Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here's a fun problem I'm hoping some of our fellow IL members can offer some advice on... my IL license expired this month. I can't renew it because NY (where I lived ~15 years ago) suspended my driving privileges for not paying a $25 fee I knew nothing about when I moved. I've done all the paperwork to un-**** that, but the NY DMV currently has a > 1 month backlog for processing that paperwork.

If I can't get my license renewed in time, I'm trying to figure out how I can still buy the car and register it in my wife's name (and just change the registration when my license is sorted). Tesla SA is telling me it's not possible, that even as a co-signer on the loan I'd have to provide a valid license/be a registrant. Is this possible through 3rd party financing? I could probably even buy the car in cash if I absolutely had to... but I'd really rather not. Has anyone ever had a situation where you needed to "buy" the car for someone else... how did you handle it?

My wife has the credit score to get a decent loan, but probably not the income by herself...

😬

Attachments

• B45AB0ED-01B1-457C-BD95-67F7FEF3D950.jpeg
    B45AB0ED-01B1-457C-BD95-67F7FEF3D950.jpeg
    543.5 KB · Views: 99
So here's a fun problem I'm hoping some of our fellow IL members can offer some advice on... my IL license expired this month. I can't renew it because NY (where I lived ~15 years ago) suspended my driving privileges for not paying a $25 fee I knew nothing about when I moved. I've done all the paperwork to un-**** that, but the NY DMV currently has a > 1 month backlog for processing that paperwork.

If I can't get my license renewed in time, I'm trying to figure out how I can still buy the car and register it in my wife's name (and just change the registration when my license is sorted). Tesla SA is telling me it's not possible, that even as a co-signer on the loan I'd have to provide a valid license/be a registrant. Is this possible through 3rd party financing? I could probably even buy the car in cash if I absolutely had to... but I'd really rather not. Has anyone ever had a situation where you needed to "buy" the car for someone else... how did you handle it?

My wife has the credit score to get a decent loan, but probably not the income by herself...
My third party bank never once asked me for a copy of my DL. You will, however, need to provide proof of insurance with your name on it. That gets tricky if you don't have a DL. But I'm not from IL so may not apply.

Reactions: 10dot
The waiting sucks. We all agree with that. I can desensitize myself to the delay. Heck, just about everything is back logged today. However, the persistent quality issues have me concerned. If anything drives me away from this purchase, it will be an unwillingness to improve the quality control. After waiting patiently this long, the thought of having a piece of garbage dumped in my driveway has me wavering. I'm really hoping (like everyone else) to see a lot of "perfect" deliveries soon.
Exactly. I really don't mind the wait. But I absolutely hate the quality lottery. I honestly did not expect these fit and finish concerns on one of their flagship models when I placed my order and committed to this wait.

I'm a shareholder too, and this entire experience is truly making me reconsider holding the stock. Yes, their quarterly targets are being met, but from a brand point-of-view the current model is simply unsustainable. If (when?) I cancel my X order I'm all but certainly never going to consider a Tesla ever again. And I know I'm not alone.

I hope that lot never fills back up. Hopefully this means they are close to done with the Plaid backlog since Jan 2022 plaid orders are starting to get EDD’s. Maybe once there are Plaids in inventory they will start producing LR’s again!
They should have never filled it in the first place. I'm obviously arm-chairing this, but it seems they had such a golden opportunity to focus on shoring-up the refreshed production pipeline and create perfect-builds by building at a forced-reduced pace due to parts constraints. Slamming-out a bunch of cars only for them to sit on the lot (can't be good for the battery pack) and collect dust makes absolutely no sense.

My third party bank never once asked me for a copy of my DL. You will, however, need to provide proof of insurance with your name on it. That gets tricky if you don't have a DL. But I'm not from IL so may not apply.

I already have insurance on my S; I don't recall them ever verifying my DL... I'd planned to just call them and tell them I traded the car/give them the new VIN and finance info. I get a bundled/group discount from work for home + auto so I doubt anything anyone else would quote could be much cheaper. Seems like this would be a common-ish situation (parents buying cars for kids comes to mind)...

Reactions: DelPhonic1 and Stro

You don't need a driver license to buy/register a car. Just use any other form of ID. Just you can't legally drive it for sure.

The charging gap might close one day but currently it's not only widening but accelerating.
It could close in a couple months if Tesla adds CCS cables to SCs. Further, charging depends on where you need to go. There are places where EA and other fast charging is fine. I could drive my XC40 from Tulsa to Dallas with EA fast chargers. But I tend to fly at those distances.

Can't help you w/ the bureaucracy, but you can put your order on a 1 month hold without losing your pricing. That would give NY time to process the paperwork.