Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I knew that eventually Buddy Christ would give me a VIN!!
I received a 10 day delivery window this past Saturday of March 21-31. It was July before that. So it took 6 days from the narrowed time window until I got my VIN. Now it’s March 27-31
Congrats on the VIN and thanks for the comment about 6 days later. That means I need to wait another 4 days for my VIN... or maybe not.

I’m not sure. The first 5 is supposedly the drive train, i.e 2 motors. The second digit is a “check digit” but I have no idea what that means

You can completely ignore the check digit. It’s to check the validity of the VIN, also used with physical bank checks. Less overtly, it can also serve as an anti-fraud mechanism, again to check for validity.

There’s some math behind the number, which you can Google if bored, but after doing the math, if the remainder is 10, the check digit can show up with the letter “X,” which someone asked about too.

Just ignore it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: croman
Congrats on the VIN and thanks for the comment about 6 days later. That means I need to wait another 4 days for my VIN... or maybe not.
Excited for you JD! As with anything Tesla, temper expectations though. I’ve had 3 date ranges and two “July” in the last month. Because you’re in the Midwest, though, I agree with @Johnny Mac that it’s real and your car is on the way.

I also believe mine is real this time, but like @bmah, I’m picking up in Fremont, so don’t expect a vin (and car) until the last week of March. Bruce, I think that’s why your dates keep getting pushed. They gave you too tight of a range (and VIN) too early and are solely focused on shipping every car they can across the country before EOQ.

Reactions: bmah and croman
That’s from 4 years ago. lol. What?
A Model Y was delivered in the last week without its seat rails attached. That’s why it’s on the checklist. Green is only digging up stuff from other car forums years ago in the pic to show that Tesla is not alone with QA issues.

I will find the scrawny dude at the delivery center to do the pulling for me. My brute strength might lead to roof cracks. Wait, that was a dream. My back is too shot from loading my boys into my M3.

• Funny
Reactions: lexus26 and Stro
No, people want you to cancel so you'll stop complaining about things that we can't change. What purpose does your complaining serve? Yes, there is some catharsis in sharing your frustration. Heck this ENTIRE THREAD is catharsis for people that have been waiting a very long time for their cars.

None of what you are complaining about will change until there is actual competition in the EV market and Tesla's order books have gaps in them. Why would you expect anyone to defend Tesla's terrible Customer Service? Especially in this thread?

FSD and AP are garbage and will suck for years (you can add TACC to that since it uses AP/FSD code). Auto wipers and auto high beams also don't work.

The only thing I disagree with your post is about the matrix lights. While you are correct that the automatic matrix features will take forever and likely not work very well, there are plenty of reports from the 3/Y that the matrix lights are better than the old lights even in low beam mode and not using the matrix tech. They are simply better lights. I am looking forward to that.

For me, I simply don't care about all of the automatic crap. I like to drive. I am capable of manipulating the vehicle's controls to make it do what I want. I have been able to change from low to high beams for decades. I can see when the windshield needs to be wiped and activate the wipers or adjust the timing/speed of them. Granted by removing stalks and other physical controls this manual manipulation will be more difficult. The only "driver aid" I use regularly is Cruise Control and I use that mainly to keep from speeding.

I am buying a Plaid X in spite of Tesla's shortcomings because I can't buy anything with this level of performance while also hauling 6 people around. Since buying my Roadster in 2010 I can never go back to an ICE.

I am nervous about the quality issues. This will be our 4th Tesla and the first 3 were excellent (2010, 2012, 2018). We have had things break and repaired under warranty but the fit and finish were all very good.

The question you have to answer is do you think that you will enjoy the car once you receive it, even if all of that automatic crap never works? Will you be able to have a positive attitude when you approach the Service folks and believe that they are trying to make your car as great as it can be? You will need to do a hard cut in your mind from pre-purchase experience to post-purchase. While you can hopefully never speak to the pre-purchase people again, realize that you will have a relationship with the Service folks and will need to get that started on the right foot.

If you can, you can salvage the experience. If not, the only EV that comes close to a Model X is the BMW iX. If that won't work for you, you may want to stick with an ICE for a few more years until there are other manufacturers that offer a model that fits your mission.
There is all this and then there are people like me: Wife and Kids want Tesla. No other choices 😀. Now even I tried looking around and cannot find anything that can match Tesla from my point of view

Reactions: DelPhonic1