Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
97D367FC-51CA-4923-81DF-D2F0F5598D40.jpeg

Hope this does not spell any forced 6 seat change doom for us 5 or 7 seat MX LR VINners in waiting. I remember the Taiwan showcase MXP was 7 seater too originally!
wonder what Elon’s obsession with pushing the 6 seat is when there are clearly 5& 7 seater value areas the 6 can’t meet today(present form)- not to mention all 3 are seating choices they carried since inception of the X.
This was the MXP 7 seater showcased in Taiwan.
FC4A28D7-A1C0-47AA-8D32-0AEEEB38B1F2.jpeg

Attachments

• 8E92776C-3A28-4B50-B130-276C44C3C3FD.jpeg
    8E92776C-3A28-4B50-B130-276C44C3C3FD.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
At that point no human can see that far ahead in 30' visibility either. Time to pull over. At some point vision will see more than the human eye-- it'll just take time and more refined programming. It already sees things I miss, but not usually. But that cat plus the dude crossing with no intersection may owe their lives to Beta. Because I surely didn't see them as the car braked and swerved hard to miss them.

Nope, in dense valley fog where we can only see 30' ahead, we're all still driving. If we didn't life would stop. Do we drive slow? Hell ya. Like 20 mph. But even then, having that extra 170 foot buffer of obstacle detection in front is huge. I've been driving dense valley fog for 20 years and it's white-knuckling it in the few trips I've driven in cars without radar distance following. TACC allows me to increase my following distance behind the cars so I don't have to be staring at their lights 30 feet in front of me.

You also conveniently sidestepped the fact that TACC doesn't currently work with vision only.

Last edited:
Reactions: gglockner
Elon has mentioned that the reason they are getting rid of Radar is the conflict caused when Radar visualizes one set of data, and Vision reports a different set of data. Lots of time and processing is necessary to sort out which data set is going to be used to direct FSD commands.

This lag consumes a tremendous amount of data for logic to determine which data stream will be best used to direct your car.

The decision has been made that Vision is the most advanced and has the highest potential to effect FSD. Logic would lead them to develop a visual system most like what humans are using (two eyes) to provide the data to the CPU (brain) to direct the best path for the car.

That is why the radar is being eliminated.
Doing so will reduse cost, free up space for other electronics, reduce power consumption, eliminate conflicting data points, save weight, make frontal crash repairs less expensive, and focus all engineering talent and asset on optimizing Vision based navigation.
My concern with using a visible light (Cameras) technique versus a radio frequency (RADAR) technique is that visible light can be impaired by dirt. RF typically cannot.

Does Tesla really have a history of cancelling orders after price changes? I’ve searched the web and can’t find any evidence of this. I realize they forced Plaid orders to move to 6 seat, but I’m not aware of a rash of cancellations by Tesla due to subsequent price increases. Does anyone have any references to support this?

They do for configuration cancellations. Quite a few folks in this thread did NOT get the call to upgrade(actual downgrade) from 5 to 6 seats for free but rather were offered to pay the higher price without losing their place in line. Not to be confused with calls last year to bump their place in line if they agreed to upgrade for the extra $6500. I got the free downgrade from 5 to 6 seats along with many others but some in the exact same boat were told they'd have to pay or cancel.

The pre-refresh orders of course were all told they'd have to pay the new price minus a $2000 discount. Past range config changes have also resulted in having to pay the new price or cancel.

• Informative
Reactions: Jbell
This makes sense, but several people on this thread are excited about getting brand new HW3-equipped Xs with radar thinking it’s going to benefit them. It may short-term, but not when they switch to single-stack. At that point it’s essentially an appendix.
I’ll have a cybertruck or a new refresh 2.0 model x before that day comes.

My MSM/Plaid/6 seater/Black interior / 20’s/No FSD just changed from August to March 23-April 11th.

Located in Az, ordered on 11/12/2021. I don’t have much expectations on this because my date had changed back in February as well.
While I am happy for you and I hope you get your car, this is such a poke in the eye. I ordered months before you and have a “July” EDD.

At that point no human can see that far ahead in 30' visibility either. Time to pull over. At some point vision will see more than the human eye-- it'll just take time and more refined programming. It already sees things I miss, but not usually. But that cat plus the dude crossing with no intersection may owe their lives to Beta. Because I surely didn't see them as the car braked and swerved hard to miss them.
Could it be that you didn’t see them because you were relying on the car instead of paying more vigilant attention than you would have been otherwise?

Reactions: sorka
They do for configuration cancellations. Quite a few folks in this thread did NOT get the call to upgrade(actual downgrade) from 5 to 6 seats for free but rather were offered to pay the higher price without losing their place in line. Not to be confused with calls last year to bump their place in line if they agreed to upgrade for the extra $6500. I got the free downgrade from 5 to 6 seats along with many others but some in the exact same boat were told they'd have to pay or cancel.

The pre-refresh orders of course were all told they'd have to pay the new price minus a $2000 discount. Past range config changes have also resulted in having to pay the new price or cancel.
I understand what you describe has occurred, but I’m still not seeing any information that Tesla initiated cancellations solely because someone ordered a car at a lower price that was then increased for all new orders. As far as I can tell, Tesla has never cancelled any orders because of a subsequent price increase (I.e., they refused to honor an older order at a lower price and cancelled the order solely because they later increased the price for new orders). This is a big difference and totally different from an individual cancelling the order.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
I understand what you describe has occurred, but I’m still not seeing any information that Tesla initiated cancellations solely because someone ordered a car at a lower price that was then increased for all new orders. As far as I can tell, Tesla has never cancelled any orders because of a subsequent price increase (I.e., they refused to honor an older order at a lower price and cancelled the order solely because they later increased the price for new orders). This is a big difference and totally different from an individual cancelling the order.

THAT's not the danger. The danger is that they'll make a configuration change that is no longer available for existing orders and then they'll allow you to order the new configuration at the current price without you losing your place in line. THAT has happened.

• Informative
Reactions: Jwalker9 and Jbell
Looks like another kiddo on the way, so we’re going to try to change our 5 seat LR order(July 2021) to a 6 seat, if they’ll let us for only a $6500 bump. Messaged the SA, I’ll let y’all know what they say. If they say we have to take the $25k price adjustment as well then I guess we’re sticking with the 5 seat for now…

On a side note, it’s crazy to me how orders take so long to fulfill that you can now have major life changes (kids, jobs, marriages, etc) in between when you order a car and when you receive it
Success! They switched me to 6 seat, kept the $89k base price plus other options. Already have the new order agreement. Website said July 2022 before the change. Says July 2022 still ayer change

THAT's not the danger. The danger is that they'll make a configuration change that is no longer available for existing orders and then they'll allow you to order the new configuration at the current price without you losing your place in line. THAT has happened.
Ok. Thanks for the clarification. I was just confused because your previous post said “they will find someway to eventually cancel your pre-price increase order”. I now know what you meant and am relieved that they won’t initiate a cancellation of my order. At this point I’m still comfortable that they will deliver what I ordered at the price on my agreement.