Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I strongly do not agree with your point of view! First off, you are complaining about Tesla, but you still agree that the range, performance, charging stations, etc. are TODAY the best - so quit belly aching... As they say: Walk the Talk - In this case, TODAY... you think the car is worth buying! In the future, perhaps other car manufacturers might surpass Tesla... who knows???

I do think my 2017 purchase was easier than my 2 cars that I bought in 2021... BUT, there were a lot less cars / people in 2017... I compare it to DELL in the 90's - Remember the personal customer service? Helping you with ANY software/hardware issues? Well, once they had millions of computers out in the world, the concept of personal customer service became exponentially impossible - I think Tesla will have to follow the same curve.

My experience with service (repairs, etc... ) over the past 4 years, has been pretty darn good - I don't want to say perfect, but way above average compared to my personal experiences over the years with Chevrolet, Porsche, Volvo, Toyota and Mercedes... (You are right, at Tesla, I don't get the German accent guy meeting me at the door - but then I have mobile service and a very easy way to schedule appointments through the APP.)

Is there room for improvement? ALWAYS! Does Tesla over hype its FSD? ABSOLUTELY! But I am proud of this American Company! It has created a product that the rest of the world is trying to copy! I am happy to buy my Tesla!
someone sounds a bit angry.

The issue is that the majority here need some kind of service right off the get go.
no matter how great the setting for appointment service is, you shouldn't be needing to schedule service seconds after paying $120k+

the biggest issue is the acceptance of such quality by the buyers, that leaves no real need for QC improvement.

Oh but those panel gaps.
On a serious note, we all comb teslas with the finest comb. But in reality, no car company makes a car without panel gaps. Check any other car you own as carefully as you do Tesla and you’ll find panel gap issues and misalignment.

I took delivery of my MX LR on march 12. Original order date was 1/27/21. The car was perfect when I bought it. No issues to date. Little cosmetic misalignment issues. Nothing major. Compared the build quality to my 2015 BMW X5, never realized it but there are panel gap issues abs misalignments on the x5 that never jumped out at me before.

Point is, we expect perfection because of the type of customers we are. But we hold Tesla to a higher standard than we should. The price of the car is for the tech, nobody should expect this company to have as good build quality as a Benz or a Porsche. That would be a silly expectation.

Tthere are so many interesting things about the Model X - and not just the Falcon Wing Doors, Yoke, glass, software eliminating redundant unnecessary and boring tasks like shifting, starting, opening and closing doors, elimination of needless switches and buttons. Seems I’ve been discovering useful, fun or cool things every week.

A new one today was discovering the turn signal electronic “ticker” changes volume by itself when the music you are playing gets louder or softer in the performance itself.

And the cornering lights that brilliantly light up the dark corners in our rural area. ( My 2020 Mercedes GLS450 sales person, tech data and sales brochure all said it had those, but it did not!)

And the incredible multiple storage areas in between the front seats with hefty covers. (My 2020 Mercedes GLS450 armrest between the seats was so flimsy it had to be replaced three times in a year after breaking when putting some arm weight on it and the storage was very limited and poorly designed - including the cell phone charger so stupidly designed that you could not pry your phone off of it without practically breaking it and your hand!)

I’m lovin’ this X - and it is significantly improved over my amazing 2018 to boot!

Tthere are so many interesting things about the Model X - and not just the Falcon Wing Doors, Yoke, glass, software eliminating redundant unnecessary and boring tasks like shifting, starting, opening and closing doors, elimination of needless switches and buttons. Seems I’ve been discovering useful, fun or cool things every week.

A new one today was discovering the turn signal electronic “ticker” changes volume by itself when the music you are playing gets louder or softer in the performance itself.

And the cornering lights that brilliantly light up the dark corners in our rural area. ( My 2020 Mercedes GLS450 sales person, tech data and sales brochure all said it had those, but it did not!)

And the incredible multiple storage areas in between the front seats with hefty covers. (My 2020 Mercedes GLS450 armrest between the seats was so flimsy it had to be replaced three times in a year after breaking when putting some arm weight on it and the storage was very limited and poorly designed - including the cell phone charger so stupidly designed that you could not pry your phone off of it without practically breaking it and your hand!)

I’m lovin’ this X - and it is significantly improved over my amazing 2018 to boot!
and those are just some of the reasons we are all here

On a serious note, we all comb teslas with the finest comb. But in reality, no car company makes a car without panel gaps. Check any other car you own as carefully as you do Tesla and you’ll find panel gap issues and misalignment.

I took delivery of my MX LR on march 12. Original order date was 1/27/21. The car was perfect when I bought it. No issues to date. Little cosmetic misalignment issues. Nothing major. Compared the build quality to my 2015 BMW X5, never realized it but there are panel gap issues abs misalignments on the x5 that never jumped out at me before.

Point is, we expect perfection because of the type of customers we are. But we hold Tesla to a higher standard than we should. The price of the car is for the tech, nobody should expect this company to have as good build quality as a Benz or a Porsche. That would be a silly expectation.
My 2021 X is way more comfortable, logical, fun and fast than my 2020 Mercedes GLS450 and does not have useless and poorly designed seats, storage, software, buttons, maintenance and fuel costs

....and I just got a VIN with EDD this weekend. Who knew?? VIN 7SAXCDE52NF3358XX
Brief update:

Considering the extremely short time frame, it's clear that another buyer in my area just passed on purchasing it. Now I'm scrambling to get an offer on our 2018 Model X while I get funds ASAP. First world problems, of course.

Today I had my first 'bad' experience with the yoke. I was picking up some Chick-Fil-A for the kids and as I was exiting the parking lot area and turning, I accidentally honked at some young girls taking pictures in front of the building as I turned the yoke. They waved and the wife yelled, 'What the F....!?" I explained that I didn't mean to, but she didn't buy it. So, be careful folks. Yokes can potentially destroy marriages.
Phew. I thought you were gonna say they got your order wrong!

Haha! How long have you been married and is your wife a model? Or a stepford wife?
Going on 10 years. She used to model, is super pretty but luckily only realized it in her late teens so she's not too self referenced. Had to go through a few to find her but well worth the wait! And to bring this back on topic, I trust her keen eye so much that I put off Delivery date until she returned from an out of town trip and could go with me.

Going on 10 years. She used to model, is super pretty but luckily only realized it in her late teens so she's not too self referenced. Had to go through a few to find her but well worth the wait! And to bring this back on topic, I trust her keen eye so much that I put off Delivery date until she returned from an out of town trip and could go with me.
you either typed that when she's next to you or you need to let her read through this thread just so she 'accidentally' read your post

Brief update:

Considering the extremely short time frame, it's clear that another buyer in my area just passed on purchasing it. Now I'm scrambling to get an offer on our 2018 Model X 75d while I get funds ASAP. First world problems, of course.
Just a bit of guidance for you on selling your 2018 Model X 75d from my own experience this month disposing of my CPO 2018 Model X 5 seat with FSD 20” with 18500 miles on it.
Carmax, Carvana, Current, and Tesla were given the chance to buy it.
Lowest offer was $68,700 and the highest was $79,400 from Tesla in trade for my new one plus a credit for sales tax in Texas that made it $85,400

Just a bit of guidance for you on selling your 2018 Model X 75d from my own experience this month disposing of my CPO 2018 Model X 5 seat with FSD 20” with 18500 miles on it.
Carmax, Carvana, Current, and Tesla were given the chance to buy it.
Lowest offer was $68,700 and the highest was $79,400 from Tesla in trade for my new one plus a credit for sales tax in Texas that made it $85,400
Tesla offered you $79,400 on your 2018? They offered me $88k on my 2020 with 15k miles with 22” 5 seater… I told them to basically shove it. My order doesn’t even have a date anyway, but I did tell them I was appalled there offer wasn’t even close to being market competitive.

Tesla offered you $79,400 on your 2018? They offered me $88k on my 2020 with 15k miles with 22” 5 seater… I told them to basically shove it. My order doesn’t even have a date anyway, but I did tell them I was appalled there offer wasn’t even close to being market competitive.

They offered me $25k on my 2018 Model S 30k miles with MCU upgrade AND FSD! Carvana and others offered $55-60k!

We do hold Tesla to a higher standard, because we can, unlike legacy auto companies who have created a system where there just is no accountability. This is why I love Tesla, yes they are messed up in many ways, but you can feel it in your bones, how they are growing, striving to do a better job every day and changing constantly before our eyes as they take steps forward and backward, and generally many more steps forward than backward.
Status Quo? No such thing at Tesla!

someone sounds a bit angry.

The issue is that the majority here need some kind of service right off the get go.
no matter how great the setting for appointment service is, you shouldn't be needing to schedule service seconds after paying $120k+

the biggest issue is the acceptance of such quality by the buyers, that leaves no real need for QC improvement.
No, not angry - just tired of hearing people complain about all of the negative "perceived" problems with the cars that Tesla makes.

Having said that, I do fully agree with you - It is really bad when you drive away with a brand new car, and some very obvious things are not working or dramatically misaligned (The falcon doors issues certainly seem to be coming up a lot, amongst other things that are mentioned here.) Where is the QC before the car is delivered? So that one point is very legitimate.

Last edited: