Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a serious note, we all comb teslas with the finest comb. But in reality, no car company makes a car without panel gaps. Check any other car you own as carefully as you do Tesla and you’ll find panel gap issues and misalignment.

I took delivery of my MX LR on march 12. Original order date was 1/27/21. The car was perfect when I bought it. No issues to date. Little cosmetic misalignment issues. Nothing major. Compared the build quality to my 2015 BMW X5, never realized it but there are panel gap issues abs misalignments on the x5 that never jumped out at me before.

Point is, we expect perfection because of the type of customers we are. But we hold Tesla to a higher standard than we should. The price of the car is for the tech, nobody should expect this company to have as good build quality as a Benz or a Porsche. That would be a silly expectation.
I've bought several new cars in my lifetime, mostly Hondas, Subarus, and BMWs. Literally none of them had any of the issues I've seen on Teslas, especially the new Model X.

The (often absurdly common) problems range far beyond panel gaps. Never have I seen new cars appear so "used" (and abused) like Teslas tend to be at delivery.

Taking it back to the SC for repairs almost seems to be part of the standard procedure now.

someone sounds a bit angry.

The issue is that the majority here need some kind of service right off the get go.
no matter how great the setting for appointment service is, you shouldn't be needing to schedule service seconds after paying $120k+

the biggest issue is the acceptance of such quality by the buyers, that leaves no real need for QC improvement.
100%. I don't understand the mental gymnastics Tesla fans go through to convince themselves that *any* of this is OK (or even normal).

100%. I don't understand the mental gymnastics Tesla fans go through to convince themselves that *any* of this is OK (or even normal).
As I look to see my delivery date may have slipped to July 2023 (per Sawyer Merritt), I'm also hoping that QC will actually be a thing by then. We give Tesla way too much grace but don't afford their competitors the same amount of grace and patience as they try to catch up. I am open to new options. Is there an Electric Range Rover or an electric G-Wagon coming before Jan 2023?😬

Reactions: Great White
I drive between NH and MA all the time. Plenty of Semi’s, I hate them. They do fade off the further north you go. There are overpasses too, even in NH but not as many as other places.

I have seen it act up a lot years ago for overpasses. I even started threads bitching about it. But for the last year or so it had been much much better. Not perfect but very good. And I saw zero difference when I switched to FSD Beta and Zero on the Radar less S.

Might depend on some settings too. I have all safeties on. But not on max. I don’t use Nav on Auto Pilot either. That will cause trouble.
Zero difference? Fair enough. My post was a sht post, my bad. Kids got to me at the end of the day.

Huh. Weird. EDD changed to Apr3-Apr24. Don’t know how to interpret that, because I assumed that beginning of quarter is for places well outside cali. I guess there is no point trying to understand Tesla delivery planning process.
No VIN, so still sitting in my dream world.
My theory is they gave up on trying to push Xs in CA recently bc so low volume, and the car is still constantly changing. The fact that my EDD with VIN moved out to April, and Fremont is only focusing on delivering 3/Ys is a new thing. When Fremont said mgmt was being lenient with holds past 3/31 shocked me.

Supposedly, they are spending more time on QA with them. All these service centers are still learning about the refresh like they did when it was released Q415ish. It really is a new car and they can probably pump out 5 clean Ys in the time it takes to do the same for 1 X. I just made up those numbers.

Still curious about @DelPhonic1 rumor about a new bumper.

Reactions: EV3_
My delivery is tomorrow (home delivery)! I drove by Tesla delivery center and found my Model X parked in the lot yesterday. Can you guys help me figure out if there are panel gaps which I should be concerned about? this is my first Model X so not sure about the build quality... paint looks fine and no dents or scratch's any where. Car was pretty dirty and and stuff on it from assembly line.

Attachments

• IMG_2564.jpg
    IMG_2564.jpg
    687.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2565.jpg
    IMG_2565.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2566.jpg
    IMG_2566.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2567.jpg
    IMG_2567.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2582.jpg
    IMG_2582.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2583.jpg
    IMG_2583.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2588.jpg
    IMG_2588.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2590.jpg
    IMG_2590.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 84
Question on tint (socal). I remember somebody posting on here where they went to get it done, can't find it. Looking for recommendations? Are you guys doing only front tint with ceramic? or removing the rear stock tint and re doing it?
Going to Extreme Edge in the OC to do the PPF but they don't do window tinting.

• Helpful
My delivery is tomorrow (home delivery)! I drove by Tesla delivery center and found my Model X parked in the lot yesterday. Can you guys help me figure out if there are panel gaps which I should be concerned about? this is my first Model X so not sure about the build quality... paint looks fine and no dents or scratch's any where. Car was pretty dirty and and stuff on it from assembly line.

I see a couple alignment and gaps that I didn't see in the VIN I examined in person. Also the edge of the tailgate trunk (below the driver's side taillight) has either residue from tape or a paint blistering issue I've seen before in white cars. But the driver's side FWD seems to sink in relative to the quarter panel piece in the first photo and the gap in that FWD and the trunk photo (2583) seems to confirm that depression relative to the trunk tailgate (which appears raised by a significant amount). But overall it seems good. I think as long as everything works, it should be fine (but hard to be sure with photos).

Good luck!

• Helpful
Make sure you're not rushed and don't sign off on it until you're satisfied with your inspection and you've had a chance to come to an agreement.

Did you pick yours up? How’d it go?
Not good. The vehicle looked good; no bad panel gaps, paint good. Problem was the seat behind the driver's seat could not move back; only forward. So eventually the seat was pressed against the driver's seat. And then you could not move the driver's seat back so that I could fit in the vehicle, The tech(s) attempted to fix and could not. They said they would have to order a new seat and no one has a clue on how long that would take. I have no idea how the vehicle could have passed a "check". I am hoping to get back into the "priority" queue for a new 2022 model.
LR MSM, 6 seat, cream, FSD
IMG_5293.jpg

Totally agree. I’m calling BS on rejecting a car because it’s dirty. Silly. Here in Atlanta in the Spring you can wash your car in the morning and it’s totally trashed with yellow pollen by end of day.
On the outside? Sure. But on the INSIDE? Numerous reports here of dirty interiors. The one I rejected had dirt in the carpet as well. No excuse for that on any new car, let alone a $100-120k one.

Not good. The vehicle looked good; no bad panel gaps, paint good. Problem was the seat behind the driver's seat could not move back; only forward. So eventually the seat was pressed against the driver's seat. And then you could not move the driver's seat back so that I could fit in the vehicle, The tech(s) attempted to fix and could not. They said they would have to order a new seat and no one has a clue on how long that would take. I have no idea how the vehicle could have passed a "check". I am hoping to get back into the "priority" queue for a new 2022 model.
View attachment 785643
It passed the "check" because there doesn't seem to be much actual QC coming out of Fremont. Small problems are very common, but these kinds of glaring issues aren't unusual, either. They seem to let the QC fall onto the service centers instead. There must be a business case for doing this, but I can't see it.

View attachment 785643
Did you try both buttons on the seat (the one below the seat and the one up by the shoulder, for the rear passenger to use)? We found on one recent X that the seat wouldn't work initially when using the button below the seat. After using the upper button to move the seat, everything worked fine after that.

Did you try both buttons on the seat (the one below the seat and the one up by the shoulder, for the rear passenger to use)? We found on one recent X that the seat wouldn't work initially when using the button below the seat. After using the upper button to move the seat, everything worked fine after that.
We tried all combinations. The upper button looked to be broken, The Service Center tech(s) spent a couple hours trying to fix the seat.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Been catching up on the last 10 pages and there seems to be two camps:
1) Tesla quality sucks! This’ll be my last Tesla or may cancel altogether!
2) Just took delivery today, ghastly panel gaps, FWD does not work, dents, missing hardware…but the car is great! Love it!
Almost seems as though Tesla also gave out rose-colored glasses with these deliveries, lol

Some seem to come with their rose colored glasses already :p

Reactions: coco135
I have to question all these phantom braking complaints. Drove home in my friends Model Y, no phantom braking. Drove my Model X on FSD Beta (vision only) 300 miles before trading, No phantom braking. Picked up Refresh S, No phantom braking.

A lot of people think it’s ok to use AutoPilot on city streets (anything but expressway). It’s not. And those folks with FSD Beta expect it to be FSD. Well we all know that it isn’t and very clearly why it’s Beta. Also while in the expressway if a car is anywhere on a merging lane. Way ahead, way behind, or next to you, and you are in the right lane it will reliably BRAKE. It’s not phantom (which means for no reason). You learn how to deal with merge traffic.
Some day you will know...

• Funny
Reactions: sorka