Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tuesday March 29.
Pre pick up details:
  1. Had issues getting bank account to connect with pay app. Got “account not found” error messages. Gave up and brought a cashiers check.
  2. SC was kind enough to move my pickup appointment 3 hours later with the assistance of my sales rep.
  3. Last minute decision to trade in 2021 MX to Tesla, their price was $10K over CarMax and as much or more than used dealers that specialize in Teslas. With sales tax savings, didn’t make sense to pursue any other alternative.
Pick up Inspection:
  1. Interior=excellent. Could not find any issues. White interior was clean, crisp, beautiful. Even had some sort of a new car chemical smell.
  2. Exterior=not so great:
    • paint chip on bottom of left front fender where black plastic was slightly pushed in. Why could they not see this and fix it prior to delivery? Did it leave the factory like this or happened during transport. They has the car for several days prior to me picking up so no good excuse.
    • one FWD pretty good, no noticeable gap issues. Other FWD goes down a bit too far showing alignment offsets. Weatherseal on top folded over a few inches. Both obvious to even the untrained eye.
    • hood had a slight elevation in one front corner creating a bigger than normal gap.
    • Paint quality looked very good throughout, no drips or other weird flaws.
    • headlights/tail-lights clear and as expected. No condensation issues.
    • new style charging door and “badge” symbol for Plaid. Personally, I like both of these. Reps commented this was the first badge symbol they’ve seen recently others were coming through with letters.
  3. Delivery education: non existent.…here’s your car, figure it out. Personnel was friendly enough but just didn’t have the time to walk me through anything more than they have to like “sign here saying you accept the car”. Fortunately I had a buddy who‘s been a long time tesla owner and very techy to help figure out the refresh nuances...much different than pre-refresh X’s.
  4. Driving experience:
    • Seats= A+. Comfy!
    • Yoke=driving down roads is a dream, armrests allows for relaxed holding of bottom of yoke. Just need to adjust height & depth of yoke to desired spot. Parking lots with tight turns were a bit more challenging, hand fly’s off the yoke sometimes when one handed turning. Periodically would hit some control buttons by accident; wiper, etc. Still trying to adapt to the maneuvering part, think I’ll figure it out once I have a few more days with it. Starting to like the blinkers and windshield washer controls better than stalks, time will tell.
    • Screen=amazing resolution. Don’t mind swiping into park & reverse, its very quick to react. Previous X had delay or sometimes would meet to flip stalk to drive twice before it would actually change gears. Horizontal screen is better than vertical. Back up camera and side cameras seem different, more of a fish eye lens for a wider view than what I remember my previous X had.
    • Ride=Much quieter than older X’s probably due to double pane glass, suspension seems improved. Still a little road noise from tires where undercoating would help. No Active Noise Cancellation found in software settings (likely old version).
    • Speed= Crazy Fast…no words to describe other than “HANG ON!!” My hand actually fell off the yoke when I stomped on it. Must have been the G-forces.
  5. MCU= while sitting in the car at SC adjusting settings, had the screen go off twice. Thought it was just powering down. As it turns out, after leaving and driving down the road, screen & dash would go black without any reason. A bit unnerving when driving a new car at night and losing all information (speed, nav, etc). Car continued to drive normally and headlights/blinkers etc. worked fine. Shut down 8-10 times over the next two hours of driving. Used two thumbwheels pressed at same time to reboot. Screen came back up and either worked fine for a while or would get stuck loading and shut back down. Not fun dealing with that on the highway. Fortunately my techy friend was triaging the software while I focused keeping the car in my own lane and adjusting speed based on other cars.
Immediately made a service appointment citing the above items and my SC advisor is looking into them already. Went to a body shop for paint chip repair that specialized in Tesla’s, they are submitting a claim to Tesla under warranty.

Are these issues acceptable for the price of the car? No way! Should quality control at the factory or SC catch these and fix prior to delivery? Absolutely! Future competition will eventually force Tesla to address these earlier on.

Fortunately, after reading hundreds of pages in this forum, I knew what to expect and am not surprised at all. I’m confident all of them will be resolved in short order to my satisfaction and I will then start to really enjoy the car. Next task is PPF (paint protection film), window tint, Ceramic coating.

Thanks to all for providing a support mechanism and knowledge base to learn from.

Photos for your benefit:
Love your detailed thoughts. I getting more and more anxious to get my starship. That red is just 🔥

Hey guys, I ordered pre-refresh around Nov 2020, in Toronto. LR 5seater, still no end in sight. I see the price has increased by about 25k since I ordered. I was going to lease it as this would be my first tesla/ev, and I am skeptical of the yoke. But I'm wondering if it would be better to just buy it? Thanks.
Definitely buy it... From a financial perspective, even if you keep it for just 3 years, the overall cost of ownership will be way less given the significant increase in the purchase price of the car (which will be reflected at time of sale, 3 years from now.) If you convert the lease to a loan, you will essentially have the same payments, but at the end - IF YOU SELL IT - you will get more money back.

Reactions: msm859
I really want you to get your car man, but I still don’t understand why you didn’t push back on them canceling your order. At a minimum, you’re out $2K, and you’re waiting longer.

I’m strangely curious about what you said to the SA because I have to imagine it was a pretty strong threat about canceling that a manager found credible…

I don’t mean to pour salt on the wound, but why aren’t you fighting them instead of venting here? Venting is all good though.
I’ve tried. As you would imagine, no one over there wants to listen and that service advisor is now gone.

It was a time when we were all bewildered about the timeline and instead of just accepting the situation, frustration mounted. It was also a time when we thought our service advisors actually had some meaningful role in this process, so he was my main punching bag. My guess is that he got tired of my threatening to cancel. He definitely got the last laugh.

Reactions: groundy
Just received a call from the Marina Del Rey CA delivery center. Some one didn’t show up and canceled so they asked if I wanted the VIN. I ordered MSM Plaid but they have a White one with all of the same other specs. Soooo…

Officially VINnned 7SAXCBE6XNF3379XX built 3/26. I was told it was not a reject lol
My pickup will also be Marina Del Rey, no VIN yet....please post about the quality of their customer service ....my OD 3-3-21/MXLR/5 seater/EDD April 18

Question, when u finance through tesla, how do you hold the payment? Will the money deposit to tesla directly?, or will deposit into ur account?
They get the money directly, it's all handled through the app. In fact they even have a system that allows you to do an ACH transfer directly from your back account for down payment/etc so no need to get a cashier's check. They even had my (not super large) local bank supported.

Gorgeous, but I am not sure I would have accepted it.
I considered not accepting but was fairly confident the next vehicle would still have some issue to deal with. Had I known about the MCU shutting down, I definitely would have rejected it. Unfortunately that came after paying and driving down the road. Confident it's a software update issue, many updates have come out since October 2021. If not, I'll insist on a new MCU. Hard to believe, service centers don't software update them upon arrival. Lame!

Reactions: Donjo and KidsEyeDr
They get the money directly, it's all handled through the app. In fact they even have a system that allows you to do an ACH transfer directly from your back account for down payment/etc so no need to get a cashier's check. They even had my (not super large) local bank supported.
Thanks, but if i went for delivery day and decided not to accept the car, how to stop the money being transfer into their account, is that after i hit accept?

They provided me with a loaner vehicle, a 2017 Model X. So apparently that exempts them from a lemon law claim in Texas. However, the loaner vehicle has a loud noise coming from the left front axle, and the vehicle shakes during acceleration. I have tried to notify the service center to address this but they are not responding. It is incredibly difficult to get in touch with them. I have to call an 800 number at Tesla, go through a phone tree, be placed on hold, then transferred to the service center. More often than not, when I am transferred the call is answered by a computer saying "this voicemail box has not been set up," then I am disconnected.
Man, I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I have been driving Teslas since 2010 and to see the company go downhill like this is sad to me.

The noise and vibration is a known issue w/ the older Xs. Supposedly it is fixed in the Refresh but time will tell.

But it just occurred to me that since this is a loaner, you can't schedule service through the app since it's not your car. Damn. If the SC is not too far away I would just show up and demand a different loaner.

The inability to speak to a human is one of the reasons my wife is pretty much done w/ Tesla. She doesn't want me to get this X. Says I should just keep my XC40 Recharge and wait until the other manufacturers have competitive offerings.

LOL just got back from Irvine SC - thought we could pickup the Plaid today.......but they need to fix a few things so rescheduled for tomorrow (if they are able to do some fixes) - end of quarter push still exists - the SA said, "Elon is correct about not pushing but local SCs still want to and we want customers to take delivery by tomorrow night, we will open as late as we can"

1st off, Irvine SC is super friendly and they let you inside the vehicle and take as long as you need to inspect the vehicle before paying/accepting

Exterior was 98% perfect so quality control is SIGNIFICANTLY better compared to my f***;d up 2020 March Model Y Performance

The moment I started to check out the interior, the driver captain's chair would not move at all - the tech took it to the back and said they need take apart the captains chairs tomorrow to check wiring connections vs. having to replace the chair. Thus, I wasn't able to check out the rest of the interior

There were about 8 other MX's around the lot, there's a white LR next to me that had SIGNIFICANT GAPS slated for delivery tomorrow - a lot of glaring gaps around the rear windows, FWDs, and around the rocker panels.

Keep ya'll posted tomorrow night "if" we accept delivery. The SA even said "make sure you don't accept or pay tonight until you get to see the car tomorrow" - super nice folks!

Last edited:
Just did the disclosures in the app. The odometer disclosure shows 15 miles. Is that too much? I forget what others are typically seeing.
Got another text just now saying to pay now and accept the agreements today to avoid any delays tomorrow. I went through the disclosures and agreements but did not do the payment of course. Not doing that until I inspect it.

Tesla delivered my X Plaid in undrivable condition with a cracked windshield, bumper needing replacement, doors which didn't work among many other issues. They took the vehicle back to the service center hours after delivery. They have had the vehicle for 2 months now in the service center and each time they address an issue, something else pops up preventing them from returning the vehicle to me. The latest issue is a suspension malfunction making it not safe to drive, so they expect they will need the car for yet another month. Has anyone else dealt with a new car requiring three months of service to make it drivable? Not sure what to think at this point.

Have you simply asked them to give you a new car instead of a Lemon?

I'm surprised we haven't seen any Acceleration Shudder reports in the LR..especially the Plaid. It's worse than ever with the refresh S Plaid.
As a new X plaid owner, previously a 2020 XLR, the shudder on the plaid is non-existent (so far). Very smooth and vibration free. Even my low mile XLR had a noticeable, albeit slight shudder under acceleration at most times. IMO a “night and day“ difference. Would like to hear from other owners of their experience and if this should be of concern to those waiting.

FWIW, I switched from a 5 seat order to a 6 (through Jorge), but it did not change timeline at all. I ordered in June of 2021 and my EDD was July 2022 and it still is after the change. We weren't looking to speed it up, though, just to get what better fits us (the family has gone through some changes in size since ordering!) without the huge increase in price.
How did you switch to the 6 seater through Jorge? I want to switch mine too but want to keep original order date pricing and just pay for 6 seat config

FWIW, I switched from a 5 seat order to a 6 (through Jorge), but it did not change timeline at all. I ordered in June of 2021 and my EDD was July 2022 and it still is after the change. We weren't looking to speed it up, though, just to get what better fits us (the family has gone through some changes in size since ordering!) without the huge increase in price.
How did you change the seat config w Jorge? I want to change my one too but don’t want the price increased to current pricing.