Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
does the “open fwd fully at this location” always work? i tried saving it in my home garage but still doesn’t open fully - I have enough space to the ceiling but it still stops 3/4 way up - even tried resetting and saving the location to open fully
Generally yes. But SETTING the location to open fully, only uses the top facing sensor. When actually opening, the normally side facing sensor are also in play. As the door opens, the side facing sensors end up pointing upwards. So even if the location is set, the side sensors may cause the doors to stop partially open. I also suspect (no way to verify) the coverage angle of the FWD side sensors is much wider than the rooftop sensor. After all the sensors in the FWD also affect the front seat doors.

My garage ceiling is fourteen feet with a twelve foot door (built to accommodate my RV). I had a devil of a time just getting the top sensor to offer the "fully open at this location" prompt. I ended up lowering the door to about 8 feet, and parking directly under it, just to get the prompt.

Hi All, I am still waiting for April 2021 MX 7 seat order. This post is regarding another issue reg the auto pilot on my model Y. I haven’t used autopilot extensively until my trip to Grand Canyon this weekend. It was fine for the first 200 - 300 miles of driving. Buy on the second day of the trip autopilot started braking suddenly atleast 15 times and it was mostly while going downhill in the range of 5 - 15 miles and I decided not to use autopilot thinking that it may be due to road conditions. But yesterday on the third day of the trip I decided to use it again since the roads were in very good shape. I was crushing at 75 mph in autopilot and decided to change the lane to give way for another car and moved to the left lane with a safe distance from the truck behind me. To my horrific surprise autopilot slammed on the breaks causing it to drop the speed by more than 25 miles. The truck behind me had to slam the brakes so that it won’t rear end me and I was able to accelerate and get out of the situation, but it was a near crash experience and completely shattered my confidence in autopilot. Mine is barely 4 months old with less than 4 k miles on it. How common is this issue, assuming this is a software issue are there any solutions. It scared me enough to write this in the middle of my trip.

• Informative
Reactions: lexus26 and sorka
Is anyone got this page when you click manage on dashboard page?
67DF7CAE-9954-4D93-A2ED-A8872BFB87D3.png

Hi All, I am still waiting for April 2021 MX 7 seat order. This post is regarding another issue reg the auto pilot on my model Y. I haven’t used autopilot extensively until my trip to Grand Canyon this weekend. It was fine for the first 200 - 300 miles of driving. Buy on the second day of the trip autopilot started braking suddenly atleast 15 times and it was mostly while going downhill in the range of 5 - 15 miles and I decided not to use autopilot thinking that it may be due to road conditions. But yesterday on the third day of the trip I decided to use it again since the roads were in very good shape. I was crushing at 75 mph in autopilot and decided to change the lane to give way for another car and moved to the left lane with a safe distance from the truck behind me. To my horrific surprise autopilot slammed on the breaks causing it to drop the speed by more than 25 miles. The truck behind me had to slam the brakes so that it won’t rear end me and I was able to accelerate and get out of the situation, but it was a near crash experience and completely shattered my confidence in autopilot. Mine is barely 4 months old with less than 4 k miles on it. How common is this issue, assuming this is a software issue are there any solutions. It scared me enough to write this in the middle of my trip.
It's called Phantom braking and it is a thing. Very common. My wife has banned the use of AP when she's in the car due to it. Tesla's are great cars to drive. Just drive them :)

You can try recalibrating the cameras (and make sure they are clean) but I haven't found this to make a difference in our 2018 MS.
Keep checking in for more vinners only to see everyone's garage measurements....lol
Sorry! Coming from a Roadster and MS I hadn't pondered the height of my garage and garage door before.

Besides, EOQ is over, we need something to talk about while Tesla regroups and starts building cars again :)

Reactions: Jbell and Choco
It's called Phantom braking and it is a thing. Very common. My wife has banned the use of AP when she's in the car due to it. Tesla's are great cars to drive. Just drive them :)

You can try recalibrating the cameras (and make sure they are clean) but I haven't found this to make a difference in our 2018 MS.

Sorry! Coming from a Roadster and MS I hadn't pondered the height of my garage and garage door before.

Besides, EOQ is over, we need something to talk about while Tesla regroups and starts building cars again :)
You can use autopilot / FSD with your foot on the accelerator and as long as your reaction time is << her “WTF time”, you can smooth out phantom braking and get away with it.

It has improved but I still have to keep my foot touching the accelerator just to deflect that occasional “I hate this” and “Tesla ruined autopilot with FSD” 😆

Yes, phantom braking. Big problem with no current fix. As you said, it can be dangerous with sudden out of the blue decelerations. My 2022 Y does the same.

Yes, phantom braking. Big problem with no current fix. As you said, it can be dangerous with sudden out of the blue decelerations. My 2022 Y does the same.
And to be fair, I had a great morning driving 70+ miles and had let off my guard and what I think may have been phantom braking did nearly get me rear ended.

I say “may have been” because also when you pass a new speed limit sign the car adjusts the max speed (if the speed limit is different from the prior speed limit signage) and sometimes it’s bit aggressive about that (especially if the max speed set previously was a bit over the actual speed limit…. Not that I’d ever do that…)

So that’s not phantom braking per se but it should be slightly less emphatic braking (less jerk) as with sometimes when it brakes for a red light like a moron waiting until the last two seconds 😆😳.

Reactions: Zygote1975
You can use autopilot / FSD with your foot on the accelerator and as long as your reaction time is << her “WTF time”, you can smooth out phantom braking and get away with it.

It has improved but I still have to keep my foot touching the accelerator just to deflect that occasional “I hate this” and “Tesla ruined autopilot with FSD” 😆
Agreed. But FOR ME keeping my foot on a hair trigger to counteract phantom braking and keeping my hands on a hair trigger to counteract the car trying to put me into a k-wall, takes MORE energy than just driving the car. I still mess w/ AP when by myself to see if it's getting better but it remains a party trick.