Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, mine is fresh out of the Fremont factory (May build date) and I don't think it has the swivel. I only had a few minutes with it before I dropped off to get PPF, so I may have missed it, but the button where it should be (as shown in the Twitter video) said, "inactive".
This was confusing because several people who have recently taken delivery of Model Xs shortly before you had the tilting screen, but they also had higher VINs like 341 or 342.

I was mistaken I though SA stood for stupid azz, thanks for correcting me
While I've had a pretty negative experience overall (very poor initial build, later VIN mixups, early April VIN is stuck in Fremont for no clear reason), virtually everyone I speak to at my local Service Center and Tesla in general are patient, kind, and intelligent. If I was to complain about anything, it's that Tesla corporate seems to do a poor job informing them and overworks them in general.

This all of course rolls downhill to the customers, but I think it's important to remember that the SAs are just doing their job. I'm convinced that 99% of our frustrations are born out of corporate's policies and overall structure.

They’re in plaid and regular after a certain build date in mid April. It’s possible some vehicles were in transit for weeks so current deliveries could be missing the feature because they were built 5-7 weeks ago.
I picked up yesterday -- a LR, not a Plaid. As I said, my delivery advisor said that it wasn't included -- and indeed, the screen did not appear to tilt -- but when my wife pushed a magic button on the touchscreen, it pushed out from the dash and tilted.

While I've had a pretty negative experience overall (very poor initial build, later VIN mixups, early April VIN is stuck in Fremont for no clear reason), virtually everyone I speak to at my local Service Center and Tesla in general are patient, kind, and intelligent. If I was to complain about anything, it's that Tesla corporate seems to do a poor job informing them and overworks them in general.

This all of course rolls downhill to the customers, but I think it's important to remember that the SAs are just doing their job. I'm convinced that 99% of our frustrations are born out of corporate's policies and overall structure.
I agree: our delivery advisors were, as you say, patient, kind and intelligent. Their knowledge base wasn't as high as I'd have expected (they also had trouble activating our fobs), but I agree, they are overworked and underinformed. They were VERY patient with us: we took a long time to look over the car before we accepted it.

This is a bit of a rant. My 2018 XLR uses radar for proximity, and probably some situational awareness. I’m happy with that. I’ve read that Refreshes do not have radar and will rely on cameras for proximity and situational awareness. I was leery of this because cameras use visible light (they may have some IR capabilities), but basically visible light. Cameras are susceptible to dust and other ‘crud’ obscuring the lens. I’ve had several experiences in which heavy rain has caused the cameras to wonk out. Got a message saying that some function is not available. Today we drove through some heavy rain (Seattle area). Engaged lane centering and, wow the system had some quirky moments. Radar had no problems.
Question is this. How well will a camera-based system perform in limited light environments? Are the Refreshed cameras able to ‘see’ in the dark (as in Night Vision)? Anyone have any experience with this? Good or bad.

This is a bit of a rant. My 2018 XLR uses radar for proximity, and probably some situational awareness. I’m happy with that. I’ve read that Refreshes do not have radar and will rely on cameras for proximity and situational awareness. I was leery of this because cameras use visible light (they may have some IR capabilities), but basically visible light. Cameras are susceptible to dust and other ‘crud’ obscuring the lens. I’ve had several experiences in which heavy rain has caused the cameras to wonk out. Got a message saying that some function is not available. Today we drove through some heavy rain (Seattle area). Engaged lane centering and, wow the system had some quirky moments. Radar had no problems.
Question is this. How well will a camera-based system perform in limited light environments? Are the Refreshed cameras able to ‘see’ in the dark (as in Night Vision)? Anyone have any experience with this? Good or bad.
This was my #1 concern being in the Seatle area as well. From the videos I’ve seen, it seems to handle just fine from people testing it in downpours down south. Wish they had kept the radar

Reactions: aerodyne
Received my Plaid at home today. OMG what a beast. a monster. 50-130 comes at a blink of an eye. Smooth, silent, relaxed and feeling in total control. I can’t wait to get some summer tires to match these all seasons, to really feel the suspension, handling and high speed. Brakes seemed quite powerful for a couple quick bursts. Yoke I have to get used to, but again at high speed it felt just wonderful.

Got the swivel screen, had a charger in it but no sunshade. The wifey is impressed by the feeling of quality, tho she was much less so with my 2018.

I’ll post more of my thoughts after i’ve had it awhile.

Attachments

• 700C3AA9-4C7C-4280-B495-E29533D45D35.jpeg
    700C3AA9-4C7C-4280-B495-E29533D45D35.jpeg
    948.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 6D41F4FD-FF78-4A56-81C2-4C0A32CFF2FA.jpeg
    6D41F4FD-FF78-4A56-81C2-4C0A32CFF2FA.jpeg
    660.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 9A408EFC-C2BF-41F4-9007-2A9F4F6AA0D4.jpeg
    9A408EFC-C2BF-41F4-9007-2A9F4F6AA0D4.jpeg
    650.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 5E40A2FB-4A34-4CFE-92ED-CB3D5A821235.jpeg
    5E40A2FB-4A34-4CFE-92ED-CB3D5A821235.jpeg
    443.8 KB · Views: 97
  • A8F16253-BBEA-4628-9143-4AA180BB8798.jpeg
    A8F16253-BBEA-4628-9143-4AA180BB8798.jpeg
    402.4 KB · Views: 96
  • AF832AB7-F66B-495B-ABE2-A8A340554DD2.jpeg
    AF832AB7-F66B-495B-ABE2-A8A340554DD2.jpeg
    834.2 KB · Views: 92
  • B9A081B8-EE0F-432F-AF08-892DA3E47C4A.jpeg
    B9A081B8-EE0F-432F-AF08-892DA3E47C4A.jpeg
    507.5 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Received my Plaid at home today. OMG what a beast. a monster. 50-130 comes at a blink of an eye. Smooth, silent, relaxed and feeling in total control. I can’t wait to get some summer tires to match these all seasons, to really feel the suspension, handling and high speed. Brakes seemed quite powerful for a couple quick bursts. Yoke I have to get used to, but again at high speed it felt just wonderful.

Got the swivel screen, had a charger in it but no sunshade. The wifey is impressed by the feeling of quality, tho she was much less so with my 2018.

For the life of me I don’t understand why it’s so hard for Tesla to fix the worm.
Anyways…hope all is well other than that…enjoy!

Congratulations! She’s beautiful!

For the life of me I don’t understand why it’s so hard for Tesla to fix the worm.
Anyways…hope all is well other than that…enjoy!
I noticed it once and forgot about it. It’s a blip, literally. The entire layout of the dash and yoke is kinda, art, to me. Yoke worm is a human imperfection in a gorgeous setting. Only until I was driving and sitting in this magnificent space to pilot this car did i feel this way. Or maybe, the worm adds character. There are other things like our hands and other ‘stuff’ that has veins and we’re like, good.

Need the link for the spread sheet

I noticed it once and forgot about it. It’s a blip, literally. The entire layout of the dash and yoke is kinda, art, to me. Yoke worm is a human imperfection in a gorgeous setting. Only until I was driving and sitting in this magnificent space to pilot this car did i feel this way. Or maybe, the worm adds character. There are other things like our hands and other ‘stuff’ that has veins and we’re like, good.
That’s One way to look at it.

P.S
I don’t know if they have any PR openings but worth a shot.

Yea, Bentley Bentayga starts at only $160, seems pretty cheap in comparison
If it were electric (and offered a seven seat version) I would definitely give it a look. I just read about it and it’s super nice.
Oh and Bentley brags they have 24 billion trim combinations, where Tesla is continually minimizing trim combinations (I guess both approaches can be successful, but Bentley’s is going to require more organization and data management) 😆

Last edited:
Reactions: FDEWEESE