Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was my recent answer from Tesla when I texted them…
27D65DE3-5641-43FF-AA7F-81D0A70E9BA3.jpeg

I ran into a someone who works at Tesla Fremont factory at a Chipotle today.

Here is what he said:
They recently pre refresh merged S and X assembly lines and the assembly line automation had some bugs which slowed them down. Lack of resources meant they had to borrow people working on 3 and Y assembly lines but that didn't work out as expected. Now they have a dedicated team working on S and X assembly line automation, these are some pretty smart people and the quality of cars in coming weeks will be top notch. The current ask for assembly to output is not feasible but they are doing as much as they can to crank out high quality vehicles. Expect Plaid to get preference over LR as the extra money helps with the hiring/maintaining automation on the assembly line.

I am in same boat as everyone with EDD Dec 2022 - April 2023. The guy sounded confident and may be there is a ray of hope.

Side Note: The guy was jacked, 20 inch bisceps easy. Looks like he does heavy lifts both on and off work ha.
He’s jacked because he spends more time at the gym than at Fremont factory . If you see him again, please tell him to get back to work.

View attachment 806366
A gas line during th 1973 Oil Embargo. BTW, 86¢ per gallon in 1973 works out to $5.66 today in real dollars.
I remember those line at our station. Also, odd/even days based on your license plate, and checking the gas gauge on customer buying gas to make sure they had less than 1/2 a tank. The price had shot up from $0.29 to near $1.00 in 2 months. This price increase and the subsequence price increases resulted in all of the small car version of previous cars in the late 70s and 80s. Like from a 1970 Mustang with V-8 302 going to a 1980s Mustang 2 with a 4-cylinder with 100 less horsepower. They sucked. Glad we have EV alternatives today.

Ok, different tug of war this morning. Not sure if happier, or just more confused. EDD from "July 2022" on Wednesday, to "Dec 2022- Apr 2023" on Thursday, and now "June 5 - June 26" on Friday morning. I'll believe it when I see a VIN ... maybe. :rolleyes:
That's good! Mine order date is June 27th, white on white, 5 seater. Still says Dec-Apr 22. So this gives me some hope

Reactions: kheel and goldenage
Reminds me of the Cabbage Patch dolls fiasco a couple of decades back. Stupid looking dolls, at least to me, that caught on with every little girl wanting one all of a sudden. The manufacturer was caught flat footed and couldn't make enough to meet demand. This led to bribing store personnel to hold one when the next shipment arrived, friends stealing them from one another, and fistfights between soccer moms in Toys 'R Us all over the country.
You just dated yourself.

Well I was trying to point out that the high volume cars are just that — high volume, flying off the line.

Like, the Model X is made for sentimental reasons, didn’t Elon literally say so some time ago? It is NOT high volume.

Want a Tesla fast, get a high volume Tesla

View attachment 806366
A gas line during th 1973 Oil Embargo. BTW, 86¢ per gallon in 1973 works out to $5.66 today in real dollars.
Remember those like it was yesterday...

They could have saved us a lot of trouble and heartburn if the place holder didn't push the deliveries by a year. "TBD" would have worked better
Eh be careful what you wish for. Weeks ago (in April), after I lined up my insurance and financing, my delivery appointment got canceled ~24 hours prior due to a mix-up on my VIN... and my EDD went to TBD.

And it's been stuck there ever since.

And literally no one at Tesla can tell me when I'll see my car. And I'm told that I absolutely cannot get a new VIN, or else risk losing my pricing.

So I think they have "TBD" reserved for when your car gets sent to Fremont-purgatory (seemingly never to be heard from again).

In all seriousness, at this point I think I'm close to giving up (maybe that's what they want?).

Last edited:
Ok, different tug of war this morning. Not sure if happier, or just more confused. EDD from "July 2022" on Wednesday, to "Dec 2022- Apr 2023" on Thursday, and now "June 5 - June 26" on Friday morning. I'll believe it when I see a VIN ... maybe. :rolleyes:
Yep. EDD is ESTIMATED Delivery Date. Until you have a VIN and delivery date all you have is a best guess, and Tesla has pessimistic since so many things are out of their control. Apple is doing the same thing with Macs and other devices and still missing delivery windows by 1-2 months on BTO configurations.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
This epic, awesome, helpful thread has hit many milestones over the last 14 months including over 30,000 posts on over 1,500 pages. It's about to hit another milestone with 3 million views...incredible!

One of the recurring themes is folks fearing they will be the last one here and they will be tasked with turning out the lights. This led me to be curious about whether the pace of posting comments was slowing. It isn't slowing as shown in the graph below. I'm still convinced I'll be the last to get my X 😁.

View attachment 789289

Thread activity continues at a frenetic pace...especially the last few days. I'll try to post this graph every 100 pages.
1653057796421.png