Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The email when the status is "On hold" says:

"If your order remains on hold on <date> or is placed on hold again, we will assume that you no longer wish to take delivery. Your order will be automatically canceled and your order fee forfeited."

Not sure I understand the words highlighted in red. Does that mean they can still place another hold and cancel our order?

I have a Y and don't have a fob. I was excited to get a fob for my MXP when it is delivered as it will be my wife's car. Does anyone know if an older key fob (ebay is mostly filled with model X key fobs for pre-refresh Model X) can be configured for the refreshed models? Or do I need to get the newer one for some reason?

Thanks

• Helpful
Reactions: n.one.one
The argument people give is the app can unlock the car just like the fob when you walk up, if you leave the app open on your phone.

For me the app is an issue because I do not carry my phone with me sometimes when I drive.
I walk up to the car with the phone in my pocket and the door opens like magic. I don’t have to touch the phone to do this. So, it operates just like the fob in that respect. You just have to make sure the app is always running in the background.

I walk up to the car with the phone in my pocket and the door opens like magic. I don’t have to touch the phone to do this. So, it operates just like the fob in that respect. You just have to make sure the app is always running in the background.
No one wants to use the fob to open just the driver's side front door. The phone key does that. We want to open all 4 doors, or at least the fwd, from 100ft away as we approach the vehicle with our kids (or hands full) by just reaching into a pocket and double tapping the fob.

If mine does not come with a fob (at this point I assume it will not) I will at least buy one on the secondary market. They seem to be like $80-90 on eBay in unused condition. It is a special vehicle and I want to try the fob. Mostly to quickly open the doors from the fob in my pocket without having to remove phone, unlock, open Tesla app, wait, open doors. I completely understand how this is not the use everyone wants or needs and completely understand why Tesla no longer includes them. Let me know if you want to give me a good deal on yours 😂
Actually the phone key works as well as if not better than the fob key. One hint, make sure the App on your phone has location services set to “Always” and not just “when using.” If you have more than one vehicle in the app, the desired vehicle must be one last selected in the app (“on top” so to speak)

I have a Y and don't have a fob. I was excited to get a fob for my MXP when it is delivered as it will be my wife's car. Does anyone know if an older key fob (ebay is mostly filled with model X key fobs for pre-refresh Model X) can be configured for the refreshed models? Or do I need to get the newer one for some reason?

Thanks
You need to get the fob designed for the refresh. Fobs from legacy cars will not work. The tech is entirely different. Besides, the older fobs could only be activated at a Service Center.

The wait is excruciating, especially for long time reservation holders but what choice do we have?

I get it. Just like the stupid garage remote thing, was standard on the 3 when it first came out, which i got, but then when i had to buy another one, you had to buy it separately. Same thing with the model Y.
I don’t think that is true, the HomeLink kit has always been an aftermarket add-on for the 3 and Y. I was annoyed at the time, that I could not even order it until after I took delivery of the Model 3. So another multi-week wait.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gurl3x4me
No one wants to use the fob to open just the driver's side front door. The phone key does that. We want to open all 4 doors, or at least the fwd, from 100ft away as we approach the vehicle with our kids (or hands full) by just reaching into a pocket and double tapping the fob.
Sounds like a good idea to buy the fob for that need. The two fobs I received three weeks ago with delivery remain in a drawer, unused from day one. I think that’s Tesla’s point - If you need them, buy them, but in many cases they are wasting money by providing them to people who don’t want them and won’t ever use them. Same with the mobile charger.

Sounds like a good idea to buy the fob for that need. The two fobs I received three weeks ago with delivery remain in a drawer, unused from day one. I think that’s Tesla’s point - If you need them, buy them, but in many cases they are wasting money by providing them to people who don’t want them and won’t ever use them. Same with the mobile charger.
Then they should remove the cost of those items from the car. But they are not. They're doing it only to cut costs, which is pretty crappy.

Two keys + mobile connector that is almost $600 they took out of the car. From your reply I assume you think I am being cheap but why should I eat the cost vs a half a trillion dollar company?

Not to mention the car is short radar, and probably a handful of other things while our wait times keep getting pushed further back.
I agree with you it’s nitpicky bullshit for them to take that away especially on a high-end car. Just shortsighted petty business move. It’s the kind of thing that’s not gonna stop anybody from buying the car but it just pisses everybody off a little bit.

I don’t think that is true, the HomeLink kit has always been an aftermarket add-on for the 3 and Y. I was annoyed at the time, that I could not even order it until after I took delivery of the Model 3. So another multi-week wait.
This isn't accurate - my wife ordered her Model 3 on the day reservations opened, took delivery in April, 2018, and HomeLink (and lifetime premium connectivity) were included.

Il
l’ll gladly take your Fobs for when my MX arrives. 😆I personally prefer them to phone key.