Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker. I have a 7 seater on order. June 25, 2021 order date. Current delivery window Aug 29-Sept 19. I received the call yesterday stating that my actual delivery estimate in first quarter of 2023, but if I move to Plaid, then I am guaranteed delivery in the next two weeks. Tesla will honor the 2021 Plaid pricing. Worth it?

Same thing is happening to me! I bought a MYP in June for 67k (right before a couple price hikes) and can likely sell it for a 10k profit to Tesla. Tesla called and said I can upgrade to the Plaid AND they won't upcharge me for the 6-seat option (I had initially selected 5-seats so $6,500 credit) AND they will honor my initial pricing. So... they are offering me a Plaid for $119,990. I love my MYP but I think only a fool would pass this up... but please let me know if I am missing something.

Reactions: neo1738
Tesla clearly has a lot of Plaids coming through without buyers and really don't want them going into inventory while people wait for other variants

But if you stick to your guns and let Tesla put these vehicles into inventory, prices are going to come down across the board... These are effectively price cuts, the X Plaid was $99,990 in Jan 2021 before the Refresh happened and added +$20k to the price. And it stayed at $119,990 until the beginning of this year, then it skyrocketed to $138,990 through the mandatory 6-seater option and an arbitrary $12.5k price increase.

Long story short, this only looks like a good deal because Tesla had increased the price so much. Prices are now headed back down.

Tesla clearly has a lot of Plaids coming through without buyers and really don't want them going into inventory while people wait for other variants

But if you stick to your guns and let Tesla put these vehicles into inventory, prices are going to come down across the board... These are effectively price cuts, the X Plaid was $99,990 in Jan 2021 before the Refresh happened and added +$20k to the price. And it stayed at $119,990 until the beginning of this year, then it skyrocketed to $138,990 through the mandatory 6-seater option and an arbitrary $12.5k price increase.

Long story short, this only looks like a good deal because Tesla had increased the price so much. Prices are now headed back down.

I don't think there'll be a "surplus" of Plaids since there are Plaid orders out there without VINs. I read it as a way for them to make more money and clear out the backlog LR orders. If they delivered those old LR models, they wouldn't make much money... but if they present a "deal", it's more cash coming in.

As far as prices heading back down, I doubt it. As long as there are people still ordering at the current pricing, they don't have much incentive to lower prices.

• Helpful
Reactions: 127.0.0.0
I don't think there'll be a "surplus" of Plaids since there are Plaid orders out there without VINs. I read it as a way for them to make more money and clear out the backlog LR orders. If they delivered those old LR models, they wouldn't make much money... but if they present a "deal", it's more cash coming in.

As far as prices heading back down, I doubt it. As long as there are people still ordering at the current pricing, they don't have much incentive to lower prices.
There are already a bunch of S Plaids sitting in stock and there have been for a while now, for example around Miami

So I don't think it's a stretch to assume we'll see that with X Plaids soon. The Model X is super complex and probably expensive to produce, so they likely have even more incentive to push these upgrades from LR orders rather than produce more X's with other specs that will just go into inventory.

Why there are still Plaid orders out there without VINs while people with LR orders are being offered upgrades with much quicker deliveries, we could probably speculate about that from a few angles

Same thing is happening to me! I bought a MYP in June for 67k (right before a couple price hikes) and can likely sell it for a 10k profit to Tesla. Tesla called and said I can upgrade to the Plaid AND they won't upcharge me for the 6-seat option (I had initially selected 5-seats so $6,500 credit) AND they will honor my initial pricing. So... they are offering me a Plaid for $119,990. I love my MYP but I think only a fool would pass this up... but please let me know if I am missing something.
I got the updated price sheet today and the price is 129,790. Comes out to almost 140k after taxes. I think that is just too much. I asked if I just misunderstood the offer and they said they are looking into it. Has anyone else taken this offer? What was the price you actually paid?

Reactions: enzoshadow
Long time lurker. I have a 7 seater on order. June 25, 2021 order date. Current delivery window Aug 29-Sept 19. I received the call yesterday stating that my actual delivery estimate in first quarter of 2023, but if I move to Plaid, then I am guaranteed delivery in the next two weeks. Tesla will honor the 2021 Plaid pricing. Worth it?
Considering the price today, I would upgrade it. After three years, I might be able to trade it in for a new Tesla without losing any money.

Yeah, at the end of Q2 they had several Plaids in inventory. At the end of Q3 they will have even more. There is a reason Plaid deliveries to Europe are starting soon.

I suspect the reason some people with Plaid orders don't have a VIN yet are probably because they have a less common config, or these Plaids that end up in inventory were destined for a delivery to a specific customer when that customer backed out at the last second, and Tesla ends up with a Plaid where they don't want it...

Reactions: Philip_Seattle
I can't believe that the wait is almost over! Here she is! Pickup at 6pm central tomorrow!

Attachments

• PXL_20220823_204206218.jpg
    PXL_20220823_204206218.jpg
    865.4 KB · Views: 126
  • PXL_20220823_204309067.jpg
    PXL_20220823_204309067.jpg
    796.2 KB · Views: 107
I got the updated price sheet today and the price is 129,790. Comes out to almost 140k after taxes. I think that is just too much. I asked if I just misunderstood the offer and they said they are looking into it. Has anyone else taken this offer? What was the price you actually paid?
They tried to play that game with me also. Based on my 3/22 MXLR order date, my plaid configuration should have been roughly $128k. Instead the Tesla rep called me twice last week to offer the plaid at $136k. I explained that the numbers didn't add up, but the rep seemed powerless to do anything.

It seems to me that the Tesla will have a hard time selling plaids for their list price in a few months. Too many older MXLR orders will convert and sell them for a quick buck.

There are already a bunch of S Plaids sitting in stock and there have been for a while now, for example around Miami

So I don't think it's a stretch to assume we'll see that with X Plaids soon. The Model X is super complex and probably expensive to produce, so they likely have even more incentive to push these upgrades from LR orders rather than produce more X's with other specs that will just go into inventory.

Why there are still Plaid orders out there without VINs while people with LR orders are being offered upgrades with much quicker deliveries, we could probably speculate about that from a few angles
I think S Plaid is a slightly different story... sedans just don't sell that well in the US. I bet you they over allocated S Plaid builds. LR builds are still pushing well into 2023 at this point... it'll be interesting.

I'm in KC. Went by there on Sunday and they had probably 8-10 refresh Model Xs sitting in the lot. Let me know if you need me to run by and check for your VIN or anything. Happy to help.
Thank you! Im waiting for a blue w cream interior. The council bluff
I'm in KC. Went by there on Sunday and they had probably 8-10 refresh Model Xs sitting in the lot. Let me know if you need me to run by and check for your VIN or anything. Happy to help.
thank you! The Council Bluff SC said it was duefor delivery Sept 3 and i need give a few days to prep. KC told me nothing. So im less than 14 days from sept 3. So maybe not coming then. Trying to coordinate a lot of things around delivery re tesla and personal life.

Cheers! Thought I would give an update on my delivery - FINALLY! - to maybe help some of you still waiting. I know I was hungry for more information as I received delay after delay after delay. I ordered my White LR Model X w/ FSD on April 8, 2021, and just received the car last Thursday, August 18, 2022 - over 16 months of waiting.

My original delivery date was June 2021, then it moved to November 2021, then it started to move month by month. Earlier this year, I got the November 2022 - April 2023 delivery date that a lot of other people experienced. In early July, I noticed on my account that I was given a 2-week window in August, so I figured delivery was imminent! I received an email on July 19th from Tesla (first communication since I ordered it), that said, "We’re excited to deliver your Model X once a vehicle is available." and "If you are ready to take delivery, sign into your Tesla Account and select “I’m Ready” before August 1, 2022. We will update you when a vehicle becomes available."

After receiving this, the window moved to September (bummer!), then it showed delivery backed up to November 2022 (big bummer!). But then, I received a notification on August 9th that my car was ready to pick up on the 13th - what? So, then I had to scramble to get my current 2016 Model X detailed, take pics for the trade-in, get financing (which of course more than doubled since I ordered the car in early 2021), etc. I told them I couldn't pick up until the 15th, so we scheduled an appt.

Then I received a message on the 14th that one of the rims was damaged upon delivery, so they had to move it to Thursday, August 18th. Whew! What a whirlwind and SO different from my first Tesla experience (ordered and received within a couple of months). On the first delivery, they made you feel pretty special, with a big bow on the car, Tesla swag, set up in the showroom. This delivery was literally just driving to a service center and seeing the car sitting in the lot. I also thought that the S and X owners would get a key fob, but only received a key card and the iPhone access. One thing that I didn't expect was a year of free premium connectivity, so that was nice. Although it was hard giving up my grandfathered unlimited free charging. It will be interesting to see how much it ends up costing on a road trip.

Overall, I'm super happy with the car, except there are definitely gaps and misalignment issues with the car's panels, so I am already setting up a service appt. There are some great online checklists of things to look for and I can't recommend printing one of those out enough! I can say that getting used to driving this car is a larger learning curve than when I bought my first Model X. I love the yoke and clean lines without all the clutter, but getting used to not having a stalk is going to take some time. Between the yoke and the lack of drive and reverse on a stalk, a 3-point turn is going to be fun. ;-)

Cheers! Thought I would give an update on my delivery - FINALLY! - to maybe help some of you still waiting. I know I was hungry for more information as I received delay after delay after delay. I ordered my White LR Model X w/ FSD on April 8, 2021, and just received the car last Thursday, August 18, 2022 - over 16 months of waiting.
Congrats! I'm picking my white LR up on Saturday in Seattle.

What interior color and wheel size did you order?

Last edited: