Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 60D with 21" - what kind of range are you getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very close to ordering a 60D with 21's and looking to see what kind of real world range others are getting with their cars and larger rims.

I live in the Bay Area with a daily commute of 110 miles round trip (very minimal evaluation change), no major temp or weather issues, mostly highway speeds (HW 280 can be "fast"), some slow parts (HW 85), & some city stop/go.

Talking with the local store, it seams like this range commute would be a non-issue.

According to Tesla - scroll to the bottom to the Range Calculator. If you switch from 19 to 21 wheels on the 60, you lose 5 miles of range on a full charge or roughly 2%. My personal experience with 21's on a Model S 40 is that it's more like 5% but not enough to really worry over.

You're also in the bay area with lots of superchargers.

Model S | Tesla

• Informative
Reactions: PtG62901
According to Tesla - scroll to the bottom to the Range Calculator. If you switch from 19 to 21 wheels on the 60, you lose 5 miles of range on a full charge or roughly 2%. My personal experience with 21's on a Model S 40 is that it's more like 5% but not enough to really worry over.

You're also in the bay area with lots of superchargers.

Model S | Tesla

Thanks. Yes, two SC's between office and home if I get desperate and have to take 101 vs 280 (but they are also two of the busiest SC's in the country).

Very close to ordering a 60D with 21's and looking to see what kind of real world range others are getting with their cars and larger rims.

I live in the Bay Area with a daily commute of 110 miles round trip (very minimal evaluation change), no major temp or weather issues, mostly highway speeds (HW 280 can be "fast"), some slow parts (HW 85), & some city stop/go.

Talking with the local store, it seams like this range commute would be a non-issue.
I drive 112 every day from Colorado Springs to Denver. I am running 19s and I can easily get three one-way trips on a single charge (work to home to work) on my 60D. I know that's not exactly what you've got but I figured I'd let you know what I'm seeing.

I drive 112 every day from Colorado Springs to Denver. I am running 19s and I can easily get three one-way trips on a single charge (work to home to work) on my 60D. I know that's not exactly what you've got but I figured I'd let you know what I'm seeing.

Helpful. I know that road well (originally from ℅). You charging to 100% like others with new 60D?

Even charging to 90%, I wouldn't have range worries. The other issue you might want to think about with 21s is tire wear. They're higher performance tires that wear faster, ride rougher, and generate more road noise. Be prepared to get a new set at least once a year with your commute on 21s. They're far more expensive than the 19s per tire, as well.

Even charging to 90%, I wouldn't have range worries. The other issue you might want to think about with 21s is tire wear. They're higher performance tires that wear faster, ride rougher, and generate more road noise. Be prepared to get a new set at least once a year with your commute on 21s. They're far more expensive than the 19s per tire, as well.
But the 21" look so so nice. :)

I saw several posters who said they accomplished the same look with custom 20 inch wheels, for a fraction of the cost, including one who had previously ordered the 21 inch wheels and expressed regrets for doing so.

Funny how you either love them or hate them. I've read many threads on the forums about the likes/dislikes - matter of personal preference/taste? FWIW: I've only driven (or been in) cars with 21's & still in love with the ride & car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sugacookie
Funny how you either love them or hate them. I've read many threads on the forums about the likes/dislikes - matter of personal preference/taste? FWIW: I've only driven (or been in) cars with 21's & still in love with the ride & car.

I've ridden in several setups. If I were my younger self and wanted a more sporty ride that looks great, I'd get the 21s no question and not worry about the extra cost or ride quality.

Now, getting a little older and wanting more than just sport and good looks, I'd only get the 21s with the air suspension. On the springs, in my opinion, they're just too rough. I can definitely deal with them on airbags much better (although I still prefer 19s on air).

You're correct, though, it's 100% personal preference and it does seem to be a pretty divisive issue. Either way, I'm sure you're going to love what you choose!

I've ridden in several setups. If I were my younger self and wanted a more sporty ride that looks great, I'd get the 21s no question and not worry about the extra cost or ride quality.

Now, getting a little older and wanting more than just sport and good looks, I'd only get the 21s with the air suspension. On the springs, in my opinion, they're just too rough. I can definitely deal with them on airbags much better (although I still prefer 19s on air).

You're correct, though, it's 100% personal preference and it does seem to be a pretty divisive issue. Either way, I'm sure you're going to love what you choose!

Totally, getting up there in years myself. I'm coming from a Mini Cooper so just about anything is smoother, quieter, etc! The plan is air suspension too so I can get in/out of the driveway - I have to take it at a 45 degree angle w/the mini.

What caught my attention is the fact that OP intends to order the 60D.

I thought personally if I were to spend that much extra money I'd rather get the 90D on 19 inch wheels and pay for a set of 20 inch custom wheels. I am not sure that would be that much more money getting a 90D considering that with the amount of driving that he does he will have to replace those tires very often (but may be my assumption is wrong)

The resale value would be a lot higher too. One one hand you would have a used 90D with 2 set of wheels, on the other you would have a used 60D with those 21 inch wheels which are notoriously known for being very expensive. The kind of user being in the market for a used 60 would definitely have some concerns with that I think.

These are my comments which may not be worth much since I am not an owner. This is based on the many hours I spent reading this forum trying to understand if I should buy a model S for myself.

What caught my attention is the fact that OP intends to order the 60D.

I thought personally if I were to spend that much extra money I'd rather get the 90D on 19 inch wheels and pay for a set of 20 inch custom wheels. I am not sure that would be that much more money getting a 90D considering that with the amount of driving that he does he will have to replace those tires very often (but may be my assumption is wrong)

The difference between a 60D and a 90D is about $18500. Aftermarket 21 inch wheels cost about $2k :)

The difference between a 60D and a 90D is about $18500. Aftermarket 21 inch wheels cost about $2k :)
assuming one set of wheels a year over a 6 year period + $4.5k for the original tires.. That's $16.5k.

Assuming that the 19 inch tires last twice as long and cost half as much.. I come to an extra cost of $13.5k. I realize that I may be way off though. Please let me know.