Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
This thread aims to capture sub model (dual and trim motor) vibration occurrences for "refreshed" Model S cars. Please comment with as much information you can, should your car have this affliction (including VIN range).

Issue Description:

Vibration felt in accelerator pedal and sometime in yoke; passengers may also feel it on the floor and through
the console.

- Occurs: between 38 - 50 mph

- Conditions: Constant speed (e.g., holding 43 mph +/-), or under very slight acceleration in this range, especially after transition from regen
to slight acceleration (bit of gray bar)

- Frequency: Occurs more than 50% of the time

Related Threads:

POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR

Poll: 3x - 4x mph Refreshed Model S (LR and Plaid) Vibration issue build / VIN ranges

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

Last edited:
MF455, only have 260 miles on the car and initially did not notice any vibration but have begun to notice occasionally in more recent drives. Basically the exact same speed range and conditions as @jebinc noted. Frequency: less than 50% of the time (and I hope it stays that way!).

When I have noticed it, the vibration has been very mild/subtle in all instances except for one occasion when I lightly accelerated in the 40-45 mph range and the vibration was VERY pronounced. Felt it in the pedal and yoke; really the entire car was shaking. Only lasted for a second or so.

I have the 19" wheels w/aero covers but swapped out the OEM Pirelli P Zero's for Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's on day of delivery.

Reactions: jebinc
MF455, only have 260 miles on the car and initially did not notice any vibration but have begun to notice occasionally in more recent drives. Basically the exact same speed range and conditions as @jebinc noted. Frequency: less than 50% of the time (and I hope it stays that way!).

When I have noticed it, the vibration has been very mild/subtle in all instances except for one occasion when I lightly accelerated in the 40-45 mph range and the vibration was VERY pronounced. Felt it in the pedal and yoke; really the entire car was shaking. Only lasted for a second or so.

I have the 19" wheels w/aero covers but swapped out the OEM Pirelli P Zero's for Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's on day of delivery.
@adeezeus Yep, that sounds like the affliction. Mine has gotten worse with time, and no occurs in other, higher, speed ranges. Now also 100% repeatable on every drive.
@WilliamG

Vin 452 range, happens 100% of the time with varying intensity.. Plaid/Arachnids

Doesn’t bother me yet, I’m sure eventually Tesla will have a fix.
@M4H4X Thanks for sharing! Did you report the issue via the app? I ask as the more that report, the more likely a fix will occur, or occur sooner than the outgoing Model S "Shutter" fix - which took many years.

I didn't because I don't want to deal with Tesla service over it until they have a bulletin/fix. Don't want to be a guinea pig.
@M4H4X I can relate to that…. I was suggesting using the app to report the issue and note in the request not bringing it in until there is a fix. My SC is collecting VINs for Engineering and not recommending or asking cars to be brought in.

@M4H4X I can relate to that…. I was suggesting using the app to report the issue and note in the request not bring it in until there is a fix. My SC is collecting VINs for Engineering and not recommending or asking cars to be brought in.
Ah, ok. I'm going in for service Monday to replace the front door seals because of the window triangle residue seepage problem. Once I get that out of the way I'll make another request.

Maybe the vibration is related to the carbon fiber wrap on the rotors?
@MP3Mike Could be, or the fact this is the first AC Permanent Magnet DU up front? I believe the LR has the same carbon wrapped front DU as the Plaid. Someone posted pictures where the P/N was identical on the two sub models. Re whether or not this is a root cause, my SC told me that they were able to disable the front DU when testing and the car still vibrated.

@MP3Mike Could be, or the fact this is the first AC Permanent Magnet DU up front? I believe the LR has the same carbon wrapped front DU as the Plaid. Someone posted pictures where the P/N was identical on the two sub models.
The parts catalog has different part numbers for the plaid/non-plaid front drive unit...

Re whether or not this is a root cause, my SC told me that they were able to disable the front DU when testing and the car still vibrated.
Unless they pulled the half shafts the rotor would still be spinning while the vehicle is moving, so I wouldn't say that ruled much out. It would rule out that the problem is the torque vectoring between the rear and front motors. (And if they removed the half shafts and the vibration is still there, that would eliminate a lot of possibilities.)

Reactions: bhzmark
The parts catalog has different part numbers for the plaid/non-plaid front drive unit...

Unless they pulled the half shafts the rotor would still be spinning while the vehicle is moving, so I wouldn't say that ruled much out. It would rule out that the problem is the torque vectoring between the rear and front motors. (And if they removed the half shafts and the vibration is still there, that would eliminate a lot of possibilities.)
Not sure, but that's the information I have. One thing I'm sure of is none of what was done while having my car for two weeks solved the problem.

i feel like it happens on regen as well now. i saw sandy munro yesterday at a tesla event in NJ and asked him. his plaid does not have that problem but he said it’s the harmonica caused by 1 or 2 things, his guess. something out of balance or a suspension issue, i think he said.

19” stock wheels. happens more often at 250@ miles now than originally and a little stronger than originally.

MF440

i feel like it happens on regen as well now. i saw sandy munro yesterday at a tesla event in NJ and asked him. his plaid does not have that problem but he said it’s the harmonica caused by 1 or 2 things, his guess. something out of balance or a suspension issue, i think he said.

19” stock wheels. happens more often at 250@ miles now than originally and a little stronger than originally.

MF440
@yerEVan Yes, that has been my experience as well. Some on regen, getting more pronounced, and occurs outside of the 40’s range now.

Drove two other Plaids today, and both have it to some degree. Re suspension and tires being the root cause - My shop force balanced my 19s, swapped the 19s out for 21s, retorqued all suspension components, and performed a four wheel alignment. And that was all after half shaft replacement! None of this did anything to improve the issue. In fact, it’s worse now than ever!

@GroovaEV @WilliamG