Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
90% of the time if someone notices a vibration the tires need to be balanced. Always start with a Road Force balance.

Re the front drivetrain vibration at ~40mph: I agree with below. It is very mild. I only notice it when I drive with leather soled dress shoes, which, thank covid, isn’t very often anymore (or barefoot). And it is usually only at the start of a drive and either it goes away or I simply have a noise filter that filters it out after getting used to it.

If I have any rubbersoled shoes with any cushioning, I simply don’t notice it at all ever.

It is super mild. I have told myself it is a simple purr — like a cat, but even softer than most cats.

I don’t get myself upset about it. And I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to get another refresh Model S, or upgrade if I had an older S or 3 or whatever.

But some people are more easily excitable and upsetable and this mild vibration is clearly causing them significant suffering and we should all have compassion for their suffering.

Now, interesting facts:
- It's very mild and not appears all the time.
- I drive in plaid mode only and floor it constantly (each day)

90% of the time if someone notices a vibration the tires need to be balanced. Always start with a Road Force balance.

Re the front drivetrain vibration at ~40mph: I agree with below. It is very mild. I only notice it when I drive with leather soled dress shoes, which, thank covid, isn’t very often anymore (or barefoot). And it is usually only at the start of a drive and either it goes away or I simply have a noise filter that filters it out after getting used to it.

If I have any rubbersoled shoes with any cushioning, I simply don’t notice it at all ever.

It is super mild. I have told myself it is a simple purr — like a cat, but even softer than most cats.

I don’t get myself upset about it. And I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to get another refresh Model S, or upgrade if I had an older S or 3 or whatever.

But some people are more easily excitable and upsetable and this mild vibration is clearly causing them significant suffering and we should all have compassion for their suffering.
None of the problems people complain about are big deals in the big scheme of things. We are all very blessed to be able to own a Tesla. Compared to struggling, losing your house in a wild fire, or having cancer, a $120+k car that keeps vibrating (no matter what you try to do to fix it), wears out tires in 5k miles (unless you experiment with adding equipment that can potentially void your warranty), has interior trim that keeps peeling off (steering wheel), doesn't come with advertised features (steam, rear gaming), etc is no big deal.

That said, this forum is to point out problems with these very expensive cars that for some reason nobody at Tesla cares about or will put any energy into fixing. None of the big names on Twitter that have access to Elon want to point them out. For a company that claims to want to always "do the right thing", this IS A BIG DEAL.

The above issues are extremely annoying even to people that are not "easily excitable" and this is the place to voice those valid concerns.

I have a very low frequency vibration, only heard if the car was not driven for some hours and it is only heard (more heard than felt) for about 0.5km 1/4 mile to 1 mile. Then it goes away completely.

Its a speed dependent vibration/sound almost like a tracked vehicle or a snow weasel like ”RRRRRRRR”.
It is felt/heard at really low speed like 10km/h and so short time that I do not know if it still would be there at 100 km/h.
I heard it the first time I drove of from home after getting the car.

Not true. Mine is a 2021 and vibrates like a MoFo.
:D
I was waiting for you to chime in.
Seems either random (or possibly impacted by launches…)
My 9/21 had no vibration.
On 8/15/23, I transferred FSD & Traded it in on an Ultra Red HW4 Plaid with all the originally promised bells and whistles + other upgrades (brakes, lights…)
I love the tilting screen.
Between the FSD transfer, Trade-In and WA sales tax savings (only taxed on purchase net of trade-in)
Around 90k ($89,959.05) off my out of pocket cost.
Car was perfect.
No noticeable vibrations.
(From Tesla to my home and then to Alset for PPF, ceramic coating…)
Odometer now reads a whopping 44 miles.

:D
I was waiting for you to chime in.
Seems either random (or possibly impacted by launches…)
My 9/21 had no vibration.
On 8/15/23, I transferred FSD & Traded it in on an Ultra Red HW4 Plaid with all the originally promised bells and whistles + other upgrades (brakes, lights…)
I love the tilting screen.
Between the FSD transfer, Trade-In and WA sales tax savings (only taxed on purchase net of trade-in)
Around 90k ($89,959.05) off my out of pocket cost.
Car was perfect.
No noticeable vibrations.
(From Tesla to my home and then to Alset for PPF, ceramic coating…)
Odometer now reads a whopping 44 miles.
What did Tesla offer you as the raw trade in value? and what did you pay for the new Plaid, in total?

It looks like the 2021 MSP is the one vibration free. I’ll start looking for a low mileage out of lease, since they look all the same. These MSP vibration threads opened my eyes to avoid a brand new MSP … sad but true.
I have it bad on my 21 plaid. It vibrates strongly between 40 and 50 mph. I don't have the startup vibration or the 80+ mph vibration.

Reactions: racerx2005
So, about $38,000 out of pocket to upgrade from a ‘21 to a ‘23, with FSD. Got it.

This is off by a little bit on the tax savings, but more like 50k+ including tax registration destination…
I brought a cashiers check for $49,718.39
There was something I missed on this spreadsheet.

IMG_8766.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
This is off by a little bit on the tax savings, but more like 50k+ including tax registration destination…

View attachment 966667
So $65k if the FSD transfer promotion wasn’t active. Tesla has to be thrilled you made this transaction. Maybe I missed it but… why? Ultra Red + new lights? If so, still bonkers.

Reactions: jebinc

View attachment 966667
Does the new one still have the vibration? Mine didn't start until about 3,000 miles, so you might have to wait and see.

I have it bad on my 21 plaid. It vibrates strongly between 40 and 50 mph. I don't have the startup vibration or the 80+ mph vibration.
I’ve found several 21’s Plaid with 10k to 20k miles only … people don’t drive ‘em?! one car was 7 miles away, so I went there to test drive it, and bingo! the vibration was unbearable at 85 mph like the car was falling apart, less bad between 35 and 60mph; the owner showed me all SC receipts with Tesla’s unsuccessful attempt to fix it … poor guy was willing to lower the price by 5k which I thanked him and walked away, evidently I wouldn’t tell him that I didn’t want it even free of charge!

Anyway, now that I actually witnessed the problem, not only reading about it, the vibration is a dealbreaker for me.

Tesla won’t make any effort to fix it, perhaps there is none, until gets sued (class action lawsuit). Plaid owners must not accept such a defect on a 120k car … you clearly feel people give up and accept the problem by reading all these vibration threads, then again word gets out and it will affect the resale value sooner than later; anyone doing a minimum research about the Plaid will avoid it … that’s how I found out ;-)