Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve found several 21’s Plaid with 10k to 20k miles only … people don’t drive ‘em?! one car was 7 miles away, so I went there to test drive it, and bingo! the vibration was unbearable at 85 mph like the car was falling apart, less bad between 35 and 60mph; the owner showed me all SC receipts with Tesla’s unsuccessful attempt to fix it … poor guy was willing to lower the price by 5k which I thanked him and walked away, evidently I wouldn’t tell him that I didn’t want it even free of charge!

Anyway, now that I actually witnessed the problem, not only reading about it, the vibration is a dealbreaker for me.

Tesla won’t make any effort to fix it, perhaps there is none, until gets sued (class action lawsuit). Plaid owners must not accept such a defect on a 120k car … you clearly feel people give up and accept the problem by reading all these vibration threads, then again word gets out and it will affect the resale value sooner than later; anyone doing a minimum research about the Plaid will avoid it … that’s how I found out ;-)
It’s not just a S “Plaid” issue, but rather all refreshed S and X models.

It’s not just a S “Plaid” issue, but rather all refreshed S and X models.
It's not "all" anything.

My 22 X doesn't have any vibration at all. My 21 S has a very mild vibration ~40 which usually isn't noticeable.

It is likely that many x and s don't have it all. Some have it very mildly to not even be noticable to most. some may have it worse -- or have more perceptive/sensitive owners.

It's not "all" anything.

My 22 X doesn't have any vibration at all. My 21 S has a very mild vibration ~40 which usually isn't noticeable.

It is likely that many x and s don't have it all. Some have it very mildly to not even be noticable to most. some may have it worse -- or have more perceptive/sensitive owners.
"All" was meant as MSLR, MSP, XLR, XP - meaning all models of the refresh have reports of this malady/affliction.

Reactions: racerx2005
Honestly if you are going to buy an S or an X, better to buy a local used one you can drive before spending the money. That way you can see if it comes with any vibrations.
That's still no guarantee - as for many, the vibration comes with time. With others, it's as soon as they drive it off the lot. For me, it took 1500 miles on the odometer.

I’ve found several 21’s Plaid with 10k to 20k miles only … people don’t drive ‘em?! one car was 7 miles away, so I went there to test drive it, and bingo! the vibration was unbearable at 85 mph like the car was falling apart, less bad between 35 and 60mph; the owner showed me all SC receipts with Tesla’s unsuccessful attempt to fix it … poor guy was willing to lower the price by 5k which I thanked him and walked away, evidently I wouldn’t tell him that I didn’t want it even free of charge!

Anyway, now that I actually witnessed the problem, not only reading about it, the vibration is a dealbreaker for me.

Tesla won’t make any effort to fix it, perhaps there is none, until gets sued (class action lawsuit). Plaid owners must not accept such a defect on a 120k car … you clearly feel people give up and accept the problem by reading all these vibration threads, then again word gets out and it will affect the resale value sooner than later; anyone doing a minimum research about the Plaid will avoid it … that’s how I found out ;-)

Yes, that's why I'm doing a lemon law buyback on mine. I'm planning on test driving other '21 used Plaids once mine is gone so that I can try to find one without the vibration. I know they exist. I've had three service loaners that don't have the vibration or squeaking.

So $65k if the FSD transfer promotion wasn’t active. Tesla has to be thrilled you made this transaction. Maybe I missed it but… why? Ultra Red + new lights? If so, still bonkers.
You may think it’s bonkers. However, I’m happy with the deal.
It’s the same argument of buying used vs new. You take a big hit in value on day 1 of ownership.
On Tesla’s website a ‘22 Plaid is around 30k less than a new ‘23 with the same options.

The opportunity to transfer FSD pushed me over the top to refresh my Plaid to a 2023.
It cost me 45,689.75
+4,028.64 tax
For starters my 21 Plaid MS had a Deformed Rear Seat.
Tesla replaced it with one that was slightly better, but still deformed. Everything looks perfect on my ‘23.
IMG_2997.jpeg
IMG_3067.jpeg

Then there were the Promised/undelivered features short changed memory/no steam and non-tilting screen irritated me.
And of course other improvements…
2023 vs 2021
•Ultra Red
•New Warranty
•Zero Milage
•New Tires
•New Batteries
•Steam Compatible Ram
•Tilting Screen
•Hardware 4
•Upgraded Lights
•Upgraded Brakes
•Improved Rear Screen
•Improved Glass Roof

Reactions: bhzmark and AAKEE
It’s the same argument of buying used vs new. You take a big hit in value on day 1 of ownership.
On Tesla’s website a ‘22 Plaid is around 30k less than a new ‘23 with the same options.

The opportunity to transfer FSD pushed me over the top to refresh my Plaid to a 2023.
It cost me 45,689.75
+4,028.64 tax
Tesla replaced it with one that was slightly better, but still deformed. Everything looks perfect on my ‘23.
View attachment 966909View attachment 966910

Then there were the Promised/undelivered features short changed memory/no steam and non-tilting screen irritated me.
2023 vs 2021
•Ultra Red
•New Warranty
•Zero Milage
•New Tires
•New Batteries
•Steam Compatible Ram
•Tilting Screen
•Hardware 4
•Upgraded Lights
•Upgraded Brakes
•Improved Rear Screen
•Improved Glass Roof
To each… Enjoy the new ride!

It cost me 45,689.75
+4,028.64 tax

2023 vs 2021
•Ultra Red
•New Warranty
•Zero Milage
•New Tires
•New Batteries
•Steam Compatible Ram
•Tilting Screen
•Hardware 4
•Upgraded Lights
•Upgraded Brakes
•Improved Rear Screen
•Improved Glass Roof
Ultra Red = Nice
New Warranty = Do you really care? Are you keeping the car 8 years?
Zero mileage = Do you really care?
New tires = Okay...
New batteries = Who cares?
Steam compatible RAM = Really, who cares? It's rubbish. I have it and it's still rubbish and half-baked.
Tilting Screen = Okay...
Hardware 4 = Rubbish, currently. No ultrasonics = giant fail.
Upgraded brakes = Yeah.... not really.
Improved rear screen = Definitely worth $50k.
Improved glass roof = Sigh... sure... probably worth $50k, too.

As @jebinc said, to each his own. Personally, this was a waste of money. You could have added a Model 3 Performance for the wife/kid/mistress/weekend for that money. Obviously, if you're happy...

Ultra Red = Nice
New Warranty = Do you really care? Are you keeping the car 8 years?
Zero mileage = Do you really care?
New tires = Okay...
New batteries = Who cares?
Steam compatible RAM = Really, who cares? It's rubbish. I have it and it's still rubbish and half-baked.
Tilting Screen = Okay...
Hardware 4 = Rubbish, currently. No ultrasonics = giant fail.
Upgraded brakes = Yeah.... not really.
Improved rear screen = Definitely worth $50k.
Improved glass roof = Sigh... sure... probably worth $50k, too.

As @jebinc said, to each his own. Personally, this was a waste of money. You could have added a Model 3 Performance for the wife/kid/mistress/weekend for that money. Obviously, if you're happy...
I wonder how long it will take the 2023 to develop the dreaded vibration? Now that would annoy me much more than a slight wrinkle in the rear seat cushion that I would never see or use...

Reactions: racerx2005

It cost me 45,689.75
+4,028.64 tax

2023 vs 2021
•Ultra Red
•New Warranty
•Zero Milage
•New Tires
•New Batteries
•Steam Compatible Ram
•Tilting Screen
•Hardware 4
•Upgraded Lights
•Upgraded Brakes
•Improved Rear Screen
•Improved Glass Roof

I also changed from a 2021 to a 2023. Life is short. Enjoy it. I love my ultra red also. That, along with the rear lights and clear Roof pushed me to upgrade.

I also changed from a 2021 to a 2023. Life is short. Enjoy it. I love my ultra red also. That, along with the rear lights and clear Roof pushed me to upgrade.
My thioughts exactly. I’ve reached a point in my life that I have more money (Thank you TSLA) than time. (Wish I could buy more time)
Spending hours on TMC wining and complaining isn’t the best use of my precious time.
As has been said…
“To each his or her own.” ;)

My thioughts exactly. I’ve reached a point in my life that I have more money (Thank you TSLA) than time. (Wish I could buy more time)
Spending hours on TMC wining and complaining isn’t the best use of my precious time.
As has been said…
“To each his or her own.” ;)
Ha. Wish I was there. Not quite there yet. That's why I'm trying to go the lemon law route.