Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found it. So we can roast in the sun more and have thinner glass that breaks easier. Tesla announces a new 'high-visibility glass roof' for Model S
Interesting interpretation to the actual text in the linked article.

Now Tesla has sent an email to its customers to highlight all of those changes. Again, most of them we already knew about, but we also learned something new. Tesla says that it is introducing a new “high-visibility glass roof” to Model S:
Our new Model S roof glass lets in more light, allowing a clearer view of the sky, day or night, while maintaining the same level of heat and UV protection
Tesla claims that the new glass roof now “weighs less and lets in 5 times more light” compared to the previous glass roof while still providing the “same level of UV protection.” The automaker claims that it also “improves handling” by helping lower the center of gravity.

Reactions: bhzmark

Now Tesla has sent an email to its customers to highlight all of those changes. Again, most of them we already knew about, but we also learned something new. Tesla says that it is introducing a new “high-visibility glass roof” to Model S:
Our new Model S roof glass lets in more light, allowing a clearer view of the sky, day or night, while maintaining the same level of heat and UV protection
Tesla claims that the new glass roof now “weighs less and lets in 5 times more light” compared to the previous glass roof while still providing the “same level of UV protection.” The automaker claims that it also “improves handling” by helping lower the center of gravity.
Cost cutting with thinner glass?

I do feel the glass roof on my 22 was overly tinted from factory. Id rather have a metal roof.

Reactions: Propofoln and AAKEE

In short, switching puts more money in Teslas pocket as this new glass costs less to manufacture. Gotta love the marketing spin of their explaination! 🤣

I've had both. The new glass is way better. Can see so much more outside now with no change in cabin temp. Not marketing spin
To be frank, I have the glass roof in both Teslas and Rivian. Driving, I never “see” the benefit of any of it. I can “feel” the heat at times, however. If I were a passenger in the back seat, I certainly would - but I’ve never been in the back seat of any of them...

In short, switching puts more money in Teslas pocket as this new glass costs less to manufacture. Gotta love the marketing spin of their explaination! 🤣
The foot and hand massager features discussed in this thread by the few people who have been lucky to get them are quite interesting as well.

The brakes feel the exact same. Zero difference in stopping power or feel
good there shouldn't be any difference in feel.

And the old stock brakes had plenty of "stopping power" to engage the ABS so not surprising that the "stopping power" feels the same since ABS and tire limitations should make it the same.

The only difference should be a higher temperature operating range so that it takes longer to cause brake fade -- which 99.9% of drivers will never experience anyway even with the old stock brakes.

1692707838335.png

And by the way even the old style stock Model S Plaid brakes stopped shorter from repeated stops from 100 mph than the the BMW M5 CS. But I get that some people may have been confused by silly complaints from a few stupid you tubers who took their Plaid to the track, caused brake fade on the track with the stock brakes, and concluded, incorrectly, that the brakes were problematic for normal, even enthusiastic, street driving. If you never caused the brake warning light to come on (which is very conservative) you never came close to the thermal capacity of stock brake pads.

1692708496325.png

And the old stock brakes had plenty of "stopping power" to engage the ABS so not surprising that the "stopping power" feels the same since ABS and tire limitations should make it the same.

The only difference should be a higher temperature operating range so that it takes longer to cause brake fade -- which 99.9% of drivers will never experience anyway even with the old stock brakes.

View attachment 967304

And by the way even the old style stock Model S Plaid brakes stopped shorter from repeated stops from 100 mph than the the BMW M5 CS. But I get that some people may have been confused by silly complaints from a few stupid you tubers who took their Plaid to the track, caused brake fade on the track with the stock brakes, and concluded, incorrectly, that the brakes were problematic for normal, even enthusiastic, street driving. If you never caused the brake warning light to come on (which is very conservative) you never came close to the thermal capacity of stock brake pads.

View attachment 967306

Thx for info. Very informative. Didn’t know the stock brakes were decent

Reactions: jebinc and bhzmark

View attachment 967304

View attachment 967306
Do you have the stats on the 2023 Brakes?
Same 284’ under normal conditions?

Do you have the stats on the 2023 Brakes?
Same 284’ under normal conditions?
I don't know of any of the new stock pads, or the new track pack pads. At cold temps the new stock pads should be the same -- limited primarily by the tires and perhaps any variation in ABS.

The new track pads might be a little worse at cold temps (take a few rotations under braking before heating up to operating temp) because the really high temp range track pads trade off some cold operating temp capacity.

Normal distance Brake tests with stock pads off the track are mostly just tire tests. Any stock car since the 80s can lock up its wheels when not overheated.

Plaid is particularly susceptible to brake fade on the track because it can get its considerable heft up to such high speeds in between turns -- massive momentum that needs to be converted to brake heat for each turn after turn after turn, heating the brake components on the track like no other street car.

On the street and highway, the Plaid brakes are fine when they are at normal operating temps as they are 100% of the time for 99.99% of owners.

Hi guys. Quick addition to the thread. I have a new model S plaid with an April 10 build date, hardware 4 and all the latest parts. I have also installed the Mac boost camber shims to improve the rear tire wear.

I am about 700 miles in, so far, no issues and no vibrations. I will continue to monitor and will post in the thread if anything changes.
Good to hear. Mine started around 3,000 miles. Some cars never get it. Others get it right away. Try driving in low, between 40 and 50 mph and very lightly accelerate. You'd feel it in the yoke. Also, check for vibration at 80 mph in the yoke.

Do you have ultrasound? I'm afraid of getting a new one and losing ultrasound.

Reactions: jebinc
the ultrasonic parking sensors in the front and rear bumpers that allow it to accurately judge distances from objects, walls, cars, etc when parking. They moved to an all vision approach that is inherently inferior to ultrasound.
Oh right "ultrasonic". "Ultrasound" reminds me of the ass kicking dual sub Atmos(7.4.2) sound system that will be in the Cybertruck. :)

DirtyTesla just did an extensive comparison of the ultrasonic sensors verses TelsaVision. It appears to be a mixed bag. They both have their pluses and minuses. I have both, 2017 S and 2023 Y. Both do the job for me. Either way TeslaVision is where the development effort will go, it will get better. TelsaVision will ultimately provide more features like visualization and labeling of surroundings rather than albeit highly accurate, but distance only ultrasonic optics. I do like the idea of not having to resolve two sensor inputs. Akin to the sensor fusion issues posed by having Radar and Vision. Vision only baby!

One related issue is I believe the Cybertruck's purported low front bumper cam to be essential to seeing shorter folks in front.

Sorry for the slightly off-topic topic...