Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
totally understand. 4 service visits for my 80-95 mph vibration. Zero resolution. They did try to charge me the fee once over the phone and threw a crap fit. They haven't asked since. My recommendation is to do the same, refuse to pay a fee, and get them to possibly replace half shafts
Would this detract you from buying a new Plaid if you had known about this? I'm thinking about getting one with these new price cuts, just don’t know what to expect. Should I lease?

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Would this detract you from buying a new Plaid if you had known about this? I'm thinking about getting one with these new price cuts, just don’t know what to expect. Should I lease?
Probably. But if they could fix my suspension squeaks, I might just lower the car and live it with. But I'm not keeping the car with both issues after paying $153k

Reactions: Workmailman
MF455, only have 260 miles on the car and initially did not notice any vibration but have begun to notice occasionally in more recent drives. Basically the exact same speed range and conditions as @jebinc noted. Frequency: less than 50% of the time (and I hope it stays that way!).

When I have noticed it, the vibration has been very mild/subtle in all instances except for one occasion when I lightly accelerated in the 40-45 mph range and the vibration was VERY pronounced. Felt it in the pedal and yoke; really the entire car was shaking. Only lasted for a second or so.

I have the 19" wheels w/aero covers but swapped out the OEM Pirelli P Zero's for Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's on day of delivery.
Would this vibration detract you from buying one brand new now? I'm on the fence after learning about these new weird issues :( , i'm thinking about just doing a lease at this point.

• Funny
Just scheduled a Model S Plaid test drive for next Saturday, 9/9. I can shave another US$ 1,000.00 + 3 months FSD, which I don’t want ultimately, with my buddy’s referral … I posted here I wouldn’t get the Plaid due to the vibration, then again screw it, it’s a Tesla, it will always have issues and the price is right now …

4D3C1F85-2020-4F91-9484-CF4281309CB3.jpeg

Just scheduled a Model S Plaid test drive for next Saturday, 9/9. I can shave another US$ 1,000.00 + 3 months FSD, which I don’t want ultimately, with my buddy’s referral … I posted here I wouldn’t get the Plaid due to the vibration, then again screw it, it’s a Tesla, it will always have issues and the price is right now …

View attachment 970298
I don’t think they do demo drives for any of the Plaid Models, but LR for sure. Another member PM'd me and said that Tesla has a fix for the vibration stuff coming by the end of the year via a software update? I think that could be promising. I'm in the same boat, really want to order one soon hopefully.

Reactions: racerx2005

View attachment 970298
I’m right there with you. Not sure you can test drive them. I’m going to Colorado next month and have a Turo rental on a Plaid S. A few days with the car we’ll see. Hopefully the price doesn’t go up again. 😂

here I wouldn’t get the Plaid due to the vibration,
JFC.

All cars have some problems that people complain about on forums. Tesla is no exception and the Model S is no exception. In the older Model S’s there are various threads with a loud chorus of people complaining about problems — nearly all problems much more serious than this one: charge speed limiting, power limiting, battery issues etc. And yet still the huge vast majority of people do not have any perceived problems — the cars work great for them.

This particular vibration problem has been elevated beyond all realistic measure by a few sensitive souls who enthusiastically and prolifically post and complain and hand-wring about this issue. I feel bad for them.

They are blowing it out of all proportion. The front drivetrain vibration at ~40mph is very mild. Most people don’t notice it at all — I only notice it when I drive with leather soled dress shoes, or barefoot. And it is usually only at the start of a drive and either it goes away or I simply have a noise filter that filters it out after getting used to it.

If I have any rubbersoled shoes with any cushioning, I simply don’t notice it at all ever.

It is super mild.

I don’t get myself upset about it. And I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to get another refresh Model S, or upgrade if I had an older S or 3 or whatever.

But some people are more easily excitable and upsetable and this mild vibration is clearly causing them significant suffering and we should all have compassion for their suffering.

But you should absolutely not conclude that you shouldn’t buy the car because of this issue that you most likely will not even perceive at all ever.

JFC.

All cars have some problems that people complain about on forums. Tesla is no exception and the Model S is no exception. In the older Model S’s there are various threads with a loud chorus of people complaining about problems — nearly all problems much more serious than this one: charge speed limiting, power limiting, battery issues etc. And yet still the huge vast majority of people do not have any perceived problems — the cars work great for them.

This particular vibration problem has been elevated beyond all realistic measure by a few sensitive souls who enthusiastically and prolifically post and complain and hand-wring about this issue. I feel bad for them.

They are blowing it out of all proportion. The front drivetrain vibration at ~40mph is very mild. Most people don’t notice it at all — I only notice it when I drive with leather soled dress shoes, or barefoot. And it is usually only at the start of a drive and either it goes away or I simply have a noise filter that filters it out after getting used to it.

If I have any rubbersoled shoes with any cushioning, I simply don’t notice it at all ever.

It is super mild.

I don’t get myself upset about it. And I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to get another refresh Model S, or upgrade if I had an older S or 3 or whatever.

But some people are more easily excitable and upsetable and this mild vibration is clearly causing them significant suffering and we should all have compassion for their suffering.

But you should absolutely not conclude that you shouldn’t buy the car because of this issue that you most likely will not even perceive at all ever.
Ahh the good old, “it doesn’t bother me so it shouldn’t bother you” argument. Always love that one. Brilliant.

Ahh the good old, “it doesn’t bother me so it shouldn’t bother you” argument. Always love that one. Brilliant.
No kidding, right? There are certainly more than a "few" unhappy, as evidenced by the plethora of TMC, REDDIT, FB and other threads on the subject... :rolleyes:

JFC: Do your own research; the facts and data will set you free!

JFC.

It is super mild.

I really appreciated this post. I look to get a plaid soon and this response has helped me weigh in on my decision. Thank you! I think it is overblown too, a lot of people have said it's mild etc. - it also could be that you are experiencing it very mild because yours isn't that bad?

I really appreciated this post. I look to get a plaid soon and this response has helped me weigh in on my decision. Thank you! I think it is overblown too, a lot of people have said it's mild etc. - it also could be that you are experiencing it very mild because yours isn't that bad?
Right. I've had varying degrees, depending on how they put my car together last. It's was really strong between service visits 10 and 11. Not as strong right now.

Reactions: Workmailman

No kidding, right? There are certainly more than a "few" unhappy, as evidenced by the plethora of TMC, REDDIT, FB and other threads on the subject... :rolleyes:

JFC: Do your own research; the facts and data will set you free!

Yes exactly — the facts show that compared to the loud chorus of complaints that is possible by Model S buyers, the bleating from this group is very small. The other threads complaining about Model S issues had many many many more participants over muchmore serious issues. And even then it was still a good deal to take your chances as you do with all purchases.

Potential buyers should consider the sample size reflected in the small but vocal handful of people generating so much upset and outrage in this thread compared to what is possible when more serious and more prevalant problem is the real issues.

I’m sorry if my expressing my experience, and my observations about how this issue compares to others only adds to your upset and your suffering.

Yes exactly, the large majority seem to not have it — either because they don’t notice it, or they do not have it at all to any degree. Most buyers are likely to finds themselves in that group and shouldnt overweight the opinions of a few people who either have it really bad, which rare, or just are the type of people that get excited about minor things like that.

Right. I've had varying degrees, depending on how they put my car together last. It's was really strong between service visits 10 and 11. Not as strong right now.

All good data points for sharing on this forum to give buyers an accurate view.

Hmm, you’ve got a Plaid and drives it like a Honda Fit? “zero launches. Non aggressive driving style”? why would you get it at all then? it’s supposedly built for exactly that, for speed! for track days!! enjoy it …
Lol yep. It’s largely experimental to see if I can avoid the vibration. I will eventually have some fun with it. TBH the biggest reason I went plaid is I like the carbon fiber trim better than the wood, plus the red calipers, and the inventory car was 10k off.