Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model S - rear seat rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mobile service and I believe we found and he fixed the source of this. Was basically the fact that the rear seat was not attached. Tech was able to lift the seat about three to four inches at the 60/40 split. WAY more secure and will test more thoroughly tomorrow. However, it seems to be fixed for good.

Now on to figure out where the next squeaks and rattles are coming from.
How can the seat back not be attached? You are saying that he could just lift the seat back out previously?

Mobile service and I believe we found and he fixed the source of this. Was basically the fact that the rear seat was not attached. Tech was able to lift the seat about three to four inches at the 60/40 split. WAY more secure and will test more thoroughly tomorrow. However, it seems to be fixed for good.

Now on to figure out where the next squeaks and rattles are coming from.
What did he do to fix it?

How can the seat back not be attached? You are saying that he could just lift the seat back out previously?
Sorry, not the seat back, but the seat bench itself. He was literally able to lift it up.
What did he do to fix it?
Honestly, I wish I could tell you. Since it was not originally on the service request, I do not have the notes. But apparently there is a cylinder that goes between the two seats and it was fully on the 40 side of the 60/40 split. He moved that over, tightened it and the seat does not move now. I might go digging through the EPC later to try and point it out, but I am also not sure if the parts catalog breaks down the bench parts to that level.

Sorry, not the seat back, but the seat bench itself. He was literally able to lift it up.

Honestly, I wish I could tell you. Since it was not originally on the service request, I do not have the notes. But apparently there is a cylinder that goes between the two seats and it was fully on the 40 side of the 60/40 split. He moved that over, tightened it and the seat does not move now. I might go digging through the EPC later to try and point it out, but I am also not sure if the parts catalog breaks down the bench parts to that level.
Crikey! Well I’m glad it’s solved for you, but, jeez… Tesla. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Reactions: cwanja

Best I can tell, it is part seven in both photos, which the catalog describes as a "sleeve".
2ND ROW SEAT BACK CENTER PIVOT SLEEVE
Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 12.40.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-11-15 at 12.37.59 PM.pngIMG_3338.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG

The cylinder is a seat back part though, curious how it impacts the seat bench lifting up

• Informative
In addition to the rattle from rear seat latches (mostly resolved with gaffers tape / foam around latch), I also had a very squeaky rear seat bench. As in if you pushed on the side bolsters or sat down it would really squeak. I was able to resolve by releasing and reattaching the entire bench. There are 2 levers on the bottom, front edge between carpet and seat to unlatch. After pulling the bench up, I found there are 2 dense foam blocks underneath that cover some parts on left / right sides. I think one of the foam pieces was misaligned and caused squeak with pressure from bench above. So I simply reset the 2 foam blocks to be snug, and then pushed the entire bench back into place and made sure the latches clipped back into place. No more squeak.

Last edited:
The tape solution worked for me, however, the striker wears through tape with use. As such, I need to re-tape it every 20 or so times the seat is opened / closed. I need to figure out a more permanent solution, but I'm not sure what type of material to use that would increase the diameter of the latch slightly but be durable.
If you haven't found something yet, Plasti Dip might work. Not the rattle can version, but the tough, rubbery stuff to dip tool handles in.

On my car, I used automotive cloth loom tape and it seems to be holding up pretty well so far.

I will throw some more fun into this thread.

I have been chasing a rear rattle for probably six to nine months. Easily six or seven service appointments trying to fix it. We thought it was the rear seats latch, thought it was the U latch, everything. Well I finally got sick of Tesla saying "we cannot reproduce it" driving around the service center when I could reproduce it five seconds down the street in front of my house. So I spent two hours driving around the service center finding a shitty enough road to reproduce (continuously) the rattle. And I finally handed it over to Tesla.

Turns out four things were contributing to this:
  1. Right hand side of the 60 side of the 60/40 seat backs was entirely loose - just tap it and it rattles like jello.
  2. Both rear seat bolsters were jiggling more than Santa's belly
  3. Lift gate lower trim assembly (felt part, below the glass) rattled to the touch
  4. Random wiring harness rattling sound
The fix was:
  1. Seat back clips were all broken; replaced seat backs and does not rattle
  2. Both rear bolsters were installed incorrectly; reseated. However, upon pickup and discussing with the service tech, he touched it and it essentially fell off again. Mobile service to replace in two weeks. I messaged them two minutes later and said "just replace both sides, I still hear a rattle. But I am not sure if is the drivers or passenger side.
  3. More broken clips were never seated properly in the lift gate; second time that they have try to seat this specific part
  4. Lift gate emergency release cable as not seated, found during the reseating of the lift gate assembly
Needless to say, I was a little child on Christmas morning when I finally was able to reproduce the rattles (sadly). The car definitely sounds better after pickup and I am looking forward to having the rear seat bolsters replaced by mobile service in two weeks.

I will throw some more fun into this thread.

I have been chasing a rear rattle for probably six to nine months. Easily six or seven service appointments trying to fix it. We thought it was the rear seats latch, thought it was the U latch, everything. Well I finally got sick of Tesla saying "we cannot reproduce it" driving around the service center when I could reproduce it five seconds down the street in front of my house. So I spent two hours driving around the service center finding a shitty enough road to reproduce (continuously) the rattle. And I finally handed it over to Tesla.

Turns out four things were contributing to this:
  1. Right hand side of the 60 side of the 60/40 seat backs was entirely loose - just tap it and it rattles like jello.
  2. Both rear seat bolsters were jiggling more than Santa's belly
  3. Lift gate lower trim assembly (felt part, below the glass) rattled to the touch
  4. Random wiring harness rattling sound
The fix was:
  1. Seat back clips were all broken; replaced seat backs and does not rattle
  2. Both rear bolsters were installed incorrectly; reseated. However, upon pickup and discussing with the service tech, he touched it and it essentially fell off again. Mobile service to replace in two weeks. I messaged them two minutes later and said "just replace both sides, I still hear a rattle. But I am not sure if is the drivers or passenger side.
  3. More broken clips were never seated properly in the lift gate; second time that they have try to seat this specific part
  4. Lift gate emergency release cable as not seated, found during the reseating of the lift gate assembly
Needless to say, I was a little child on Christmas morning when I finally was able to reproduce the rattles (sadly). The car definitely sounds better after pickup and I am looking forward to having the rear seat bolsters replaced by mobile service in two weeks.
Hopefully the final update to this. Had the rear bolsters replaced on January 2nd. It was not more than 10 minutes after the mobile service, I took a drive and noticed the rattle was not resolved.

New service appointment for today and a new ride along tech. This time, a shop manager. We drove along, he heard it immediately and started fiddling as I drove. Put the seats down and rattle disappears. He goes ‘drive us back and I will fix this in ten seconds’. Well alright buddy.

We get back and he goes in and comes back with a HAMMER. He mashes (maybe dramatic, but hit them with some good force) the striker from the bottom up (north). Turns out, per him, the strikers are installed at 90° and the latches are not. So by nature, they are not flush. Which this forum has proven over and over.

He says he told engineering over and over they need to adjust the angle and plastic dip the striker.

Was a surprisingly involved and informative visit. And the rattles gone. So those with foam and tape, give this a try. At your own will.

Hopefully the final update to this. Had the rear bolsters replaced on January 2nd. It was not more than 10 minutes after the mobile service, I took a drive and noticed the rattle was not resolved.

New service appointment for today and a new ride along tech. This time, a shop manager. We drove along, he heard it immediately and started fiddling as I drove. Put the seats down and rattle disappears. He goes ‘drive us back and I will fix this in ten seconds’. Well alright buddy.

We get back and he goes in and comes back with a HAMMER. He mashes (maybe dramatic, but hit them with some good force) the striker from the bottom up (north). Turns out, per him, the strikers are installed at 90° and the latches are not. So by nature, they are not flush. Which this forum has proven over and over.

He says he told engineering over and over they need to adjust the angle and plastic dip the striker.

Was a surprisingly involved and informative visit. And the rattles gone. So those with foam and tape, give this a try. At your own will.
Instructions not clear. Took hammer, bashed the bottom of the car upwards, rattle still exists, now with a dented door 🤣

Yeah those rear seats are a complete pain. Mine rattled, so I wedged a cloth in between the door and seat and bolster. Rattle stopped, but then a squeaking started. I now have to drive around with the seats folded to prevent any noise. I may try going to town on the striker with a rubber mallet. Just... typical Tesla...

Glad you're sorted!

Yeah those rear seats are a complete pain. Mine rattled, so I wedged a cloth in between the door and seat and bolster. Rattle stopped, but then a squeaking started. I now have to drive around with the seats folded to prevent any noise. I may try going to town on the striker with a rubber mallet. Just... typical Tesla...

Glad you're sorted!

I second the choice of mallets. Don't use steel, like Tesla did on my MS door hinges.

Attachments

• IMG_20220530_131955396.jpg
    IMG_20220530_131955396.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 169