Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model S - rear seat rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@vcor, can you explain depth of foam you used? The tape on mine is not preventing rattle so I just added this.

View attachment 841035
Your picture is close to mine. The first time I had 1/4" thick white foam and I added about 3-4 layers. I just added foam until it stopped rattling it was a bit clunky but worked. It was removed and discarded by service when I had them go to the new design. When the rattle returned, I found a stiff foam that was charcoal in color and about 3/4" thick, and cut it to about 1.5" long. Requires a bit of experimentation depending on how stiff the foam is so that it still latches. It's been about 2 months and no rattle since. Soft foam will not likely work.

Think I won’t have the service center take a look at this until we have a latch revision that is a guaranteed permanent fix. As of now the tape did the trick perfectly for me, and if it comes back I’ll try the foam inserts.

I am only second part order to fix this. Sixth or seventh appointment about this. Appointment was just moved for the second time, 10 days later.

What is the new black U ring part number?
There isn’t a new part number. I have this issue and Tesla refused to replace the latch and says tape is an approved repair method, so they threw a bunch of tape on the U-ring and told me to be happy I have no rattle (until it comes back) and tape on a 6 figure car.

“The latch number provided is the same that is in your vehicle. There has not been an update or revision. Replacing the latch may or may not cause a functional repair of the rattle. The tape that has been installed is an approved repair and thus the rattle is not present.”

• Informative
Reactions: cwanja
There isn’t a new part number. I have this issue and Tesla refused to replace the latch and says tape is an approved repair method, so they threw a bunch of tape on the U-ring and told me to be happy I have no rattle (until it comes back) and tape on a 6 figure car.

“The latch number provided is the same that is in your vehicle. There has not been an update or revision. Replacing the latch may or may not cause a functional repair of the rattle. The tape that has been installed is an approved repair and thus the rattle is not present.”
Does the tape have a part number? 😂

• Funny
Reactions: cwanja
Can confirm my current U bolt is black. As far as I know, still the stock U bolt from build in November of last year. And I definitely know, it rattles like a son of a b——
Yeah. Nothing changed on my early June build either. That said, since I was expecting it it didn’t come as too much of a surprise. It’s like Tesla doesn’t even drive the pre-production cars before selling them…

For others reading, I would becareful.

If you take your car in, take off your tape first to eliminate the excuse the SC can make and say you did your own mod/fix which voids the warranty on that part. I got dinged for a leaky front triangle window, which they attributed to me tinting my windows…

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
For others reading, I would becareful.

If you take your car in, take off your tape first to eliminate the excuse the SC can make and say you did your own mod/fix which voids the warranty on that part. I got dinged for a leaky front triangle window, which they attributed to me tinting my windows…

You've got to be kidding me. How on earth are they blaming tint?

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
You've got to be kidding me. How on earth are they blaming tint?
You tell me lol
D11462AF-7B93-469C-BECC-C1737671306C.jpeg