Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model S - rear seat rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After driving around for about an hour tonight testing things, I am wiling to admit that I have a rattle but is not the seat back. Even with both seats down, it is still rattling.

It seems more like a loose wire in the framing somewhere. Tesla is going to have fun figuring that one out. It is faint with the seat up, but ever so clear with the seat down.

The large white clip that holds the rear seat bolster in rattled on mine. Adding felt tape to where it clips into the seat and into the metal hole of the car cured it. View attachment 735291
I had the same bolster issue with my 22 MS. The rattle was annoying and a little research revealed the bolster was loose. I firmly pressed it in toward the body frame and that resolved the problem. Unfortunately, it has recurred a few months later. Wedging some cloth behind the rear bottom portion of bolster stopped the noise, but is not a viable long-term fix. I'm guessing the clip is defective and I will address it with Tesla during my next service visit.
Like so many others, I've also experienced rear seat rattles. The Tesla SC in Carlsbad, CA adjusted the latches. So far, their fix is holding up after two months.

I had the same bolster issue with my 22 MS. The rattle was annoying and a little research revealed the bolster was loose. I firmly pressed it in toward the body frame and that resolved the problem. Unfortunately, it has recurred a few months later. Wedging some cloth behind the rear bottom portion of bolster stopped the noise, but is not a viable long-term fix. I'm guessing the clip is defective and I will address it with Tesla during my next service visit.
Like so many others, I've also experienced rear seat rattles. The Tesla SC in Carlsbad, CA adjusted the latches. So far, their fix is holding up after two months.
Just felt the interface points and it won’t rattle again.

Reactions: JeffR
Has anyone had intermittent seat latch squeaking (like two rubber or metal objects rubbing against each other), esp when going over bumps.

Feel like it happened after I used felt tape on the U bar.
I do, only over really hard bumps. I thought the felt tape fixed it but now I feel like it's maybe the seat bottom in the rear. Doesn't seem to do it much if someone is sitting in the back so it's been harder to track down.

Reactions: M3Jay
I do, only over really hard bumps. I thought the felt tape fixed it but now I feel like it's maybe the seat bottom in the rear. Doesn't seem to do it much if someone is sitting in the back so it's been harder to track down.
Yea my has an intermittent clicking sound and/or high pitch “squeak”. I think it’s something with the latch as it doesn’t sound when the seat is folded, but who knows, could also be the bench. Also don’t hear it when someone is sitting in the back.

Reached out to my service center and they messaged back saying “Hello Maaz we have not gotten any new updates on the rattles all we can offer at the time is to put more tape on the rattle.”

I’ve only used electrical tape so far, tomorrow I’m going to be adding gaffers tape and foam as well.

I have a rattle somewhere in the liftgate compartment. Service isnt able to fix it after 1 visit
Check the fabric material that goes from middle of the lift gate and up the sides. Bang on it and see if it is secure. My service center found that two of the clips were broken and replaced it. While it did not solve the rattle I am after, it was just another noise I was hearing.

What I am about 90% sure is the source of a loud thudding I am hearing is the seat back of the middle and drives side rear seats. Going over bumpy roads (basically everywhere) and speed bumps makes the worst thud. Problem is, it never happens with the tech in the car. There is now a metal squeaking from the car rear as well.

I tell every tech that while I absolutely love this car, it is the absolute worst car for noises, rattles, squeaks, etc.

Check the fabric material that goes from middle of the lift gate and up the sides. Bang on it and see if it is secure. My service center found that two of the clips were broken and replaced it. While it did not solve the rattle I am after, it was just another noise I was hearing.

What I am about 90% sure is the source of a loud thudding I am hearing is the seat back of the middle and drives side rear seats. Going over bumpy roads (basically everywhere) and speed bumps makes the worst thud. Problem is, it never happens with the tech in the car. There is now a metal squeaking from the car rear as well.

I tell every tech that while I absolutely love this car, it is the absolute worst car for noises, rattles, squeaks, etc.
I had a metallic squeaking over bumps. Put a couple drips of wd-40 down the posts of the rear headrest and I haven’t heard it in the last few trips. Hopefully that was all it was.

I too am overly sensitive to interior noises but I came from a 2019 Audi RS5 I had ordered new and was extremely disappointed by the noises that made as well from day 1. Modern cars with tight fitting plastics just aren’t as quiet as they used to be…at least that is what makes me feel a little better when remembering what they cost.

Reactions: cwanja
Mobile service and I believe we found and he fixed the source of this. Was basically the fact that the rear seat was not attached. Tech was able to lift the seat about three to four inches at the 60/40 split. WAY more secure and will test more thoroughly tomorrow. However, it seems to be fixed for good.

Now on to figure out where the next squeaks and rattles are coming from.

Reactions: zoomer0056