Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed wireless charging pad - max size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Billbrown1982

TM3 LR 2021 | Red | FSD
Dec 21, 2020
Basildon
Hey guys,

Tried a little search and i've found some examples of what people can charge, but do we actually know what the maximum phone size would be for the new charging pads?

With the samsung event a few days away I'm due for an upgrade and just want to make sure I don't choose a phone that won't charge in my new car, cause that would just be silly.

Cheers!

Can’t find it readily but assuming you’re talking about the 2021 Model 3 I saw a video that showed an iPhone 12 Pro Max charging without issues.

On the basis that phones can’t (won’t?) practically get much bigger than that, I’d say any new Samsung released would be just fine.

• Helpful
Reactions: Billbrown1982
Someone posted these sizes imgur.com

Roughly [90mm x 170mm]

iPhone 12 Pro Max is 78mm x 160mm (without case) for comparison.

Whether the coils line up and charge at an effective rate is another matter..

Last edited:
They are pretty large pads. I certainly wouldn’t want any phone that was any bigger! Biggest phone we have is my wife’s iPhone XR which fits easily. My iPhone 6S looks lost on there! I very much doubt you will have any issue.

Yeah i've got an S20+ and will probably just get the S21 equivalent. But I get a lot of time sitting around lately at work and was toying with the idea of getting something bigger, like a note, or even a fold so just checking out my restrictions before the launch day and I make a decision!

Think I must be getting old because I struggle to look at webpages and stuff on my phone now, its just too much hassle on such a small screen.