Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen braking limited?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your battery doesn't like fast charging when it's cold. It improves as it warms up. If you look at the top of the left of your screen, the number of dots on the left side of the horizontal line shows how much regen you're losing. Dots on the right side show how much acceleration is decreased by a cold battery. Sometimes you'll see a snowflake on the right side or on the battery in your phone app, which means a cold battery. If your battery is really cold, you might see 0 mph when charging for awhile while the battery warms up after which the charge rate will slowly increase. On really cold days, we get no regen, which means a lot of friction brake use.

I'm referring to my experience from ND, which gets a LOT colder than NC.

Last edited:
Lithium ion batteries work during discharging by the actual transfer of the lithium ions through a solution from one end of the battery (the anode) to the other end (the cathode). When charging the lithium ions transfer back through the solution at the anode end. The problem comes at the anode end during charging. During very low temperatures some nasty things can happen at the anode which will cause permanent battery damage. Nobody really knows why because it's so difficult to image what is happening at the anode during a live charge event. I'm sure people are working diligently on addressing this problem as it remains one of the biggest gremlins to lithium-ion battery use. That, and there just isn't a whole lot of lithium on the planet.

Your battery is cold and won't charge fast until it warms up from driving around. As others said this is to protect your battery from damage. There is no user-available temperature gauge, but you can estimate it based on the dotted lines on the regen bar. A good hack fix I have found is make sure your car gets a nice amount of charge (add at least 10-20%) before you drive it so the battery is pre-warmed. The Model S has a battery pack heater, but the Model 3 uses waste heat from the motor so it must be in drive to heat the pack, unless you are charging, which creates waste heat.

Reactions: Airgetlam
Thanks for that info to a 2 week owner, any one solve the walk away locking not staying on .? Ie you ate up to have auto lock and walk away locking ,it works once and the next time you leave the car it doesn’t work, and when you check the system the settings have reverted to no, walk away and no auto lock ? Is there a way of setting this so it stays in the locked mode?

On my car that warning shows up all the time. Sometimes I can start driving and regenerative breaking doesn't work, but no message is shown. Sometimes I can drive for 20-30 minutes, and suddenly I get the regen limited message. Sometimes I get the message and I feel no difference in actual regenerative breaking.

I wish Tesla would add an option for "emulate regenerative breaking" so the car would apply a little brake power when the regen is limited. It's not really an issue, but it would make for a smoother experience.

edit: warning instead of error

i just wish the whole concept of it was a little more intuitive. great, regen is limited cause the battery is cold. can you tell me WHEN it will work? on a 40° day it seems like regen doesn't work until i'm below 80%. if i need to warm my battery up before i drive, for how long? why doesn't keeping it plugged in at home keep my battery warm enough for it to matter?

i gotta say, once you're used to regen, and then it's gone, i will sometimes have a panic moment when my car doesn't slow down like it should.

Battery is a lot of mass when we are in transitional weather I can see a difference in regen limiting based on how much I drive the car day to day. Just roll with it, you will adapt.
Far as emulating, regen limiting often comes with potentially frozen precipitation which requires setting regen to low and you can react more quickly and smoothly by you controlling the friction brakes.

I'm sure the temperature (cold) issue is a factor. However, even if it is not cold, when you charge the car all the way (trip charge) the regenerative braking is limited until the top end of the charge is used up. It makes sense as regenerative braking is charging the batter, and if the battery is fully charged...

I'm sure the temperature (cold) issue is a factor. However, even if it is not cold, when you charge the car all the way (trip charge) the regenerative braking is limited until the top end of the charge is used up. It makes sense as regenerative braking is charging the batter, and if the battery is fully charged...
That's because topping up the battery isn't a very good way to retain batter health, so when the batter is above a certain percent they limit regen breaking to prevent strenuous charging. Is what I've heard.

With 2019.36 and one pedal driving I think it works really well.

i just wish the whole concept of it was a little more intuitive. great, regen is limited cause the battery is cold. can you tell me WHEN it will work? on a 40° day it seems like regen doesn't work until i'm below 80%. if i need to warm my battery up before i drive, for how long? why doesn't keeping it plugged in at home keep my battery warm enough for it to matter?

i gotta say, once you're used to regen, and then it's gone, i will sometimes have a panic moment when my car doesn't slow down like it should.
That is what the dashed lines are for. Regen gets stronger as they go away.

Attachments

• 74594298_10156972193497869_1760159885179224064_o.jpg
    74594298_10156972193497869_1760159885179224064_o.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 425
This new “scheduled departure” charge setting with the last update should help with conditioning the battery before you get on the road. It has plenty of issues to improve upon but should help those of you in the cold and not garaged conditioning your battery greatly to my understanding.
And of course it goes without saying stay below 90% if you want full regen as well

The past few day’s I’ve been getting this message pop up after start. It eventually goes away. Is this indicative of a hardware problem?
I'm going to be "that guy"! This is covered in your manual under Regenerative Braking:

The amount of energy fed back to the Battery using regenerative braking can depend on the current state of the Battery and the charge level setting that you are using. For example, regenerative braking may be limited if the Battery is already fully charged or if the ambient temperature is too cold.

Ah... I feel better now