Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen Braking Temporarily Reduced - Every time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Owner's manual.

That bar is the power meter. The left side indicates how much power is going into the battery (regen). The right side is discharge (acceleration). Dots on a side indicate a reduction in either regen or acceleration power. Regen limitation occurs with a cool or cold battery pack as well as a high state of charge. Acceleration limitation typically only occurs when the battery is at a low state of charge (<15-20%).
Interesting, I wasn’t even aware of the bubbles until reading this thread. Today on a drive, during a long downhill section I noticed the bubbles for the first time in my car. Five of them that later went to four before disappearing, BUT ambient temps were in the low 70’s, SOC was around 61% and I’d been driving for over an hour?

893E7743-3EF1-4ABC-B3E5-F607644189C4.jpeg

Interesting, I wasn’t even aware of the bubbles until reading this thread. Today on a drive, during a long downhill section I noticed the bubbles for the first time in my car. Five of them that later went to four before disappearing, BUT ambient temps were in the low 70’s, SOC was around 61% and I’d been driving for over an hour?

View attachment 604630
Sounds correct. As others have said the battery temp wants to be 80* before excepting full regen.

View attachment 604630
The BMS is quite complicated and there's no easy answer as to what conditions are needed and how many bubbles there are to limit the brake regen. Originally I thought it was based upon just the battery temperature, but it's not. I've been monitoring my battery temps in the morning via the SMT app and I've seen certain temps at different driving times and the brake regen levels are different.

I've left my home with the battery packs at 70F after pre-charging and then driving for 30 minutes to see a 4F rise to 74F. The brake regen is completely removed at 72F.

I've also left my home without pre-conditioning and the battery pack at 54F. 75% brake regen is limited. After 80 minutes of driving, battery packs are 74F and there's still ~ 6 bubbles. There are other conditions that the BMS is taking into account and I haven't been able to figure out what those are, but it's not strictly the battery temps.

Also, each quarter section on the left of the power bar is about 25 kW, so if the system restricts brake regen to 1/2, you can max brake regen 50 kW. When I had the system at 75%, the most I would get is 24.xx kW of brake regen. When it was at 50%, I was getting 49.xx kW of brake regen.

The key thing, I've found, is pre-conditioning whenever possible, especially if you're plugged in at home and leaving. The brake regen limitations are completely removed or very minimal every time I've pre-charged to warm the batteries up.

Reactions: Stach and WarpedOne
I too have just noticed the "dots" on the right side of the power bar. My car was charged to 80% on a 40amp lvl 2 EVSE, the temp in my garage when I left home was 63 degrees, OAT was 45 degrees and SUNNY, drove 10 miles and when I got to my destination the "dots" were still visible. I parked for 30 minutes in the bright SUN and drove home. I did some UBER hard acceleration pulls followed by max regen to a full stop a few times and when I pulled into my garage after the same 10 miles all the "dots" were still present. This was the first time I have experienced this.

We have some sunny days getting bak int the 70's this week and will keep an eye on this.

Get used to it :) As others have said, the pack is happy only over ~72F. Even if it's 60-70F outside, if it was 40F during the night the pack is at 40F and will take hours to ramp up if you're just driving. It helps to charge the car as the car will heat the battery first. Leaving the battery at lower charge has been reported as helping somewhat by some people but you won't get it all back.
Don't look at the dots for a precise value, it's a relative indicator. Even when there are no dots, you sometimes have less than the maximum 85kW of regen. You just don't get a message. In real cold you also lose power and can get dots on the right side... It'S just the BMS protecting the battery, don't worry.

Reactions: RNHurt
Sounds correct. As others have said the battery temp wants to be 80* before excepting full regen.
But that's the interesting bit. In the first part of my drive (going up the mountain) regen was performing at 100% (indicated on the bar). While I was driving in the canyons, regen was still at 100%. The bubbles only appeared when I was heading home (down the mountain) and had sustained periods of regen. In this case, this makes me doubt it was a low temperature issue, since the pack temps were good for most of my drive. Maybe it was an overheating issue? Is there such a thing as too much regen, even when SOC is low?

But that's the interesting bit. In the first part of my drive (going up the mountain) regen was performing at 100% (indicated on the bar). While I was driving in the canyons, regen was still at 100%. The bubbles only appeared when I was heading home (down the mountain) and had sustained periods of regen. In this case, this makes me doubt it was a low temperature issue, since the pack temps were good for most of my drive. Maybe it was an overheating issue? Is there such a thing as too much regen, even when SOC is low?
The BMS will also limit brake regen if you're going back down the mountain due to the heat generated.

Using ScanMyTesla I can see the "max regen" value change while driving. After using some regen, the max value lowers for a bit before coming back. It's like the pack doesn't want to charge at high rates too often. You know, 85kW is ~supercharger territory. If you're going mostly downhill, then engines are not producing much heat I guess. It's their heat that's circulated in the battery. If it's cold outside, the battery could technically get colder while driving although with regen you're charging it which generates some heat. Ultimately, what we need to remember is that the BMS is doing its job protecting the battery.

Reactions: Stach
The BMS will also limit brake regen if you're going back down the mountain due to the heat generated.
That rings true to me. I'm betting there was so much regen, that things got too hot. Which is a bummer because I was starting to recoup most of my output until this kicked in. At one point I was at 189 miles to empty, after almost 13 miles later, I was showing 192 miles to empty. It'd be fun to be able to charge the car up by driving down a mountain!

I've also left my home without pre-conditioning and the battery pack at 54F.
. . .
The key thing, I've found, is pre-conditioning whenever possible, especially if you're plugged in at home and leaving. The brake regen limitations are completely removed or very minimal every time I've pre-charged to warm the batteries up.

I'll bite, how does one activate pre-conditioning? I thought user activated pre-conditioning was kinda a myth. The BMS does it's magic and none of the magic include user intervention (like pre-conditioning).

I'll bite, how does one activate pre-conditioning? I thought user activated pre-conditioning was kinda a myth. The BMS does it's magic and none of the magic include user intervention (like pre-conditioning).
Just turn on the HVAC. In colder weather, Stator motors will warm up and coolant will pass thrift then and eventually pass through batteries.

You can also set a Tesla supercharger as a navigation destination and the batteries will warm up.

This is why you'll see Model 3 owners, in the winter, lose miles/ battery percent while plugged into a 110v charger. The pre-conditioning process takes more energy than what the electrical outlet can provide.

@HeyEph, I ran into a similar issue and had a SC appointment to look at it. They ended up replacing the Battery System Control Unit.

Essentially I was getting the Regen dialogue non stop once the temperatures got colder. At one point my regen was weak sauce and never got any stronger as the drive progressed. The regen performance degradation and dialogues were pretty consistent and constant.

All is good after the fix!

• Informative
Reactions: Stach
Driving down a long hill. Regen worked for about 20 mins then I got the message it was limited. So no regen for the last 15 minutes down. Why would that be.
It was a nice warm day.

What was the battery percentage and outside temperature when you started down the hill? And what was the battery percentage and outside temperature when you got the regen limited message? Assuming that long of a downhill trip meant an increase in outside temperatures which might factor into cooling.

Since regen did work at the start, we can assume that battery temperature was adequate and battery level was low enough to accept charging from regen. So if regen did work and then went away over time, that's probably because:
  • the battery temperature changed to something too cold or too hot for accepting that much charge, so BMS reduced regen, and/or
  • the battery charge level was too high to accept that much current, so BMS reduced regen, and/or
  • it was a thermal issue and cooling of the motors was needed after a prolonged regen period.
Regen is trying to capture energy that is normally lost and save that back to the battery. In order to regen charge the battery, the battery temperature and its state of charge are both important. BMS will want battery temp to be within a certain range for charging. And your battery will accept less and less charge energy as it becomes more charged, so it depends on how much energy is coming from regen and how much your battery/BMS will accept at that time. And finally, if your motor(s) are getting too hot, the car will restrict how much regen they can do. Not sure how much of a factor motor temp from regen may have, if any, but it is a possibility since you did say 35 minutes down hill so prolonged regen and warming outside temperatures may factor into this equation.

Reactions: GtiMart