Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen breaking no longer effective

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sn196

Mar 29, 2022
Uk
I’ve had my model y for nearly a month now but really concerned about the Regen breaking. When I first bought it was really aggressive coming to a halt, now I have so much roll even when lifting my foot right off the accelerator.

I charge to 80% and this happens throughout the battery drain.

I remember there being a setting which allowed to set the roll when foot was off peddle but I can no longer find it.

Is this a Tesla call jobby?

Attachments

• 541667AF-22B1-4EEA-895C-C07605552E44.jpeg
    541667AF-22B1-4EEA-895C-C07605552E44.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 164
Unless you had an early 2020 Model Y, you never had a regen setting. You've either gotten used to it or the weather is sufficiently cold that your regen is limited. When you're noticing this, do you have any black dots (.......) to the left of your regen/energy bar at the top left of the screen? The dots indicate that the regen is reduced due to high state of charge or cold temperature.

There is another thread on this. Latest update changed something with regen. I'm 2 years and 22K miles into ownership, and have to manually apply the breaks all the time over the past 2 weeks, regardless of the temp outside.
The past week has been substantially colder at night, resulting in a colder battery. Remember that the battery is 1000 lbs of mass, and it takes a while to change temperature.

Limited regen in Northern Virginia the past week is due to cold overnight temperatures.

Regen limits are visualized by a series of dots on the left side of the power gauge (more of a line than a gauge). The closer those dots get to the center of the power gauge, the less regen that’s available.

I'm on version 2022.8.2 software. Warmer here than No. VA, but even during below freezing, I've noticed no difference in regen, except when (rarely) charged to 100% for a road trip.
That's unusual. I notice it even in Southern California for the rare times the temps dip into the 50s. Apart from noticing it, I'll even get a message on the left side of the screen letting me know that regen is reduced.

There is another thread on this. Latest update changed something with regen. I'm 2 years and 22K miles into ownership, and have to manually apply the breaks all the time over the past 2 weeks, regardless of the temp outside.
I agree. i have a 3 with 2 1/2 years and 28k and the regeneration just weakened considerably. I recently did an update and it seems to have started following that. I almost never had to brake and now I have to frequently. Where is that other thread? Thanks

Unless you had an early 2020 Model Y, you never had a regen setting. You've either gotten used to it or the weather is sufficiently cold that your regen is limited. When you're noticing this, do you have any black dots (.......) to the left of your regen/energy bar at the top left of the screen? The dots indicate that the regen is reduced due to high state of charge or cold temperature.
omfg and this is why I should read the damn manual. I always wondered what those meant, and it makes perfect sense now.