Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen today seems way worse...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so driving yesterday was fine and I’m in a model 3 performance. Today I went out with the car and I had a limited regen message but it was by far the least regen I’ve ever had when started the car, the dotted lines were all the way to the center. As the car warmed up the dotted line did go back but it took a long time and it’s about 45 degrees outside, same as yesterday.

After the regen line was totally back the car still doesn’t feel the same as it always was. It has stronger regen when starting up but doesn’t really have much braking until around 25 mph and lower. Totally different.

I loved my regen yesterday and something changed. No new software update. Still on 42.4

Any ideas? I tried to toggle regen on and off standard but not effect.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
It was 80% charge (what I set it to), fresh off the charger in the morning. Same as I've had it every day since I've gotten it (about 3 weeks now). It was substantially colder yesterday and it wasn't behaving this way.

Pretty sure it’s the outside temperature effect. Same here. Though departing from garage was fine (connected to HPWC). After being parked outside with no power for 1.5 hrs, had limited regen for the 15 minute drive home

Reactions: Jtt777
Even when it said it has "full regen" it still didn't seem to be using it all. It must need to be warmer.

So in terms of warming your battery, it sounds like it will warm itself when it gets really cold. People suspect there will be battery warming if you preheat the cabin. Lastly, if I schedule charging to happen into the early morning before I take the car on my morning commute, that might be best. Anything else?

How does cold temperatures effect the overall life of the battery? I need to keep this car outside but i could potentially bring it inside. My impression now is that cold temperatures just reduce performance but don't harm the battery. Hot temperatures harm the battery. Is that the correct understanding?

I was just going to post a topic on this issue - I'm experiencing the same thing. I have a LR RWD Model 3 and live in Wisconsin - I just took my car on its first road trip in the cold (it was in the 30s today). Forgive my somewhat rambling post that follows, I just want to accurately describe the state of the car/battery at the time I started to notice the issue.

At home I charged to 100% from 80% (which took a few hours), then departed and drove ~120 miles with the heat on - my point being that there was quite a bit of activity to warm up the battery. The car sat for a few hours outside, then I drove ~70 miles to a supercharger. When I got there I had 18% battery left... I was charging at about 115KW up to 55% battery, then left for home (I would assume the battery was nice and warm at that point). After another 30 miles I got off the interstate, and noticed that I didn't really have much regen on the off-ramp.

I noticed NO DOTS on the regen bar, and I was definitely on standard regen. I tried to toggle to low and back, just to make sure. I performed a few experiments to try to determine what was going on. I found that if I was traveling at highway speeds, like 60 MPH, and suddenly let off the accelerator, I would get a small "burst" of regen, then the regen decreased noticeably. If I kept my foot off of the accelerator, regen got MUCH stronger once the car slowed down to about 20 MPH, and remained strong until I had to use the mechanical brakes to stop. I was able to repeat this over and over again with the same results.

I had assumed it had to do with the cold - but the car offered no indication that regen would be limited, and I would have assumed that given the amount of driving/charging I had done that the car would have been warm enough to avoid issues.

From reading the thread so far this sounds like "normal" behavior for a Tesla in the cold?