Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rehoboth Beach, Delaware - Proposed 16 kW Charging Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A limitation of the CS-100 is it can't accommodate the optional keypad payment mechanism. The CS-60 is the highest amp charging station Clipper Creek makes that will take the keypad. I don't know why. If a municipality or property owner needs to be able to charge for electricity, the CS-60 is the best they can do. That's why Fredericksburg ended up installing the CS-60 rather than the CS-100 that Tesla owners in Austin recommended. It's still a huge step forward from the overpriced and underpowered 30A Chargepoints

Here is a CS-100 with the optional keypad mechanism. Solar powered though so it's free.
cs100.jpg
cs100a.jpg

I can't help with the metro DC area, but the recent experience in Fredericksburg, Texas may be of interest to them as it's also a tourist destination. Fredericksburg installed two high-amp level 2 charging stations near the center of the historic area. Chargers were paid for by non-profits orgs (similar to proposal in Delaware) and installed by the city (also similar to Delaware). They charge $2.00 per hour of charging, paid using the MobileNow service (by smartphone app or cell phone call). There is no fee for parking as all parking in town is free. No time limit, and lingering hasn't been a problem so far. Busier areas would depend on EV driver courtesy. ICEing would be a much bigger concern than EV "lingering".

I wonder why they're concerned about fee structure now, as what I read in the proposal as posted by Lanny is the grant covers electricity costs for two years.

I can tell you why they are concerned about parking fees. They have them everywhere for everything!! They would lose money if the spaces were vacant. They charge little to no property taxes because they make all of their money off us tourists.

I am new to the forums and just ordered my car which I take delivery on in December. The fact that Rehoboth will have chargers will allow me to go to the beach and spend my money there while not having to worry about getting back to Wilmington. Sounds like a win - win situation to me. Thanks for your work on this.

I am new to the forums and just ordered my car which I take delivery on in December. The fact that Rehoboth will have chargers will allow me to go to the beach and spend my money there while not having to worry about getting back to Wilmington. Sounds like a win - win situation to me. Thanks for your work on this.

Wilmington to Rehoboth and back is only about 185 miles. Should be no problem on a charge unless you got a MS60. And you could stop in Newark at the SC if necessary on the trip back.

I do this drive once every three weeks and it can be a stretch in the winter, although it's a breeze in the summer (no pun intended). Even with my P85 I set the cruise to about 67 just to help conserve juice. Having this charger in Rehoboth will help a ton for destination charging in town. I drove by two weeks ago and they haven't started construction yet. I will keep my eye on it and post pictures when I see progress!

I stopped by Rehoboth Beach on the way to the @TeslaRoadTrip event a few weeks ago and saw that concrete has been poured for the two High-Amp Level 2 (HAL2) charging stations.

Here are some photos.

RBCS2-625x352.jpg

RBCS1-625x388.jpg

Lanny

Rehoboth Beach High-Amp L2 Update

UPDATE – June 9, 2015: The Rehoboth Beach High-Amp Level 2 stations are expected to be online “shortly.” Perhaps in a few weeks?

The charging station enclosures are in place, but they are awaiting some internal components and once they arrive, the J-1772 cables will be attached and signs put up.

I will try to provide more information here as it develops.

Lanny

These two high-amp Level 2 charging stations are now available. A Model S driver was able to charge on both of them. Thanks University of Delaware, DNREC and the town of Rehoboth Beach, especially Commissioner Stan Mills who championed the proposal by Dr. Willet Kempton to install these "Charging Up Delaware" stations in Rehoboth Beach.

Lanny

This is an AC charging station and I have the standard single onboard 10 kW charger. I'm curious how fast a dual charger equipped car would charge. The car reports 245 volts here which is the highest I've seen.

On a good sunny day, I see 245 or so Volts at 80 Amps on my HPWC in Pagosa; I see 57-58 mph then.

The sun helps because I have 24 kW DC Solar PV into the same sub-panel in Pagosa. That means even with 19.6 kW into the HPWC and some other loads on the panel, I am still pretty close to net-zero at the panel, meaning no transmission losses (IR drop) to the sub-panel. OTOH, it's a good stiff connection to the grid. Even at night, I only lose a few Volts more, about one mph of charge rate.

With those HAL2 charging opportunities in Delaware, you need to get a second charger!