Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Release Break Hold. Am I doing this wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know when Hold is engaged, it says in the manual, and on-screen, to press the brake pedal again to release it. The thing is I find this counter-intuitive, and it seems much more logical to just depress the accelerator, rather than tapping the brake (risk rolling backwards) then hitting the accelerator.

More than than, it seems to work fine when I do just that. Any issues with continuing to do so, despite the instructions provided?

I haven’t read what is displayed on the screen recently, are you sure it says to press the break pedal?

In the manual, this is what it says:

“To disengage Vehicle Hold, press the accelerator pedal or press and release the brake pedal.”

It was the onscreen message that had me scratching my head. Assumed all was ok, thanks for validating, everyone!

To recount what others have said here: Yeah, I generally only ever release brake hold by hitting the accelerator. There are a couple of situations where I do briefly hold the brake to release it without using the accelerator:

1. I back into my driveway (uphill) every night to charge. In the AM, I often want to pull very slowly out of the driveway onto the street, so I just depress the brake pedal to release the brake an then roll down into the street.
2. If I pull up to an intersection a little too far and I am on a hill backwards I can let the car roll back without having to change into reverse.

I think this is a new message. I have found that it comes up when in drive pointed downhill and when in reverse pointed uphill. I think it is there in case someone is trying to figure out why gravity isn’t making their car roll when it is “in gear” and remind them how to roll gently downhill.