Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Relieved didn't buy a Standard Range M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only had my new SR+ (with the new larger 60kwh pack) for a week.

I’ve travelled 485 miles in that time, in freezing conditions (no higher than 4deg here all week) and wet roads basically every day. Mixture of local town and dual carriageways.

From my calculations from my meter readings, etc and the trip computer, I have averaged 206 miles to a charge.

Not bad considering that also includes me “experimenting” by mashing the pedal at most opportunities. New car syndrome and all that.

My point is, I kept hearing “horror stories” of me only getting 150 miles if I’m lucky in winter months. Seems like that’s not my experience so far.

Only had my new SR+ (with the new larger 60kwh pack) for a week.

I’ve travelled 485 miles in that time, in freezing conditions (no higher than 4deg here all week) and wet roads basically every day. Mixture of local town and dual carriageways.

From my calculations from my meter readings, etc and the trip computer, I have averaged 206 miles to a charge.

Not bad considering that also includes me “experimenting” by mashing the pedal at most opportunities. New car syndrome and all that.

My point is, I kept hearing “horror stories” of me only getting 150 miles if I’m lucky in winter months. Seems like that’s not my experience so far.
No no... someone will come along and will give you a load of tosh figures and tell you that cant be right 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: Simonix
In my 2018 P- I use the % display and assume 3 miles to a % in the summer, and 2 miles a % in the winter. The winter figure is a little pessimistic, especially if I can pre-heat, but that's just safety margin.

The P- has aero wheels, and no spoiler which may help, but no heat pump which really doesn't.

I've been charging my LR to 95% for long journeys about twice a week. It's started complaining about the battery abuse but since it's a Tusker car I'm not particularly bothered if the battery is shagged when it goes back in three years; should go some way towards offsetting their "admin" fee.

What do you mean by "complaining"? Does it pop up a warning about the charge level when you set it to over 90% or something?

I'm finding at the moment that I need to charge to 90% at the start of the week, and then manage things carefully, if I want to avoid going outside the 4h Octopus Go window. This is on an 80 mile round trip, mostly on the M5. By the end of the week I'm getting only 70-75% in, and then top it back up to 90% over the weekend.

Interestingly, this usage pattern has increased the range on TeslaFi vs the summer:

Screenshot 2021-12-05 at 11.27.32.png

What do you mean by "complaining"? Does it pop up a warning about the charge level when you set it to over 90% or something?

I'm finding at the moment that I need to charge to 90% at the start of the week, and then manage things carefully, if I want to avoid going outside the 4h Octopus Go window. This is on an 80 mile round trip, mostly on the M5. By the end of the week I'm getting only 70-75% in, and then top it back up to 90% over the weekend.

Interestingly, this usage pattern has increased the range on TeslaFi vs the summer:

View attachment 740844
Can't you charge to 80% and top it up during the week?? It would be better for the battery long term

Reactions: Adopado
I've had a 'you're frequently charging to > 90%, this isn't a great thing to do' message pop up a few times, typically when we've been away for the weekend, with work trips either side of the weekend, meaning I need to charge a fair bit.

I estimate that to be about 360 Wh/mile, I assume the car started from cold to took some power to warm cabin and battery. If you pre-heat while connected to power it might have been better.
I checked the consumption this morning over the past 30 miles, and all I can tell is that it was 300-340W/mile, but this didn't show the sentry consumption.

Not complaining or moaning, it is what it is, but the trip has made me think that a planned 170 mile return trip is the maximum to contemplate in winter without a top-up, but it's over 200 miles in summer when I saw consumption at 230W/mile.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
I checked the consumption this morning over the past 30 miles, and all I can tell is that it was 300-340W/mile, but this didn't show the sentry consumption.

Not complaining or moaning, it is what it is, but the trip has made me think that a planned 170 mile return trip is the maximum to contemplate in winter without a top-up, but it's over 200 miles in summer when I saw consumption at 230W/mile.
I’m seeing 250-300wh/mile in these conditions vs 180-200wh/mile at the end of the summer. LFP SR+

I’ve never actually suffered the severe winter range drop in my SR+ that is claimed. Not on long/cold/wet trips anyway; I can get at least 150 miles in this weather and by then I need to stop for a break. I can appreciate that doesn’t suit everyone though.

Range has been horrible with daily drives recently however, which is more aligned with winter range drops, but I’m not fussed because I don’t typically travel more than 100 miles a week anyway so can top up.
Doats1, I found this in my first winter and I kind of came up with a theory (hardly a groundbreaking one but it was a lightbulb moment at the time). Any model 3 is drawing heat for climate and seats etc in the same amounts no matter which battery it has. But the SR+ feels the pain more as it has the smaller battery. So whilst I share your good experiences on winter runs, at lower speeds you feel the pain of the heater draw and seats etc a lot more per mile and percentage of your battery left over time.

I had a day where I spent several hours sitting outside places waiting for people (it was a long and peculiar day) which took a massive chunk out of my battery and I realised it was because whilst I’d done few miles, I’d done many hours and minutes of climate etc. I get the same results as you trundle around the doors even with preheating plugged in etc. It’s a 20q9 car so has the older heater system.

With the 75D S that sits alongside I see another thing reaffirming my theory to myself which is that with Sentry on in both cars side by side, the drain percentage wise is lower in the S and you feel it less because of the bigger battery.

• Informative
Reactions: Avendit and doats1