Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removed Gemini hubcaps, center caps clicking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. I removed my Gemini hubcaps a while back and installed an Amazon set of center caps and lug nut covers. They looked great but every time I rolled to a stop, I heard a clicking sound from my front passenger wheel, almost like the wheel was popping the center cap out. It happens every time I roll to a stop, so you can imagine driving around town with the windows down, stopping at stop signs... it's enough to drive a girl nuts.

Thinking it was the crappy Amazon set I replaced with the OEM set (spoiler alert, it's not any nicer than the Amazon kit) and the clicking persists. So I have the feeling it's a wheel problem vs. a kit problem.

No, the clicking doesn't occur when I put the Gemini hubs back on. No, I can't see anything happening when I have someone else roll to a stop. No, I haven't made a service appointment becuase I thought I'd ask yall before I give my car up for a month and hope service can fix it.

Anyone else experience this?

does sound happen without accessory/wheel cap?

Does applying the brake (lightly) change the noise or frequency under similar conditions?
Does sound happen when going straight, left, right?

have you checked torque of lug nuts, brake calipers, and suspension parts?

I’d start there.

I'm having the same with mine. I thought it was because I still have the gemini covers on since I read somewhere it may be the clips on the covers making that sound. I haven't tried driving with the hubcaps off yet but will give it a try to see if that changes anything.

I'm having the same with mine. I thought it was because I still have the gemini covers on since I read somewhere it may be the clips on the covers making that sound. I haven't tried driving with the hubcaps off yet but will give it a try to see if that changes anything.

@Mr. 4sch sadly this is indeed "normal" with the Gemini covers on, but is a grindy noise that you can hear not just when stopping, but when in motion at low speeds.