Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing “Dual Motor” Badge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to laugh at this. I think there is another post on this site about how to get the "dual motor" badge. Maybe you should see if anyone wants it. We are indeed a diverse group....

I’m also laughing :) I can’t understand why someone would spend many thousands more on the dual motor AWD Long Range or Performance, and then remove the badge so that it looks like the cheaper SR+. Other people can’t tell there’s a difference in how the car drives, and there should probably be a badge saying TESLA too, so people know to give the car a wide berth!

There aren’t any ugly side skirts, extra headlights, or front spoilers to differentiate the models, not all Performance versions wear the bigger wheels, and Tesla’s rear spoiler isn’t body-colour and looks like a cheap add-on - the badge is the only thing that really identifies the more expensive model. Why remove it?

If there was a badge saying STANDARD RANGE or better still, BASE MODEL, I’d like that too, but I can understand why some people would remove it :D

-Alex

Last edited:
I’m also laughing :) I can’t understand why someone would spend many thousands more on the dual motor AWD Long Range or Performance, and then remove the badge so that it looks like the cheaper SR+

Because the badge makes the car asymmetical in the rear and thus ugly. It makes the car worse than without it.

I paid more for AWD for the driving performance of it, not to advertise to other people I spent more money. If I were more interested in showing off spending than actual performance driving I'd have bought an S.

Last edited:
Because the badge makes the car asymmetical in the rear and thus ugly. It makes the car worse than without it.

I paid more for AWD for the driving performance of it, not to advertise to other people I spent more money. If I were more interesting in showing off spending than actual performance driving I'd have bought an S.

Fair enough! :)
Maybe I’ll add ‘TESLA’ to mine on the left side (when I get my car), as there are so few on NZ roads (a couple of hundred Model S/X in a sea of three million Jap imports) that not many people would recognise the T badge, let alone tell the models apart. There’s quite a few Hyundai Tiburons here, they have a T badge...

I’m considering asking the delivery centre not to put the spoiler on, which is just as bad as removing the badge, I guess ;)

-Alex

Last edited:
My Model 3 Performance came without the Dual Motor badge and carbon fiber rear spoiler at delivery. Both "T" badges were removed for ppf installation and I decided to just leave them off. I personally like the cleaner look and most people think it's just a generic import sedan. Mobile Service gave me the Dual Motor badge because I didn't want it installed. Hoping to get a rear spoiler that actually fits on tomorrow's Mobile Service appointment.

I thought I was the only one that hated the Dual Motor badge. I have an SR+ (so it was obviously never an issue for me) but when the badges started showing up around town, I always felt like it really threw off the beautiful minimalist symmetry of the car. If I had a dual motor, I would remove the badge for sure.

Just park the car in direct sun, use a little fishing line or dental floss and clean up with Goo Gone...easy peasy.

Agree with you. Also, no one knows what a “dual motor” is or what it does outside of Tesla folks. Useless add on for sure

Reactions: Dolemite
I’m also laughing :) I can’t understand why someone would spend many thousands more on the dual motor AWD Long Range or Performance, and then remove the badge so that it looks like the cheaper SR+. Other people can’t tell there’s a difference in how the car drives, and there should probably be a badge saying TESLA too, so people know to give the car a wide berth!

There aren’t any ugly side skirts, extra headlights, or front spoilers to differentiate the models, not all Performance versions wear the bigger wheels, and Tesla’s rear spoiler isn’t body-colour and looks like a cheap add-on - the badge is the only thing that really identifies the more expensive model. Why remove it?

If there was a badge saying STANDARD RANGE or better still, BASE MODEL, I’d like that too, but I can understand why some people would remove it :D

-Alex

I didn’t get the all wheel drive for the badge. Didn’t even know it comes with a badge. I got it because of the all wheel drive, extra range, and better performance. Not having the badge obviously doesn’t change any of that but makes the car look less clean

Reactions: alexGS
Why do I need to indicate it an all wheel drive car? And to who?

If for whatever reason you are towed (voluntarily or otherwise), it’s important that that tow company know. Being an AWD performance car enthusiast, I’ve been on way too many forums where owners have de-badged their AWD car, and been towed by the front or rear wheels by a tow company. It’s not pretty.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
So I didn’t want to get into why the badge is good or bad, but that’s where people naturally want to go. Seems like the point is Tesla won’t do it for free, but I can use a heat gun or hair drier with some floss. This sounds risky to me. Lucky I’m going to get my windows tinted next weekend and I’m assuming they also know how to take off badges. Maybe they’ll do it for free. Fingers crossed!

Point the trunk into the sun on a warm day or warm with a heat gun. Use dental floss to remove the badge. Goo-Gone to remove leftover adhesive. Wax.

Congratulate self on removing a horrid badge. All trim badges are but it’s particularly so.
Or you could rearrange it to spell something else. I did. Lots of cool options. Below from scrabble word finder. I liked MAD TORO. But settled on something else I can’t post.

9 Letter Word
8 Letter Word
7 Letter Words
6 Letter Words
5 Letter Words
4 Letter Words
3 Letter Words
2 Letter Words

Last edited:
  • Helpful