Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing Stock subwoofer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took a look and this sub is on sale for $75.99, at this point its an impulse purchase. Is the hexagon retention bracket still needed? Don't have a 3d printer handy so wondering if it can be installed as is.

I installed mine without any additional bracket. There are 6 screw holes in the stock sub and 8 in the SQ. I centered the SQ in the existing enclosure opening and drilled new holes, used new screws, and filled original screw holes with silicone. The stock premium amp handles the stock 1 ohm sub so wiring the 2 ohm SQ in parallel drives the dual voice coils just fine at 1 ohm. The SQ also works very nicely with the Light Harmonic amp.

Would you show how to wire in parallel? I’d like to buy the sub and install it myself. Thanks!
Just solder/connect both positive leads from each voice coil on the sub together and the same for the negative leads. Then solder/connect them to the stock sub’s connector.
Here’s the stock sub and connector. Solder the two positive leads from the new sub to the grey/red spade and the negative leads to the grey/black spade.

Attachments

• 6123E947-681D-4647-A916-C49546C3F815.jpeg
    6123E947-681D-4647-A916-C49546C3F815.jpeg
    349.4 KB · Views: 278
I finally got around to installing this sub this past weekend. As others have said soldered the + together and the - together. Then took the harness already being used by the original speaker the clipped the connectors off. Then soldered + to + and - to - and then shrink tubed over the connections so as not to cause any issues later on. As for actually mounting the speaker I just used drywall coarse screws. I did not predrill since I couldn't find a bit in my collection that would be small enough for the screws. Also the plastic is kind of soft so just take your time drilling the screws otherwise you will strip it out. For the existing holes I did not have any silicon so I just used a hot glue gun to seal them up.

As for breaking in the sub whenever I'm out side either grilling or doing something I use the Tone Gen app and play a 40hz tone at 30% for the time I'm out there. Thinking of just having it play a sweep via a youtube video for a few hours. Over all it wasn't too bad, I think the worse part was removing and reinstalling all of the trim work.

Here is a side by side comparison between stock and soundqubed sub

photo_2020-04-24_08-32-34.jpg

I am interested in doing this too in my 2019 100D but I notice the HDS2.1 is now discontinued and there are none available that I can find. It has been replace by the HDS2.2, which is $119 + tax.

Has anyone tried this one? Does it have any install issues as the dimensions have changed slightly in some areas. Sound as good etc?

I am interested in doing this too in my 2019 100D but I notice the HDS2.1 is now discontinued and there are none available that I can find. It has been replace by the HDS2.2, which is $119 + tax.

Has anyone tried this one? Does it have any install issues as the dimensions have changed slightly in some areas. Sound as good etc?

Interesting. Probably why they had dropped the price around the time I picked one up. Based on the specs it doesn't appear to be any larger, they just implemented some improvements. That being said wouldn't be a bad idea to send them a note asking them about size differences between the 2. Otherwise it appears it should fit like the 2.1 line.

The specs are a little better on the HDS2.1 compared to the new HDS2.1. Looks like they changed the frame and other components resulting in a lighter overall weight. Cutout size, however, is 1/8” larger on the new model. I am ordering an HDS2.2 so I can do a side by side comparison to the HDS2.1. Specs are important, but sound rules so I would like to hear the difference.

The specs are a little better on the HDS2.1 compared to the new HDS2.1. Looks like they changed the frame and other components resulting in a lighter overall weight. Cutout size, however, is 1/8” larger on the new model. I am ordering an HDS2.2 so I can do a side by side comparison to the HDS2.1. Specs are important, but sound rules so I would like to hear the difference.

My bad. Didn't even think to pull up the specs side by side. Very curious to see what you find out and if its worthy of an upgrade from the 2.1 model.

Capture.PNG

My bad. Didn't even think to pull up the specs side by side. Very curious to see what you find out and if its worthy of an upgrade from the 2.1 model.

View attachment 535355

Sensitivity is slightly better on the old version, but a couple of other specs caught my eye. Looks like a lower sound frequency resonance point on the old version (34hz vs 44hz) and the old version pushes more air (9.4 liters vs 4.3 liters). Qts less than .4 is best for a vented enclosure - old is .37 and new is .51. Does all of this matter in sound quality? Can’t say until I test. I don’t want to speculate why they made these changes, but the only negative in the old version from my perspective was the break-in. If I were redesigning the speaker, I would try to find ways to reduce or eliminate break-in. They could do a pre break-in before delivery, but that would not be practical. I can imagine many buyers ignoring break-in and blowing their subs. Again, I don’t want to speculate why a business does what they do without facts. I have a spare stock sub enclosure and will install and test the new sub. The old version will be hard to beat, but maybe they found the perfect combination that sounds close to perfect.

Reactions: powaking
I know it’s hard to diagnose blind, but installed the SQ sub in my 2020 model x. Parallel wired. No upgrade to amp. It makes noise, but not much. All the bass I can hear is coming from front speakers. I tried moving fade all the way to the back and it’s obvious it’s not working right. Anyone have an idea what I did wrong? Thanks.

I know it’s hard to diagnose blind, but installed the SQ sub in my 2020 model x. Parallel wired. No upgrade to amp. It makes noise, but not much. All the bass I can hear is coming from front speakers. I tried moving fade all the way to the back and it’s obvious it’s not working right. Anyone have an idea what I did wrong? Thanks.
I would check all connections, especially if you soldered. If you connected both voice coils positive wires with the positive wire from the premium amp, and all negatives connected together then I would check continuity of both wires from the amp harness to the sub. If everything checks out then I would suspect the sub is bad.

I would check all connections, especially if you soldered. If you connected both voice coils positive wires with the positive wire from the premium amp, and all negatives connected together then I would check continuity of both wires from the amp harness to the sub. If everything checks out then I would suspect the sub is bad.
Yep, my vote is loose/cold solder joints. With your handy multimeter, your final resistance reading should be 1ohm. If it’s not, then you know there’s a prob. If it is 1ohm, make sure the seal is tight around the sub and the enclosure. When I first installed mine, I got cute and ringed the sub with double-sided install tape. It must’ve been too thick because I got no bass whatsoever (air escaping). After I removed the tape and just screwed the sub down without anything in between, the bass was instantly back. Good luck.

Reactions: EVortex
Yep, my vote is loose/cold solder joints. With your handy multimeter, your final resistance reading should be 1ohm. If it’s not, then you know there’s a prob. If it is 1ohm, make sure the seal is tight around the sub and the enclosure. When I first installed mine, I got cute and ringed the sub with double-sided install tape. It must’ve been too thick because I got no bass whatsoever (air escaping). After I removed the tape and just screwed the sub down without anything in between, the bass was instantly back. Good luck.

Excellent suggestions. I also filled the stock screw holes with silicone. Seems silly, but every little thing affects the sound and resonance.

Reactions: Doanster1

Did you "break in" the sub? I know when I initially installed mine I did not get a lot of bass from the back. Once I started to play a sweeping rang video found on youtube I'm finding the bass response to be more noticeable after just a few hours of "break in". I did not stuff my enclosure with fill and I only used hot glue to seal up the existing holes.