Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renault-Nissan News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With a mere 100 mile range and being a brand that is not sold in the US, I don't see the Renault as a competitor to the model S. Now the Infiniti car may be a serious contender, but of course we'll have to wait and see what its specs end up being. Hope Tesla can get their next car on the road soon enough so they don't get passed by in the industry they helped spawn.

Well, the Leaf also has "a mere 100 mile range", yet many people have been saying it's a threat to the Model S. At least the Fluence is a saloon/sedan.

There is a whole wide world outside the US. I think the Fluence is a bigger threat to the low end of the Model S range in Europe and Asia than the Leaf is to the Model S in the US, particularly if it gets a good head start.

22500hd9a8acd78.jpg

I'm not sure why Nissan is not offering this car instead of Leaf. This has a much more mainstream appearence. One common complaint I've seen with Leaf is that it is "ugly".

I agree that it would make sense for Nissan to use this as well as the Leaf, but they earlier said they wanted a distinct styling for their EVs and the Fluency is OK to nice but not very distinct.

I agree with Dpeilow that the Fluency might threaten the Model S in Europe. For someone like me that wants a decent sized car with good specs the Fluency is a lot cheaper than the Model S but probably also a bit earlier than the Model S. It's the same way that the Ford Mondeo is eating up BMW 5 series sales. For those that can't really afford a BMW, a Mondeo with decent equipment list might be a good substitute. It's obviously not the same car class really, but it's a good drivers car and more "sensible" pricewise than the BMW.

Cobos

Last edited:
Renault Fluence Z.E Driven

4 stars

Price: £19,000 (plus £85 a month for battery)
Powertrain: 95bhp electric motor
Battery: 20kW/h lithium-ion
Torque: 260Nm
0-62mph: 9.0 seconds (est)
Top speed: 84mph
Charge time: 6-8 hours (mains)
Range: 100 miles
CO2: 64g/km (EU electricity mix)
Equipment: Air-con, electric windows, part-leather upholstery, battery monitor, 17-inch alloys
On sale: 2012

the real-world range is only 100 miles – with 
a charge from a household plug taking six-eight hours, long trips are out of the question. But Renault is working hard to establish an infrastructure of high-voltage charging points that should offer 20-minute top-ups and, looking further into the future, instantaneous battery swap stations. With that in place, the Fluence will be a worthy flagship for an electric Renault range that will include the Zoe, Twizy and Kangoo. If it can also deliver on its impressively low target price, it’s certain to be a roaring success.

EVEN though it’s being called a prototype, the Fluence is essentially a finished product – and it’s a very polished package. Performance is strong thanks to the plentiful torque output, and it handles well, although the harsh suspension needs tweaking. A limited range appears to be the only downside – and that won’t put off early adopters attracted by a price that undercuts Nissan’s Leaf by some margin. But for it to be a real success, a nationwide charging infrastructure is needed.

car_photo_375631_25.jpg

car_photo_375628_25.jpg

car_photo_375625_25.jpg

I'm #2 on the list for this car, so hopefully a test drive isn't too far away.

Last edited:
First Fluence off the production line:

ENVU-fluence-ZE-1023x767.jpg

Greetings from Bursa

The very first Fluence Z.E. just came out from the production lines of Bursa’s plant and they’re doing pretty well
icon_smile.gif

Our team worked hard for the production of the vehicle, which requires a very specific technological care. The Fluence Z.E. will actually be the first electric vehicle using the Quick Drop technology. Did you know that the final assemblage of the battery requires a specific adjustment to enable the Quick Drop of the battery in only 3 minutes?

Can you imagine the emotion of Renault’s engineers when they proudly heard the engine – silently – start, the first time for a Fluence Z.E.?

However, these craftsmen of tomorrow’s mobility took some time to take a picture to give you a little souvenir.