Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renault-Nissan News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plug in America askes that we all go to Nissan's Countdown (5 days to Aug 1st) site and fill out their brief survey. Be sure to click on the questionnaire at the bottom and fill that out, too. It only takes about one minute. Where it asks you to say how you heard of their EV, please tell them Plug In America.

You can sign up to have them send you info on the car after it's debut this coming weekend.

Electric Cars from Nissan - Nissan USA

nissan-ev-teaser.jpg

Renault's all-electric show stars | Auto Express News | News | Auto Express

car_photo_322084_7.jpg

Prepare yourself for a shock! Renault is set to be crowned the king of electric cars when it unveils an entire family of EVs at the IAA Frankfurt Motor Show, Auto Express has learned.

The French firm’s show stand will make history – as the first from a mainstream car maker to only feature battery-powered cars. The company is set to take the covers off an unprecedented four never-seen-before electric concepts

Renault has its sights set on becoming the world leader in electric vehicle technology. And heading the line-up is a new supermini-sized offering. Designed from the ground up to be fitted with a compact lithium-ion battery pack and high-performance motor, it’s the first in a new wave of purpose-built electric cars, rather than a retro fit to a combustion-engined model.

Sharing a platform with Nissan’s Leaf EV will keep the price down, while packaging tricks such as placing the battery pack under the floor will maximise interior space.

Also bursting on to the scene at Frankfurt will be a city car concept, a prototype of which is shown here in our exclusive spy shot. It will go head to head with Toyota’s upcoming electric variant of the iQ and the Smart EV.

The electric motors will range from 50kW to 100kW, or 70bhp to 140bhp in more conventional terms. That means acceleration should be comparable to a 1.6-litre hatchback, delivering 0-60mph in around ten seconds. More intriguing, though, is Renault’s claim that the top speed of each electric car sold will be specific to the country in which it’s registered. UK cars, for example, will be capped electronically at 70mph.

Depending on the weight of your right foot and whether you call the air-conditioning into action, the range on a full charge for all these models should be in the region of 60 to 110 miles.

Bold statement.

But there is the usual caveat with concepts. Unless all of these cars rely heavily on modularity we are only likely to see one reach production.

Which is still better than none, of course.

Frankfurt 2009: Renault's all-electric four-car attack includes Twizy, the quirkiest car of the IAA — Autoblog Green

I can't really see the "Twizy" doing much to dispel the myth that EVs are odd-mobiles, but they may have a hit on their hands with the Fluence.

The third all-new´concept at Frankfurt, Fluence Z.E. Concept, is a statement of Renault's intent to produce a range of zero-emission vehicles that meets the needs of all types of motorists. A genuine four-door family car with attractive styling, comfort and space, it proves that such features can go hand in hand with respect for the environment.

Fluence Z.E. Concept is an all-electric car with a range of 100 miles. The battery can be charged using one of three methods: a standard charge (between four and eight hours), a quick charge (20 minutes) or an immediate solution (three minutes) which takes the form of the exclusive 'Quickdrop' rapid battery exchange system. The saloon concept previews the forthcoming electric version of Fluence and represents a solution to zero-emission motoring in the world of tomorrow.

Lose the green bits under the doors and maybe bump up the range and I can see the orders rolling in.

Last edited:
I can't really see the "Twizy" doing much to dispel the myth that EVs are odd-mobiles, but they may have a hit on their hands with the Fluence.

Wonder if the Venturi people are moonlighting?
150909-c-ren-_thumbnail.jpg

venturi-electric_69.jpg

Here's an interesting twist. My wife was just in US mainland resort town where she met someone who is a Zap, GEM, Zenn dealer. They sell to hotels for tourists to drive around town in without the need for a rental car. Turns out no one wants the carts that look like real cars, They all want something weird to have fun in, like those mini hummer things and GEMs.

I'd say we here have no problem seeing the distinction, but other consumers, notsomuch.

Strange. I was told by senior Better Place staff that they specifically are not getting the sexy Fluence concept, as they want a humdrum normal sedan that blends into the crowd - therefore they will get the vehicle based on the production ICE car.

Clearly no one told the marketing dept :confused:

Renault will build Twizy EV in Spain — Autoblog Green

Well, I didn't expect it would be that...

Renault partners with Atomic Energy Commission to build batteries in France — Autoblog Green

Renault partnering with L'OreÌ￾al on Zoe Z.E electric spa concept [w/VIDEO] — Autoblog Green

I was told that the ZOE concept will just emerge as an electric Megane. If it does, I think that will be a good thing as last week I had a brand new Megane diesel hire/rental car and was extremely impressed with the build and handling. Certainly the best Renault I have driven (I've owned two in the past) and far better than the new Laguna diesel I drove last month.

RenaultMeganeIII.jpg