Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rental version of FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a long trip coming up. I rented FSD for my 2021 MS Plaid several months ago and found it to be...uhh...not very good and not worth the price. This is a question about FSD version numbers. If I ordered FSD again, rental basis for one month, which version am I going to get? Thanks for any help.

You get whatever regular FSD version that is the current software version of the car, which is just basically Enhanced Autopilot with traffic light and stop sign control. Which is not going to be much if any difference compared to when you tried it last since they don’t seem to be making any major changes or improvement to non-beta Autopilot.

You’re probably thinking of FSD beta which is something different than FSD. FSB beta has its own software branch which is usually behind the regular software version so subscribing to FSD for just a month will not likely allow beta enrollment because the car software newer will be newer than the FSD beta version. But it all doesn’t matter anyway because beta enrollment has been paused due to the recall so no one new can get beta currently.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
There are some additional features in FSD (non beta version) but that stack has been around since 2016ish IIRC. When you subscribe you get the same FSD that folks who purchased outright get.

Now FSD beta is an opt in. Once you request it should update on the next check for updates provided you aren't on a newer software version than FSD build.

Lastly, FSD beta has been halted due to the NHTSA recall meaning they aren't letting any additional users opt in. The current speculation is that FSD 11.3 (not yet widely released at time of writing) will address all the issues in the NHTSA recall and they will open it up again to new users. Have to wait and see on this.

My current recommendation is folks that want auto lane change and navigate on autopilot features just purchase EAP. It's $6,000 and includes a lot of FSD features.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
You get whatever regular FSD version that is the current software version of the car, which is just basically Enhanced Autopilot with traffic light and stop sign control. Which is not going to be much if any difference compared to when you tried it last since they don’t seem to be making any major changes or improvement to non-beta Autopilot.

You’re probably thinking of FSD beta which is something different than FSD. FSB beta has its own software branch which is usually behind the regular software version so subscribing to FSD for just a month will not likely allow beta enrollment because the car software newer will be newer than the FSD beta version. But it all doesn’t matter anyway because beta enrollment has been paused due to the recall so no one new can get beta currently.
Thank you!

There are some additional features in FSD (non beta version) but that stack has been around since 2016ish IIRC. When you subscribe you get the same FSD that folks who purchased outright get.

Now FSD beta is an opt in. Once you request it should update on the next check for updates provided you aren't on a newer software version than FSD build.

Lastly, FSD beta has been halted due to the NHTSA recall meaning they aren't letting any additional users opt in. The current speculation is that FSD 11.3 (not yet widely released at time of writing) will address all the issues in the NHTSA recall and they will open it up again to new users. Have to wait and see on this.

My current recommendation is folks that want auto lane change and navigate on autopilot features just purchase EAP. It's $6,000 and includes a lot of FSD features.
Oh to he...heck with it. I'll just use basic AP. Thank you!

Reactions: 240vPlug