Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rental whilst waiting recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am growing increasingly convinced that a combination of lease company (as company car) and Tesla will conspire to mean I don’t get a March delivery and will then be stuck waiting to June. If I am going to wait I will likely need a car for at least some of that time (not helped by lack of reliable info and hence risk of committing to 3 month short term lease etc).

One option is just to rent as and when needed and/or look into a car club. Alternative is a 3 month or month to month rental, however looking online these seem very expensive and are making me consider just cancelling it all off and going back to a private lease of an ICE (currently have an s90 which is pretty cheap to lease and a nice car and I could likely find one from stock but would the be into a 2-3 year ICE lease).

given I’m sure others have been in this situation therefore any recommendations for renting a half decent car for 1-3 months at a sensible cost (given what I pay for the Volvo / what I will pay for the Tesla then ideally £500 a month or less)?

Buy a diesel sh!t box for a couple of £K and sell it in 3 months for very little loss or give it a wash and a hoover and sell for a profit. Save what you would have spent hiring, for a set of winter wheels for the Tesla.

Agree with this and have always done similar when in between cars for some reason.

Currently have a ‘61 plate Mondeo estate which I’ll now be selling in couple of weeks as my M3 is here and out of detailer next Fri.

Bought it precisely as a cheap runner when I needed one, had it about 6 months and will sell for what I bought it for, minus an MOT I had put on it.

Cheapest way around your prob if you’re not too fussed what you’re seen in

Thanks both the thought had crossed my mind. Been a while since I’ve bought something secondhand and at that sort of price point, you tending to buy via autotrader? Ebay?

I actually bought this one off a friend so I know the provenance, but have used auto trader and gumtree as well.

Just depends how much you want to lay out really, and look for the usual service history, long MOT etc

Reactions: awaghorn
I considered something similar. However once I included insurance, tax and breakdown etc. Not to mention the price of ‘peace of mind’ we went for a hire car. Albeit only a 28 day hire (hopefully). We opted for the cheapest option, Hyundai i10 or similar, and ended up getting a Ford Focus estate for no extra cost. I think it came to just over £400 in the end.

You can get a run around for less than £500 per month. Is a few months of an average car worth it for the Tesla? Down to you?!