Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repair advice: TPMS Needs Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple days ago I started getting TPMS needs service. It was intermittent at first, but the error is now permanently displayed as soon as I press the brake to turn the car on. It's not practical for me to wait for an appointment with the SvC since it will probably be several weeks for the first available appt. and also I'm road tripping after Xmas. I've tried rebooting and I've also performed a TPMS reset.

Is there anything I can do to clear the error message? Disable the TPMS all together, perhaps?

Where can I locate the TPMS receiver module on a classic Model S?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 213
A couple days ago I started getting TPMS needs service. It was intermittent at first, but the error is now permanently displayed as soon as I press the brake to turn the car on. It's not practical for me to wait for an appointment with the SvC since it will probably be several weeks for the first available appt. and also I'm road tripping after Xmas. I've tried rebooting and I've also performed a TPMS reset.

Is there anything I can do to clear the error message? Disable the TPMS all together, perhaps?

Where can I locate the TPMS receiver module on a classic Model S?

It's most likely that the battery(s) in the sensor in one wheel has died. It's probably best to just replace all the batteries. Any tire shop should be able to do this.

I reset the TPMS a second time through the controls screen and that's seemed to keep it happy for today at least. Most likely just a faulty sensor, so I'll have service take a look when it's convenient.

Generally, I think it's great that alerts appear when issues arise. I really dislike fault suppression. However, in this case it would have been nice to have a "Dismiss message" option that would conceal it for a set amount of time.

@apacheguy: How many miles do you have on the original TPMS sensors? Mine started failing around 50k miles.

I asked to get the TPMS disabled at the SvC but they couldn't since there is some sort of silly federal regulation staying all cars need that system now.

Are you going to upgrade to the new TPMS sensors and antenna? I declined

Does anyone know if a generic tire shop can determine which wheel has the bad TPMS sensor, or will they have to replace all 4? This is for a classic model s that doesn't display the individual air pressure for each tire...I have aftermarket wheels and tires so I don't think Tesla will work on them.