Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repair Cost Out Of Main

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KarenRei

ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ
Jul 18, 2017
Iceland
Latest FUD:

Another Tesla Model 3 Repair Story: This Is What $36,000 Of Damage (So Far) Looks Like - The Fast Lane Car

Guy gets into an accident that looks like this:

Tesla-repair-story-web-1024x580.jpg

Body shop disassembles the entire bloody car on a rented Celette fixture and tries to charge him / his insurance $36k. They basically did this to it (photo not of a Tesla):

IMG_51051452806004.jpg

They also inform him that the price went up because:

On June 13 — the latest update Josh hears the frame rails have shifted on his Tesla Model 3. The left frame rail moved up 8 millimeters and to the left by 6 millimeters. The right frame rail shifted up 7 millimeters.

These are frame rails:

33MRAIL-2.jpg

They're a key part of the construction of all body-on-frame cars. You mount a body onto them.

hqdefault.jpg

Model 3 is not a body-on-frame car. It's monocoque. The body is not mounted to a frame; it is the frame.

Tesla-Model-3-structures_front.png

There are no frame rails because there is no frame.

I have to wonder - did the body shop also charge him for replacing the blinker fluid? ;)

Last edited:
Latest FUD:

Another Tesla Model 3 Repair Story: This Is What $36,000 Of Damage (So Far) Looks Like - The Fast Lane Car

Body shop disassembles the entire bloody car on a rented Celette fixture and tries to charge him / his insurance $36k. They basically did this to it (photo not of a Tesla):

IMG_51051452806004.jpg

On June 13 — the latest update Josh hears the frame rails have shifted on his Tesla Model 3. The left frame rail moved up 8 millimeters and to the left by 6 millimeters. The right frame rail shifted up 7 millimeters.

Facepalm-statue-300x300.jpg

These are frame rails:

33MRAIL-2.jpg

They're a key part of the construction of all body-on-frame cars. You mount a body onto them.

hqdefault.jpg

Model 3 is not a body-on-frame car. It's monocoque. The body is not mounted to a frame; it is the frame.

I have to wonder - did the body shop also charge him for replacing the blinker fluid? ;)
Tesla Certified Shops are all scammers. They try to charge $19k for a $4-6k job. The actual official Tesla Body Shop is way more reasonable

Unibodies - including the Model 3 - absolutely have structures that are commonly referred to as frame rails, although they're integrated into the monocoque, and they're usually not anywhere near straight. I don't deny that this body shop is absolutely milking the insurance company for everything they've got, but the use of the term "frame rails" isn't necessarily BS, and it doesn't mean that there isn't deformation of the rear structure.

In this case, I've circled the structures involved:

upload_2019-6-20_9-4-33.png

Unibodies - including the Model 3 - absolutely have structures that are commonly referred to as frame rails, although they're integrated into the monocoque, and they're usually not anywhere near straight. I don't deny that this body shop is absolutely milking the insurance company for everything they've got, but the use of the term "frame rails" isn't necessarily BS, and it doesn't mean that there isn't deformation of the rear structure.

View attachment 421219

I stand corrected then. :) I've only ever heard the term "frame rails" being used in connection with the frame of a body-on-frame vehicles.

Note that what you circled doesn't appear to be one piece. One part (silver) is alumium, the other (yellow) is high-strength steel. Unless you're trying to circle only the alumium, and it "slots into" the steel (although I'd be surprised if that were the case, due to galvanic corrosion issues). Alumium structures like that at the front and end are often specifically intended for crash absorption.

Last edited:
Latest FUD:

IMG_51051452806004.jpg

These are frame rails:

33MRAIL-2.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

There are no frame rails because there is no frame.

Karen, thanks for countering the FUD in the comment section!

View attachment 421219
If it is the same body shop that repaired TFL's Model 3, then I am still suspicious. In the previous video, they broke the rear and the front roof glass while trying to "remove" them. The reason given for removing the rear roof glass was "something to do with the wiring" to fix a dented bumper, boot and quarter panel :rolleyes:

upload_2019-6-20_23-19-41.png

Fast Lane cars “good friend” Anton is mentioned in this story. My belief is this is a “plan to fail” video. The car was damaged by backing into their garage, apparently at a fairly high speed, very suspicious, but very click worthy. You can’t be a hero if you don’t have a villain.

Fast Lane cars “good friend” Anton is mentioned in this story. My belief is this is a “plan to fail” video. The car was damaged by backing into their garage, apparently at a fairly high speed, very suspicious, but very click worthy. You can’t be a hero if you don’t have a villain.

They never showed the footage of the crash. Model 3 has the rear view camera on display when backing up and unless it was intentional, there is no way he could have not seen the entrance. They are not at a new and an unfamiliar place. It is their working garage. I believe they are trying to passively discourage people from buying the Model 3.

Reactions: StealthP3D
They never showed the footage of the crash. Model 3 has the rear view camera on display when backing up and unless it was intentional, there is no way he could have not seen the entrance. They are not at a new and an unfamiliar place. It is their working garage. I believe they are trying to passively discourage people from buying the Model 3.

Actually, there is a video of the crash. When I saw it, before the body shop video, my first thought that it was an intentional backing into of a concrete block garage opening. It was all so fake. They even chose to back into the driver's side which is the one place you might be looking if not monitoring the backup camera.

Blatant fiction being passed off as an honest crash. You would have to be an idiot to believe they are being honest here. I could write pages about these scumbags but it's not worth my time. It's disgusting what some people will do for money.

I stand corrected then. :) I've only ever heard the term "frame rails" being used in connection with the frame of a body-on-frame vehicles.

Note that what you circled doesn't appear to be one piece. One part (silver) is alumium, the other (yellow) is high-strength steel. Unless you're trying to circle only the alumium, and it "slots into" the steel (although I'd be surprised if that were the case, due to galvanic corrosion issues). Alumium structures like that at the front and end are often specifically intended for crash absorption.
I'm circling based on the shape rather than the individual components, but yes, in practice, the different parts do have different functions.

I would suspect that the aluminum part is what would be bent, as it is, as you say, part of the crash structure. In a body-on-frame vehicle it would be considered a frame horn, I believe, and that term also gets used for unibodies as it serves the same function (but as it's rail-like, it also gets called a frame rail).

Reactions: KarenRei