Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes. still have the car, my post yesterday was a ruse

Son of a ......

5ab0ce3a3dc4805c5e98c23aae6c8e7d.jpg

Nice job on the trolling, I'm happy to see you're still at this. Great resilience! Much wow! Such trickery!

So is your P85 a "true donor" car in that it was free? or how much did it cost to win that auction?

I would be inclined to throw the P85 parts into the flood damaged car, yeah it's labor intensive, but from what I have seen in your pictures of the flood salvaged one you have much less to be concerned about in terms of mechanical integrity... Unless the frame has significant corrosion I did not see elsewhere.

I would transfer everything into the flood car chassis. It's not that hard, I've done it. The donor car seems like it's going to need structural repairs that you likely can't do yourself, and then body stuff, and then paint. That's more $. Whereas you can do all the transfer yourself and spend no more $.

It takes me about a half hour to get a pack out and about an hour to put it back in. About an hour for the DU in or out. The wiring harnesses will probably take the better part of a day, and the interior a full day. But if you worked on it full time, you'd have it fully done in under a week.

One of the big deciders for me would be the stuff I can't do in-house. Also if the A/C system was compromised, that's a big PITA. (And this needs to be fixed 100% perfectly if you ever want to have Supercharging working properly!)
Same with the Glycol system and all those fragile plastic bits on the front. Rebuilding the front of the car takes over a day in itself. And don't forget you'll probably need a new windshield. It's really difficult to pull one out of a car intact and re-use it.

The only thing I see wrong with your flood car chassis is the debonded floor pan. Since the pan is supported by the pack, all you have to do is re-glue it right before you install the pack and it'll be fine.

Nice job on the trolling, I'm happy to see you're still at this. Great resilience! Much wow! Such trickery!

So is your P85 a "true donor" car in that it was free? or how much did it cost to win that auction?

I would be inclined to throw the P85 parts into the flood damaged car, yeah it's labor intensive, but from what I have seen in your pictures of the flood salvaged one you have much less to be concerned about in terms of mechanical integrity... Unless the frame has significant corrosion I did not see elsewhere.

FREE P85? Much optimism, maximum wow.

The car came up for auction and it had a BUY IT NOW option, It has standard wheels and someone ripped off the "P" next to the P85 so people didn't really know it was a P85 (that and it has no keys so I'm going to need to do lots of praying). I looked up the VIN and sure enough, it had the "performance motor". The bidding got up to 13k so I decided to end the madness and just buy it now. Price of the car was under 15k <----- WOW.

Says the electrical engineer with extensive experience fixing Teslas and an IQ of 170

^^^ This guy is crazy, but he is also right, any sort of body work or structural repairs sucks. I had my fair share of dealing with them on a Tesla. While they are hard, they are possible.

But if you decide to swap shells, you will learn an extensive amount. I bet any parts you might be missing will be readily available. I hear of some people trying to make electric junk yards. :D Sounds like a dream