Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, not me. I have a reputation to uphold. Mods already gave me 5 'demerits'. (although I haven't read them)

Ad - Subaru-web.jpg

Success is having a running Tesla that I can drive to Quantum's house.

I think you are setting your sights too low (hard to believe given this whole thread, I know)....

Success should be measured by making your repaired Model S amphibious ready, and "driving" it too my house in the UK. First solo crossing of the Atlantic in a Model S has got to be worth serious forum kudos :D

On a serious note, congrats on your efforts, I'm enjoying reading / seeing all the tear down.

UPDATE

Still alive and kickin!!! Here is why I have not updated the thread recently

1) Last weekend was Valentines day and I've been a bad boy so I couldn't disappear to work on the car for hours on end,
2) Its been about 5 below zero in the northeast so my wife wants her car in the warm garage.... problem is that my wife's car can't be in the garage when I'm trying to work on the pack, I need room to slide the pack out from underneath the car and take the cover off so with her car in the way I can't really do that

While I was hanging around one night I decided to disassemble the center console... welp. Judging by the weight of the console I swore that there was an aux blower motor in there and boy was I wrong. The center console in the model S is unnecessarily heavy and overengineered. I spent a long time taking the whole thing apart for basically nothing, I'll take pics of the 10000 pieces that it comes in.

Before I continue, can I get a show of hands of people who do not think I can finish this project successfully? Curious to see whats going through everyone's mind.

No offense, but I don't see how you're going to get it working without spending a crapload on repair parts (replacing almost everything to the point of just buying a new vehicle) directly from tesla or from other salvage vehicles and even then I have doubts that tesla will enable things remotely for it to work if that makes sense aka supercharging , wireless, updates, nav, etc.

UPDATE

Still alive and kickin!!! Here is why I have not updated the thread recently

1) Last weekend was Valentines day and I've been a bad boy so I couldn't disappear to work on the car for hours on end,
2) Its been about 5 below zero in the northeast so my wife wants her car in the warm garage.... problem is that my wife's car can't be in the garage when I'm trying to work on the pack, I need room to slide the pack out from underneath the car and take the cover off so with her car in the way I can't really do that

While I was hanging around one night I decided to disassemble the center console... welp. Judging by the weight of the console I swore that there was an aux blower motor in there and boy was I wrong. The center console in the model S is unnecessarily heavy and overengineered. I spent a long time taking the whole thing apart for basically nothing, I'll take pics of the 10000 pieces that it comes in.

Can't wait to see what's in there (computers, power supplies, ducts?), but also think it has to be really, really strong to support the weight of someone sitting on it, or so I'd guess.

Do please let us know!

I give you absolute credit for trying. Your success may be tied to Tesla which makes it difficult. Due to your determination, I'm giving you a 60% changes and my most entertaining thread. Wish you were closer as it would be interesting to personally watch your progress. Good luck!

No offense, but I don't see how you're going to get it working without spending a crapload on repair parts (replacing almost everything to the point of just buying a new vehicle) directly from tesla or from other salvage vehicles and even then I have doubts that tesla will enable things remotely for it to work if that makes sense aka supercharging , wireless, updates, nav, etc.

It's a project. He has other cars and he has the luxury of waiting for parts to come to him cheap either in the form of a cheap parts car or stuff being listed on car-part.com or eBay. As a money making proposition this would suck but without time constraints and considering that he seems to be enjoying the journey, I think it's entirely possible that this car pops back to life in some form or fashion for a reasonable amount of money.

Yeah, that whole centre console is among the worst designs of any console I've seen before. Most consoles of that size would include storage in them, but not the Tesla one.

Before I continue, can I get a show of hands of people who do not think I can finish this project successfully? Curious to see whats going through everyone's mind.

I think that if you were more careful/cautious with your approach in dis-assembly that you'd have a greater chance of pulling this off. Your reckless approach is rapidly deteriorating the chance of success without ending up costing you more than a CPO would have cost in parts alone. As an example, you're an IT guy and should know better than to power up wet electronics and yet you did it anyway...

It's great that you're learning a lot about the car, and sharing the educational experience with us, but unless you start getting serious about proper dis-assembly... I'm kind of disappointed in your efforts thus far, while entertaining as they may be.

I think that if you were more careful/cautious with your approach in dis-assembly that you'd have a greater chance of pulling this off. Your reckless approach is rapidly deteriorating the chance of success without ending up costing you more than a CPO would have cost in parts alone. As an example, you're an IT guy and should know better than to power up wet electronics and yet you did it anyway...

It's great that you're learning a lot about the car, and sharing the educational experience with us, but unless you start getting serious about proper dis-assembly... I'm kind of disappointed in your efforts thus far, while entertaining as they may be.

"Reckless", get "serious", "disappointed". Sheesh! What a buzzkill. I'm embarrassed for you.

oh heavens, thank goodness you are here then!! Why don't you post a link to your Tesla kickstarter here so you can get it funded and show me how its done?

[chuckling intensifies]

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE

This is what a regular center console looks like. Its 3 pieces. The plastic vent for rear occupants is integrated in the unit and non removable. It has 2 cupholders and lots of storage for coins and 12v power

rsvxiwt.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the low resolution, but this is a Tesla center console, it weighs 3x a regular console, little/no storage and it has 15+ pieces

Nhg3Tyo.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This cupholder mysteriously weighs what feels like 7 pounds

SYuJmvF.jpg

qKLgyHE.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

air vent tube

dqh6FHG.jpg

now this is the structure that gets me, it probably weighs 10lbs by itself. It forms the frame of the center console and it can support probably north of 300lbs

B2CCae8.jpg

center console itself

BDUVKp9.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

closeup of the 794 mounting holes

KrhaOcL.jpg

UHrOb7n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Shots of the USB port connectors in the center console

Still would like to know exactly what this circular component does, I also found one near the chargers and drive unit

tu5A9QO.jpg

cuFsHXy.jpg

GlbOXfd.jpg

sKN3WL5.jpg

oh heavens, thank goodness you are here then!! Why don't you post a link to your Tesla kickstarter here so you can get it funded and show me how its done?

[chuckling intensifies]

- - - Updated - - -

Still would like to know exactly what this circular component does, I also found one near the chargers and drive unit

tu5A9QO.jpg

cuFsHXy.jpg

I saw this question answered elsewhere - they are antennas for the key fob.

Yes, those circular devices are LF antennas for the RFID part of the keyfobs. They can detect a key with no battery if you put the fob right on the antenna, also they trigger the fob to respond on 315mhz so the car knows the key is present.

Yes, those circular devices are LF antennas for the RFID part of the keyfobs. They can detect a key with no battery if you put the fob right on the antenna, also they trigger the fob to respond on 315mhz so the car knows the key is present.

Thats what I had assumed. Its the location of the one under the rear seat on top of the drive unit that threw me off. I figured there would be one in the pillar at the rear, I do however understand the front location.