Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find Elon's tweet interesting: Elon Musk on Twitter
"Drive units and battery are sealed"

I though there was a breather hole on top of the motor, as mentioned many times on this thread.

It seems quite clear from the experiences in this thread and a couple others that the early Model S has vent holes in the top on both.

It seems unlikely to me that Elon would make a mistake in this sort of matter and push it out to the whole world.

At this point, my guess is that at some point after 2013 Tesla changed the design to fully seal those components.

What is the purpose of this vent? How much air goes through it? Does a GoreTex plug have the necessary capacity for this use? What temperatures can it handle?

My *assumption* is that these vents exist for the same purpose as vents on most other electronics and mechanical assemblies - to equalize the pressure inside the box with outside so that changes in temperature and altitude don't apply loads to the seals.

If that is the case, the flow through these vents should be very minimal, just enough to keep up with environment changes.

Well done, but, closer to a half ton of work ;)

giphy.gif

Reactions: KyleDay
UPDATE

Welp, as you may have noticed my updates have slowed down to a crawl, mostly because I'm so busy with other things AS MY INSTAGRAM FOLLOWERS WOULD KNOW but I digress, a few local people have reached out to me for assistance with their Teslas and I've been so busy selling off parts and meeting up with other potential Tesla owners to give them advice on things I havent really had the chance to work on my own.......

Anyway.... I got the shell on the trailer by backing the trailer right up to the car on jackstands, then using a winch to drag it onto the bed.

of course i'm making it sound far FAR easier than it actually was, but it was still refreshing to get the shell out of the tow yard, getting it onto the trailer was the easy part, getting it off will be the challenge, plus... where is it going to go? wife says no freaking way is that thing going to the house and she isn't losing her garage space sooooooooo......

jMhkPo3.gif

Reactions: hiroshiy
UPDATE

Welp, as you may have noticed my updates have slowed down to a crawl, mostly because I'm so busy with other things AS MY INSTAGRAM FOLLOWERS WOULD KNOW but I digress, a few local people have reached out to me for assistance with their Teslas and I've been so busy selling off parts and meeting up with other potential Tesla owners to give them advice on things I havent really had the chance to work on my own.......

Anyway.... I got the shell on the trailer by backing the trailer right up to the car on jackstands, then using a winch to drag it onto the bed.

of course i'm making it sound far FAR easier than it actually was, but it was still refreshing to get the shell out of the tow yard, getting it onto the trailer was the easy part, getting it off will be the challenge, plus... where is it going to go? wife says no freaking way is that thing going to the house and she isn't losing her garage space sooooooooo......

jMhkPo3.gif

I thought the shell was sold and went away 2 weeks ago from the post pic on Instagram?