Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Btr_ftw: Are you doing any extra soundproofing now that everything is stripped down anyway? Beware that this car is in desperate need for that. I am planning to do that to mine. I have a 2014 P85, and the road and wind noise is very noticeable. For the last couple of weeks I have been driving a 2016 P90DL, and the improvement in soundproofing is remarkable. Both cars are running on the same 21" rims and tires.

Btr_ftw: Are you doing any extra soundproofing now that everything is stripped down anyway? Beware that this car is in desperate need for that. I am planning to do that to mine. I have a 2014 P85, and the road and wind noise is very noticeable. For the last couple of weeks I have been driving a 2016 P90DL, and the improvement in soundproofing is remarkable. Both cars are running on the same 21" rims and tires.

Where are you planning on doing the soundproofing?

I can do the floorboards and ABC pillars easily not sure where else the pesky areas are

I'm in the pre-planning phase... but areas of sound proofing I have read about are from memory:
- Wheel arches
- Frunk
- Doors
- "Wall" between front area and passenger cabin
- Trunk area

The fact that you have it all stripped down enables you to do a much more thorough job. When it comes to the floor I have read somewhere that the battery is a quite efficient sound barrier. Maybe if you soundproof the frame around the edges of where the battery sits, and not the whole floor?

I am sure that there are others on here that have better sound proofing advice than me. Everything I know I have read on a Norwegian forum for EV's, with lots of Tesla owners modifying their cars. Link for anyone that can read Norwegian: (Støydemping av TMS - oppskrift og erfaring.)

• Informative
Reactions: Red Sage and Karab
Btr_ftw: since you are so intimately familiar with the salty guts of the S, I was wondering if you would be gracious enough to give a ponder to this trivial mystery that has presented itself to me.

Substance anomaly under front passenger seat

I'm hoping your massive mental rolodex of S knowledge, built on pain, dedication, and insanity, can help rule out or in the possible origin of this bizarre substance that has been driving me completely mad for the last 24 hours.

Btr_ftw: since you are so intimately familiar with the salty guts of the S, I was wondering if you would be gracious enough to give a ponder to this trivial mystery that has presented itself to me.

Substance anomaly under front passenger seat

I'm hoping your massive mental rolodex of S knowledge, built on pain, dedication, and insanity, can help rule out or in the possible origin of this bizarre substance that has been driving me completely mad for the last 24 hours.

Do you still have the substance?

Can you throw it in an envelope and send me a sample?

UPDATE.... EPIC POST AHEAD...

so yeah, ummm. I dont feel like replacing all of the wiring to see if the car works or not.

Here is an over simplified version what I replaced so far

all interior wiring (left and right harnesses, dash harness)
all rear high voltage wiring (chargers , battery, drive unit)
HVJB (high voltage junction box)
replaced 1 charger with dual chargers
curtain airbags
air suspension controller

Here is what I have to do still

install new seats
install new carpeting
replace DC/DC converter
install all interior plastics
install door panels
INSTALL THE DAMN BATTERY
INSTALL THE DAMN DRIVE UNIT
SANITY CHECK

Well, I gave the car some 12v juice and here is what happened...

HOUSTON THE CAR IS DOIN STUFF....

And, here is my alltime favorite video, of something so useless that I've must have done about 788 times.

Guys, I just realized something... I MIGHT actually get this thing to work...

here are some pics as I was installing the MCU

RxSj6GS.jpg

and BAMMM

MPMMQlt.jpg

s4jhUf2.jpg

by the way here is what is not working on the car

HORN DOESNT WORK
WINDOW CONTROLS DONT WORK
SUNROOF DOESNT WORK
HVAC DOESNT WORK
NO SOUND THROUGH SPEAKERS
COOLANT PUMPS DO NOT OPERATE
WINDSHIELD WIPERS DO NOT WORK
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DOES NOT WORK
CHARGE PORT DOOR WILL NOT OPEN..

OFF TO A GREAT START!

here are some pics as I was installing the MCU

RxSj6GS.jpg

and BAMMM

MPMMQlt.jpg

s4jhUf2.jpg

by the way here is what is not working on the car

HORN DOESNT WORK
WINDOW CONTROLS DONT WORK
SUNROOF DOESNT WORK
HVAC DOESNT WORK
NO SOUND THROUGH SPEAKERS
COOLANT PUMPS DO NOT OPERATE
WINDSHIELD WIPERS DO NOT WORK
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DOES NOT WORK
CHARGE PORT DOOR WILL NOT OPEN..

OFF TO A GREAT START!
If you look carefully, you will see that your car needs service.

QUESTION

so while poking around under the hood of the car I took off the front wheels and decided to spin the front radiator fans
welp, I heard a loud grinding noise, meaning salt has penetrated the motors and they are likey junkarooney.

I saved the good fans from the wrecked white p85 and was going to swap them in, the housings of the fans were wrecked
but the fan blades are good, any thoughts on how to get the fan off now that I've removed the retaining clip? do they just tap out from here or is there a special tool needed?

DdExsey.jpg

with pin removed

NdlTI1R.jpg

QUESTION

so while poking around under the hood of the car I took off the front wheels and decided to spin the front radiator fans
welp, I heard a loud grinding noise, meaning salt has penetrated the motors and they are likey junkarooney.

I saved the good fans from the wrecked white p85 and was going to swap them in, the housings of the fans were wrecked
but the fan blades are good, any thoughts on how to get the fan off now that I've removed the retaining clip? do they just tap out from here or is there a special tool needed?

DdExsey.jpg

with pin removed

NdlTI1R.jpg

With the clip they had there, my bet would be that it's a keyed slot, no tooling needed (but now corroded together, may need a mallet or something.)