Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing small paint chip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed a small paint chip in the back of rear liftgate. It's pretty small and I just want to touch it up to prevent any rust. Is t he touch up paint from the Tesla shop pretty much the best I can get or are there other solutions you guys recommend? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_5943.jpg
    IMG_5943.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 540
The Tesla paint chip repair kit is pretty nice. They include everything including a little squeegee to remove excess paint from around the repair. You’ll never make it look like new with touch up paint but I have had better luck with the Tesla kit than any I have used.

Reactions: Notadog
Also:

DrColorChip.com

TouchupDirect.com

They have short instructional videos that show how to perform the touchup.

The hatch is aluminum, won't rust. You can cover the spot with regular automotive wax until it is warm enough to use the touchup kit.
I ordered the paint kit and tried following the instructions. It didn't look that good so I wiped it off. :(

Attachments

• Tesla Lift Gate Damage IMG_9287.JPG
    Tesla Lift Gate Damage IMG_9287.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 284
I noticed a small paint chip in the back of rear liftgate. It's pretty small and I just want to touch it up to prevent any rust. Is t he touch up paint from the Tesla shop pretty much the best I can get or are there other solutions you guys recommend? Thanks.
I also have the PPW color and the Tesla eom paint touch up kit is garbage. It’s essentially the consistency of 2% milk and completely wipes away when you use the blending solution. I had much better results with dr color chip, but it’s certainly not a close match. It’s much brighter than the eom color. It’s impossible though to get an exact match because Tesla uses a tinted final coat that significantly darkens white paint.

When repairing a small paint chip if you are not satisfied with the way the repair looks you can easily wet sand the area and start over, even use a different touch up paint. Unless you are extremely lucky with the paint match and have good technique (takes lots of experience and practice) the repair will be visible under close up inspection. Once fully dry, polished and waxed a good paint repair should be invisible to all but the most discerning eye from 4 or 5 feet away.

Did anyone have experience with Tesla correcting paint chips or scratches? I got some scratch and chips from delivery day and they Will correct it for free, but I am concerned how well they actually correct things. Color is blue

Put a bumper sticker over it and call it a day. Touch up paint is never going to match.

I just got back from a road trip and noticed several chips on my hood. It's going to look like a rally car with all the stickers!

Actually, I just got the Tesla kit. I can see aluminum and have to try something.
I would wait until the outside temperature is warmer. Aluminum won't rust the way steel does. Until then apply some car wax to the chipped area.

Reactions: Noflash
Did anyone have experience with Tesla correcting paint chips or scratches? I got some scratch and chips from delivery day and they Will correct it for free, but I am concerned how well they actually correct things. Color is blue
Tesla refused to repair my rear lift gate paint chip but referred me to Branning Automotive that did the touch up at no charge.Tesla Lift Gate Damage IMG_9533.JPG

Attachments

• Tesla Branning Automotive Group IMG_9535.JPG
    Tesla Branning Automotive Group IMG_9535.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Tesla Lift Gate Repair IMG_9534.JPG
    Tesla Lift Gate Repair IMG_9534.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 181
Reactions: Noflash
I just got back from a road trip and noticed several chips on my hood. It's going to look like a rally car with all the stickers!

Actually, I just got the Tesla kit. I can see aluminum and have to try something.
I was just kidding mate, the Tesla paint is very thin, so I just decide to get ppf - most expensive option for me at the time vs chips are not my worries it’s the jealous vandals who hate Tesla vehicles.