Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repeated TPMS failures on a 2.0 Roadster with 44k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Markwj, I do not know how to easily check the GSM signal. Is that status indicated on the VDS Stats?

Attachments

• 20180720_VDSstats.jpg
    20180720_VDSstats.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 81
I can't remember exactly where, and don't have access to the car at the moment, but definitely remember the GSM status and signal being shown on one of those DIAG screens.

Okay, I searched around and found on the "FW Versions" screen, the last three lines down at the bottom of the report may be related. I see a value for ICCID, IMEI, and the last line (in red text) is "Offline" sometimes followed by "2dbm".

I have had quite a time trying to actually get the TPMS service scheduled, a number of calls to them with none of the promised calls returned. Now finally I do have an appointment for next week, and they said no remote diagnosis is possible for TPMS.
The folks who answer the phone call to Tesla service (redirected to a call center with folks who are happy to try and help but repeatedly failed to (probably are not actually able to do so). I got nowhere until they transfered me to an actual service center, which took over a week of my escalating complaints. Probably no remote telemetry remains active for the old Roadsters like you said. I wonder how hard it would be to upgrade the car to turn that back on.

Okay, I searched around and found on the "FW Versions" screen, the last three lines down at the bottom of the report may be related. I see a value for ICCID, IMEI, and the last line (in red text) is "Offline" sometimes followed by "2dbm".

Yep. That's it. "Offline" pretty much sums it up.

I wonder how hard it would be to upgrade the car to turn that back on.

Not going to happen, IMHO. They would need to change the modem module to a 3G/4G version. Nobody is going to do that for a discontinued model like the roadster (especially when the manufacturer is paying for the data, not the customer).

Yep. That's it. "Offline" pretty much sums it up.

Not going to happen, IMHO. They would need to change the modem module to a 3G/4G version. Nobody is going to do that for a discontinued model like the roadster (especially when the manufacturer is paying for the data, not the customer).

How about a low power (in garage) DIY 2G base station setup to let the car use the legacy technology it has, patched to home internet access? Seems possible.

Build Your Own GSM Base Station For Fun And Profit

The mothership term is a nice abbreviation for the concept of a factory-side telemetry data collection server.

Speaking generally about the concept, is there reason to think they created a new and different mothership for all the ongoing newer Tesla models' telemetry, thus recreating the wheel, instead of building upon what already existed since they began doing this with the Roadster? Seems it could easily be the same "Tesla mothership" that is running, and having newer model support added as years go on.

For gregd's question, does a SIM "know" whether it has an account or not? Seems like it would try to activate a network connection, and then either succeed or fail, no?

The "DIY" "cell network" station might not require actual commercial cell infrastructure to validate against would it? If the telemetry to the mothership is over the Internet cloud and that access is provided by a home Internet service, then that would be zero cost to Tesla.

Hi driver_EV,

Why not try the new OVMS3 that Markwj has been working on for a long time?
You are in an area that should have GSM coverage and then you could check your Roadster
similar to the way you are able to check your Model S with the Tesla app.

For $150 or $160 it is a real bargain...

I got mine a month ago and I really like it...

Markwj is working on a new harness to allow us access to the CAN bus.

Shawn

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak and ICON
Hi driver_EV,

Why not try the new OVMS3 that Markwj has been working on for a long time?
You are in an area that should have GSM coverage and then you could check your Roadster
similar to the way you are able to check your Model S with the Tesla app.

For $150 or $160 it is a real bargain...

I got mine a month ago and I really like it...

Markwj is working on a new harness to allow us access to the CAN bus.

Shawn

Hi ShawnA,

I have the OVMS3 installed for a couple of months now. It is terrific. I was able to get it connecting to my home wifi when the car is parked at home, and I turn on tethering with my Pixel phone while driving, so there is little use of Hologram data most of the time, but when I am away from home the monitoring is generally still available. :)

It works faster than the Tesla App service on my Model S.

I was on the Ver1 OVMS when it was created, but with the technical problems on my Roadster, I removed it until I had time to get the Roadster bugs figured out and improved.

If there were a way to get diagnostic telemetry support back to Tesla through OVMS, that would probably be ideal. Until something like that happens, I am at least thinking about any alternative that could work and be practical.

Thanks once again to Markwj, you, and everyone who works and shares what they learn and do!

Last edited:
BTW: on the OVMS app I can see occasional updates for what seems to be the front two tire sensors (different pressure and temps grey text) so it is giving data reports that the car fails to give. The rear tires seem to have no updates, only showing 0.0psi and 32 degrees F for both.

I had a local tire shop check my tire sensors and got the numbers from his tool display. He says all four wheels tire sensors are working.

Hi driver_EV,

From your description you may only need the antennas to be programmed.
Each antenna stores all 4 addresses, so if one antenna has them all you are good to go.
Unfortunately, showing grey text usually means stale data, but with the rear tires showing
zero and 32, it is likely both of your antennas are scrambled.
So a quick reprogram could do it...
Most of the TPMS diagnostic tools will also show the battery levels of the sensors.
Too low a voltage means they are on the way out.

When your service is complete, for future hacking attempts you will need to know
all 4 of the addresses and the tire position the address belongs to.

Good luck - Too bad you are so far from a Service Center - I am also far from one.

Shawn

Reactions: driver_EV
I have returned from the service trip and TPMS is operational again. There is a pc and software requirement for their procedure to work on the system. It required time to download and setup, is unfortunately not a tool or system that is standing by that would be ready to provide a quick and effective operation.

I had the car there for about 5 hours, they replaced the rear tpms antenna and got it working again. Hopefully it will last longer this time than it did last time. Quite a pleasure to not have the nagging message every time I drive, and OVMS operation is nice as it should be with tire data populated.

They say there is no change or improvement to the TPMS, it is the same as it was, and no information on availability of a more durable fix or upgrade will be coming at any time.

They said the same regarding telemetry. No information, no indication of how to repair or enable it again. I did eventually get an indication that it was essentially a decision to discontinue that system, a decision made by Tesla. No word of a method or option for owners to enable telemetry, no indication that it is not possible for a Roadster owner to do that. They just did not seem to know.

Hi driver_EV,

Warning: You might need to check with @markwj to see about the level of your
OVMS3 and the harness for it.
The time you ordered was about the time Mark added some internal wiring for the
K-line support. There is also a new harness necessary for the K-line support.
It is labeled OVT1 and it has all of the wires for the K-line and the multiple CAN buses.
It will be better to get it all together, rather than a few back and forth orders to China...

When you receive and install the OVMS3 harness and the K-line kit,
I will be happy to help if you need it with the K-line and TPMS implementation...
I am well suited for the TPMS but @markwj is the expert for the OVMS3.

As a preparation step for the K-line add on module and activation of the system,
It would be beneficial if you could get the addresses and locations for the TPMS
sensors on your car now... You will be ready when the equipment arrives.

Good luck,

Shawn

Last edited:
Hi driver_EV,

Warning: You might need to check with @markwj to see about the level of your
OVMS3 and the harness for it.
The time you ordered was about the time Mark added some internal wiring for the
K-line support. There is also a new harness necessary for the K-line support.
It is labeled OVT1 and it has all of the wires for the K-line and the multiple CAN buses.
It will be better to get it all together, rather than a few back and forth orders to China...

When you receive and install the OVMS3 harness and the K-line kit,
I will be happy to help if you need it with the K-line and TPMS implementation...
I am well suited for the TPMS but @markwj is the expert for the OVMS3.

As a preparation step for the K-line add on module and activation of the system,
It would be beneficial if you could get the addresses and locations for the TPMS
sensors on your car now... You will be ready when the equipment arrives.

Good luck,

Shawn
Thanks for that suggestion.
I will have alook at the cable to verify, it may be out of date.

My TPMS is still working today, but with this update, I hope to be ready for any future issues.

Hi driver_EV,

If yours is working now you are in great shape to "save" your configuration
for future updates or cloning new sensors...

An update to my technical recommendations above...
The new harness labeled OVT1 in white tape works with the TPMS K-line add-on...
The dates of your purchase look close to or before the change.
An easy visual test of the harness if you cannot see the label is to look at the wires
on the connector to the Roadster - The new harness has nine (9) wires coming from the
car which fully populates the DB9 connector...

The second test of your module to see if it has the internal jumper for the TPMS K-line add-on
is to check for continuity between DB9 pin 1 to DA26 connector pin 21.
You may use a paper clip as a temporary "pin" to check continuity on DB26 pin 21.
If there is no continuity between these pins - The internal jumper needs to be added...

Just trying to avoid the grief of having to order twice.
Forewarned is forearmed...

Shawn

Reactions: driver_EV