Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replace headlights in metro boston?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a recommendation to get headlights replaced in the greater Boston area?

Sounds like it’s crazy expensive at the dealer. From watching YouTube videos, it looks like a medium effort half hour job, but only if you have the tools and space. I don’t. And don’t trust myself to not screw something else up with all the things I have to take off.

Anyone ever have them replaced anywhere but the dealer?

You didn't mention for which model, but if it's for the Model S, it's mostly the cost of the new headlight, over $1000 each last I checked. I bought a used one from ebay for $175. You basically drop the bumper cover to get access and after that, it's just 4 or 5 screws on the headlight assembly.

Reactions: RAW84
You didn't mention for which model, but if it's for the Model S, it's mostly the cost of the new headlight, over $1000 each last I checked. I bought a used one from ebay for $175. You basically drop the bumper cover to get access and after that, it's just 4 or 5 screws on the headlight assembly.
Re-alignment? I don't know, honestly asking.

The headlight assembly mounts to the body with a fixed alignment. There is a screw adjustment on the headlight assembly itself for adjusting just the height. There is a procedure online on what the height of the beam should be adjusted to, which can be done on any wall.

I should note that this is for the LED headlight, not the older projector ones.

Yes Model S. 2014. P85D. So not LED headlight.

Also should specify, I’m just trying to replace the bulb.

I saw a video on YouTube…

Maybe I could do it, maybe I’d screw something up in the process, so I’d rather just pay someone. But $1k to replace blown bulbs seems exorbitant.

Ok, the $1k headlight was for the LED version. No idea what the cost of the projector headlight replacement bulb is. Why not just get a quote fro Tesla to see what it's going to cost?

Because this thread is asking for non-Tesla service center recommendations. I know Tesla will do it, but in the likely event it’s $1k+ (from what I’ve read elsewhere online) I want to have some other options.

Because this thread is asking for non-Tesla service center recommendations. I know Tesla will do it, but in the likely event it’s $1k+ (from what I’ve read elsewhere online) I want to have some other options.
Xenon D3S bulbs are commodity HW. This isn't a $1000 repair, even with Tesla's price gouging. I can see them charging $1000 to replace a sealed LED unit, maybe.

Call Tesla or Electrified Garage (post #2) for a quote, or DIY. There's no way Tesla is going to charge more than $100 for the part and 1hr of labor, max, to change a bulb.

Reactions: kayak1 and RAW84
Xenon D3S bulbs are commodity HW. This isn't a $1000 repair, even with Tesla's price gouging. I can see them charging $1000 to replace a sealed LED unit, maybe.

Just received a quote for $3,400 from Tesla.

It does include replacing the entire assembly ($1,540 ea). Plus $63 ea for the bulbs and $126 for labor. Tesla claims that “most of the times it is a wiring concern and needs whole headlamp” replacement.

I’ve left a message with Electrified Garage to get their take.

Last edited:
And I just got off with Electrified Garage…they’re talking ~$800 just to replace the bulb. He wasn’t sure if they’d need to replace the ballast too, but seemed to doubt I’d need to replace the whole assembly. Said the first gen headlights were more reliable and typically only need replacement when the LED parking lamps start to go.

Now I’m in a conundrum do I pay Electrified Garage $800 to simply replace the bulb (despite what I’ve seen about replacing it from the wheel well in the vid above, they claim they need to take the bumper off because it’s “easier”)? Running the risk that the assembly would need to be replaced if that doesn’t work.

Or do I chance it with Tesla just doing the bulb, knowing that they plan to replace assemblies on all headlight replacements? It feels like Tesla would prefer for that to happen and may try to replace the assembly even if not really needed

Last edited:
So wait, Tesla plans to charge you $126 for labor to change the entire assembly, which presumably requires removing the bumper cover, while Electrified Garage plans to charge you $800 (presumably mostly labor) to replace the bulb, which also involves removing the bumper cover? Someone's labor charges is off...

Seems to me you should just get a buddy who is reasonably handy to replace the bulb for you via the wheel well...

Why not start cheap, and just replace the bulb and see if it fixes things?
If that doesn’t fix it, then maybe you’ll need the ballast as well.
I don’t see a reason to replace the whole assembly/housing, unless there’s some integrated circuitry that may have fried or shorted something else.

Reactions: 3mp_kwh
Just received a quote for $3,400 from Tesla.

It does include replacing the entire assembly ($1,540 ea). Plus $63 ea for the bulbs and $126 for labor. Tesla claims that “most of the times it is a wiring concern and needs whole headlamp” replacement.

I’ve left a message with Electrified Garage to get their take.
That's nuts. If I still lived in MA I'd offer to do it for a 6 pack...

• Love
Reactions: RAW84
So wait, Tesla plans to charge you $126 for labor to change the entire assembly, which presumably requires removing the bumper cover, while Electrified Garage plans to charge you $800 (presumably mostly labor) to replace the bulb, which also involves removing the bumper cover? Someone's labor charges is off...

Seems to me you should just get a buddy who is reasonably handy to replace the bulb for you via the wheel well...

For clarity, that’s what the first quote says. I responded that I’m not committing to $3,400. They responded:

“I understand, we will adjust the quote please note if the bulls dont fix the concern you would still be liable for the repairs.”

I’m still waiting on that adjusted quote…

And I may be projecting, but something about that seems threatening, which is what has me hesitant on doing it through Tesla even if it is fairly priced.

For clarity, that’s what the first quote says. I responded that I’m not committing to $3,400. They responded:

“I understand, we will adjust the quote please note if the bulls dont fix the concern you would still be liable for the repairs.”
Tesla has always preferred to quote the full amount of what MAY be charged, just so you are not surprised. I presume that if they requoted you just to change the bulb, and you agreed and sent it in, and that didn't fix the problem, then they would come back to you to approve the amount for the replacement unit. But they like to have everything approved up front so they don't have to do that.

As another affected, having seen "malfunction" warnings eventually apply to both sides, before (yikes) both lights went out together one recent night, I ordered/installed Osram D3S bulbs ($100pr) hoping the projectors would fix. They didn't, in my case. Well, at least the intermittent left error hasn't come back, but the flickering right keeps doing so. It sounds like circuit failures can be in the light housing. Electrified Garage estimated half the above, including a frunk sensor issue.

Really, just hoping for a diag and don't believe the Service Centers mean you're committed to repair with them, when they say "liable". OT, but a frunk error similarly doesn't seem to be the part. Others report hood latch wiring (or harness) grounding out. Also, I have other intermittency with low-coolant warnings and an unresponsive blinker. The latch works, the bulbs work (probably right side as well), the coolant reservoir has been topped, and the blinker still works 90% of the time, but all four issues don't seem to be hardware related,

Great longevity out of the EV & its parts, but bedeviled when things go. Headlamp units are cheap enough on Ebay that you could probably get 3-5 bad ones, and still be well ahead.

As another affected, having seen "malfunction" warnings eventually apply to both sides, before (yikes) both lights went out together one recent night, I ordered/installed Osram D3S bulbs ($100pr) hoping the projectors would fix. They didn't, in my case. Well, at least the intermittent left error hasn't come back, but the flickering right keeps doing so. It sounds like circuit failures can be in the light housing. Electrified Garage estimated half the above, including a frunk sensor issue.

Really, just hoping for a diag and don't believe the Service Centers mean you're committed to repair with them, when they say "liable". OT, but a frunk error similarly doesn't seem to be the part. Others report hood latch wiring (or harness) grounding out. Also, I have other intermittency with low-coolant warnings and an unresponsive blinker. The latch works, the bulbs work (probably right side as well), the coolant reservoir has been topped, and the blinker still works 90% of the time, but all four issues don't seem to be hardware related,

Great longevity out of the EV & its parts, but bedeviled when things go. Headlamp units are cheap enough on Ebay that you could probably get 3-5 bad ones, and still be well ahead.
Check your ground studs (assuming this is an older S)?