Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replace rear view mirror with Gentex Homelink Autodimming one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got our MYLR and would prefer not to hang the garage door opener from the sun visor (or buy the Homelink adapter or pay for Homelink membership). When we bought our 2017 Chevy Volt, it also lacked Homelink so I removed the OEM dimming rear view mirror and hardwired in a Gentex one with built-in Homelink - I just spliced into the +12V wire and was good to go.

I am wondering if anyone has done the same on a MY. I like the larger mirror size and integrated Homelink but wasn't sure if the OEM Tesla mirror had a weird mount or if that mirror somehow controls the outside mirrors with regard to dimming (something I didn't have to worry about on the Volt).

Thanks for any comments.

You could also consider using the built-in MyQ option. I added a MYQ adapter (~$30 on Amazon) and linked to the new model Y. It was much less expensive than Homelink and it adds many features. i.e., Because MYQ knows the door's state (open/close) no more spontaneous closures, also it is convenient that I can operate the door or check the status using the phone app. I like the convenience of the optional Amazon garage delivery too (but some users don't seem to want it). All in all the MyQ system works well and I think is superior to Homelink.

MyQ is the one with a subscription. I have the homelink installed - one time cost for the parts and labor; mobile tech came out and installed it. He programmed it as well. I have a Chamberlain garage door opener; I've never paid another cent.

Reactions: Mrdrbot23
You could also consider using the built-in MyQ option. I added a MYQ adapter (~$30 on Amazon) and linked to the new model Y. It was much less expensive than Homelink and it adds many features. i.e., Because MYQ knows the door's state (open/close) no more spontaneous closures, also it is convenient that I can operate the door or check the status using the phone app. I like the convenience of the optional Amazon garage delivery too (but some users don't seem to want it). All in all the MyQ system works well and I think is superior to Homelink.
My garage is MyQ enabled, and I have the app, but I don't want to pull out a phone each time. I did velcro my current opener behind the mirror, but would still like a bigger mirror w/Homelink buttons.

Thanks for the reply.

MyQ is the one with a subscription. I have the homelink installed - one time cost for the parts and labor; mobile tech came out and installed it. He programmed it as well. I have a Chamberlain garage door opener; I've never paid another cent.
Yeah. I heard about $250 total parts and labor, or you can try and find a used one on eBay for about $175 and DIY.

But I have the mirror already (can pull it out of my Volt) so the cost would be zero.

It might be easier to replace your sunvisor with a sunvisor that has integrated homelink. Replacing the mirror is going to be a pain in the ass, especially since the Tesla mirror has a camera in it... I looked at the Tesla mirror, the mounting is completely different from gentex. I know gentex well, because I did a gentex swap on a couple cars. Replace your sunvisor, run the wiring under the headliner... And probably need to replace the plastic peg with a metal one, since the Tesla sunvisor is magnetic.

Reactions: FMinMI
It might be easier to replace your sunvisor with a sunvisor that has integrated homelink. Replacing the mirror is going to be a pain in the ass, especially since the Tesla mirror has a camera in it... I looked at the Tesla mirror, the mounting is completely different from gentex. I know gentex well, because I did a gentex swap on a couple cars. Replace your sunvisor, run the wiring under the headliner... And probably need to replace the plastic peg with a metal one, since the Tesla sunvisor is magnetic.
The camera is in the housing, not the mirror, so I don't believe that would be an issue but yes, if the mount is way different, there might not be a way to secure it. As for the sun visor, that too could be complicated, although there is a light in it so power is available (but maybe only 5V). It's wanting that bigger mirror (and already having it) that is keeping me from looking into using one of these other solutions right now. Do you have a picture of the Tesla mount?

Thanks for the info and suggestions!

Yeah. I heard about $250 total parts and labor, or you can try and find a used one on eBay for about $175 and DIY.

Tesla charges $350 for the module and labor to install it. I hear you can just buy the parts from Tesla directly for ~$250 and install it yourself.

For what it's worth, I found a brand new one (module + bracket) on eBay for $182 shipped. Had to get the bolt separately ($4 for a pack of 4 from local auto parts store) and it took me about 30 minutes to install going slowly and carefully.

With it installed, I set my Y to automatically open my garage door when I'm 40ft away from the house, which it does reliably. I know it seems like a small thing but I really like not having a separate remote for the garage door. After 17 years with my last car without HomeLink and using a remote, this small convenience is totally worth it to me.

Even if you can get another mirror mounted, it won’t work. Tesla is weird in that the “auto dimming” mirror is not very auto dimming. It just dims to one preset amount based on time of day and GPS position instead of using a light sensor in the mirror to control variable dimming.

Meaning there is no constant 12V power to the mirror in order to power the homelink buttons. The computer only sends 12V to the mirror when it decides it should be dimmed.

Even if you can get another mirror mounted, it won’t work. Tesla is weird in that the “auto dimming” mirror is not very auto dimming. It just dims to one preset amount based on time of day and GPS position instead of using a light sensor in the mirror to control variable dimming.

Meaning there is no constant 12V power to the mirror in order to power the homelink buttons. The computer only sends 12V to the mirror when it decides it should be dimmed.
Ahhh. OK. Rats...

Thanks.

Which is a weird decision since there's literally a light sensor on the front camera housing.

Reactions: FMinMI and E90alex
Yep and you get complaints that people can’t see out of the mirrors at night because they are constantly dimmed regardless of the amount of light behind the car.
Now that is interesting as my wife (whos car it is) said its so dark using the mirror (I showed her how to put the rear camera on the screen). I thought for sure it would dim and brighten based on if there are bright lights behind, just like with the side view mirrors. Or do they ALL dim based on time/GPS? This might be a new reason to figure out a way to put the Gentex mirror up there, even if I need to run a 12V wire up there. How stupid...

Ahhh. OK. Rats...

Thanks.
First, I have a lead acid 12V and don’t know how the new lithium low voltage battery works.

Second, I have a Autovox T9 rearview mirror camera installed in my 2020 Y.
I was able to install it over the factory Tesla ball and run my power cable through it.
You can also remove the Tesla arm and connect to the base. Look up an old i1tesla video on the install of the same t9 camera mirror.

Do you need always on power for that mirror or is switched power good enough?
I get my switched power to the 12V access port (caigarette lighter as they used to call it)in the centre armrest. It shuts off when the car is off, but you’re not in the car, so it doesn’t matter.
Only issue would be if it relies on that to retain the memory.

Now that is interesting as my wife (whos car it is) said its so dark using the mirror (I showed her how to put the rear camera on the screen). I thought for sure it would dim and brighten based on if there are bright lights behind, just like with the side view mirrors. Or do they ALL dim based on time/GPS? This might be a new reason to figure out a way to put the Gentex mirror up there, even if I need to run a 12V wire up there. How stupid...
All three mirrors permanently dim to the same amount after sunset. They should un-dim in reverse and you can turn off dimming completely in the settings, but the dimming doesn’t vary depending on glare like it should.