Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replace side mirror glass myself?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife was having too much fun with our S75D yesterday and sideswiped a garbage can. The passenger side mirror housing itself is fine (still folds in and out, etc.), but the mirror glass was shattered.

I was able to easily remove the damaged piece by simply unplugging three wires on the back. I assume putting in the replacement part is as simple as connecting the wires and somehow attaching it back to the housing.

The SC has quoted me $130 for the mirror and $175 labor to install it. I think they'll sell me the part without installation (I asked and they said I *should* get it installed by them, but it sounded like I didn't have to).

Question - anyone replaced this part before? If so, any tips on how to reattach the mirror itself to the housing?

Thanks

Hrm, I should have really looked at the mirror and housing before I posted this. It looks dead easy - the mirror piece appears to just clip on to the adjustable plastic mounting inside. It looks like ~45 seconds of labor.

Now on to the next challenge - will Tesla sell me the part without installation?

Hi Dckiwi,
I cracked my side mirror today. It closed harshly when I entered my garage not knowing it was hitting the door.
I called Tesla service in Vancouver, Canada. They said I have to order the whole part for $600, not just the mirror. It's working in all directions. how did you get it replaced for such a low price? Did you get it from Tesla or a autoshop? My vehicle is Model X.

@Elsafar - my repair was done by the local Tesla SC. They certainly can (and did) replace just the glass part. Mine was a Model S - so it's possible that they can't do it on a Model X?
I had the same encounter about a week ago but I was told that I had to replace the entire side mirror, just the glass was not possible. The three parts were: the mirror assembly, the harness and the skull cap (which alone is $107).
Did you really get just the mirror?
Mine is a classic 85 with tech package (heated and electrochromatic)

I whacked my pass side mirror on a bridge brace, it flipped back, hit the window, shattered mirror. My Tesla SC replaced it for price of mirror.
I don't see why you can't buy it alone uninstalled. Yes, it snaps onto the base in about 5 seconds. It sounds like you have the understanding and ability to do the job.

I had the same encounter about a week ago but I was told that I had to replace the entire side mirror, just the glass was not possible. The three parts were: the mirror assembly, the harness and the skull cap (which alone is $107).
Did you really get just the mirror?
Mine is a classic 85 with tech package (heated and electrochromatic)

Best thing I can do to help is to include a screenshot of the repair invoice. That way you can ask your SC about the specific part number.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 1.25.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 1.25.42 PM.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 792
  • Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike