Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replaced Damaged Chrome Rear Diffuser with...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week, I damaged my rear diffuser and it went out of place. :( So I went to the service center to pick up a diffuser. Then I remembered that I saw a black diffuser on a 70D when it came out. I managed to take a pic of it when I was charging at the Mothership (Fremont Charging Station) a while back. (Pic 1) Tesla told me that they assembled the diffuser on earlier MS models. :rolleyes: And you've guessed it, that's what I bought.

I'm a newbie at working on cars but I didn't want to pay for labor ($150+ or so per hour) so I said to myself, I'll take a stab at it. Worst case scenario, they can tow my car to the service center and I'll pay less because most likely, I would have disassembled they stuff that they needed to disassembled anyway. So I washed my car first (Pic 2) before I started working on it. I know, I'm weird like that.

Pic 3 is the one that broke. As you can see from Pic 4, you'll see the black diffuser and the out-of-place chrome diffuser. Pic 5, the chrome is now off (after 4 + hours of figuring out how to disassemble) Pic 6 was the most difficult part. This is where I almost called the service center to tow my car. The old diffuser was screwed to the plastic bumper and I only have a small clearance to unscrew it. Somehow, someway, I was able to unscrew it.

Pic 7: The finished product! I'm loving my new set up. It matches my chrome delete. :D

Pic 1:
FullSizeRender (5).jpg

Pic 2:
IMG_2472.jpg

Pic 3:
1.jpg

Pic 4:
2.jpg

Pic 5:
3.jpg

Pic 6:
4.jpg

Pic 7:
P85.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Vinc and benjiejr
@Ramon70D - if you look at Pic4, at both ends, there are two black pop up screws INSIDE. it's connected to the black plastic covers. you need to remove those two screws too and the center screw.

@WATTS-UP - Thanks. I was thinking about that. We'll see... ;)

Great job! I want to do the same for my 70D. The chrome diffuser came with pre-Autopilot tech packaged cars and Autopilot cars before the current refresh.

How much did they charge you for the black diffuser?

@AskDrTodd - there is a way to remove the gray plastic. it's screwed to the bumper. but you would have to remove the other plastic parts underneath to access it. if you have the tools and know-how, it'll be a piece of cake. the service center quoted me 2.5 hours of labor = $400. took me a day and a half to replace it since I'm a newbie.
Nice! I'd like to do the same thing. Is there a way to remove the whole grey piece that holds the diffuser and the red reflectors without having to remove the whole bumper?

@Defcon5 - Wheels are HREs.
Front: 21x9
Rear: 21x10
Tires Front: 245/35/21
Tires Rear: 285/30/21

Hope this helps.

What wheels are you running specs all the way around plus tires if you don't mind. Love the polished lip look so that's were I plan on going with mine. Thanks

@sickfox, so how many screws total to remove the rear diffuser? Also, once removed, did you have access to the inside of the plastic bumper (the metal parts)? Any pics by any chance? I need to install something inside the bumper and was curious whether this was a quicker way in.

I believe the black trimmed rear diffuser and the blacked out front air strakes (those horizontal parts in the lower front area near the fog lamps) are "standard" with those Model S ordered without the Premium Package. (once called Premium Interior). I do think that some aftermarket vendor also makes a carbon fibre diffuser but for the life of me I cannot recall who.

Love to see Model S owners whipping out the wrenches. You did good.

Wondering why the license plate frame as shown is in .... Chrome? :p

@whitex - I was going through my pictures and I think I've deleted them all unfortunately. From what I remember, I believe there were a total of 5 screws to remove the rear diffuser. BUT you would need remove the plastic fins to access the POP UP screw inside the diffuser and hard plastic cover in order for you to unscrew the middle one (Pic 6). I didn't remove the plastic cover so I didn't get to see the metal part of the bumper. (I'm a newbie) If you have experience with removing the plastic parts, then it'll be a piece of cake for you. Good luck!

screws.jpg

@sickfox, so how many screws total to remove the rear diffuser? Also, once removed, did you have access to the inside of the plastic bumper (the metal parts)? Any pics by any chance? I need to install something inside the bumper and was curious whether this was a quicker way in.

Last week, I damaged my rear diffuser and it went out of place. :( So I went to the service center to pick up a diffuser. Then I remembered that I saw a black diffuser on a 70D when it came out. I managed to take a pic of it when I was charging at the Mothership (Fremont Charging Station) a while back. (Pic 1) Tesla told me that they assembled the diffuser on earlier MS models. :rolleyes: And you've guessed it, that's what I bought.

I'm a newbie at working on cars but I didn't want to pay for labor ($150+ or so per hour) so I said to myself, I'll take a stab at it. Worst case scenario, they can tow my car to the service center and I'll pay less because most likely, I would have disassembled they stuff that they needed to disassembled anyway. So I washed my car first (Pic 2) before I started working on it. I know, I'm weird like that.

Pic 3 is the one that broke. As you can see from Pic 4, you'll see the black diffuser and the out-of-place chrome diffuser. Pic 5, the chrome is now off (after 4 + hours of figuring out how to disassemble) Pic 6 was the most difficult part. This is where I almost called the service center to tow my car. The old diffuser was screwed to the plastic bumper and I only have a small clearance to unscrew it. Somehow, someway, I was able to unscrew it.

Pic 7: The finished product! I'm loving my new set up. It matches my chrome delete. :D

Pic 1:
View attachment 174988

Pic 2:
View attachment 174989

Pic 3:
View attachment 174990

Pic 4:
View attachment 174991

Pic 5:
View attachment 174992

Pic 6:
View attachment 174993

Pic 7:
View attachment 174994

Pic 1:
View attachment 174988

Pic 2:
View attachment 174989

Pic 3:
View attachment 174990

Pic 4:
View attachment 174991

Pic 5:
View attachment 174992

Pic 6:
View attachment 174993

Pic 7:
View attachment 174994

@whitex - I was going through my pictures and I think I've deleted them all unfortunately. From what I remember, I believe there were a total of 5 screws to remove the rear diffuser. BUT you would need remove the plastic fins to access the POP UP screw inside the diffuser and hard plastic cover in order for you to unscrew the middle one (Pic 6). I didn't remove the plastic cover so I didn't get to see the metal part of the bumper. (I'm a newbie) If you have experience with removing the plastic parts, then it'll be a piece of cake for you. Good luck!

View attachment 184353

I am trying to replace my broken rear valance too. But after you put it in place, how could you put the pop up screws back in or you just out the 2 outside t30 screws? Thanks