Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replaced drivetrain on 14 S 85 and need assistance returning the vehicle from Salt Lake City to southern Wisconsin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla community, I would like any tips and assistance you could offer me in driving my vehicle, a 2014 S 85 with about 76k on the odometer, from the Tesla service center in Salt Lake City back to southern Wisconsin. Specifically, what might be optimal driving speeds for energy efficiency, lowest price, least wear on vehicle, and other metrics that could be maximized. My constraints are driving alone without any passengers or other drivers and starting one morning while arriving the next day in the evening. I would post my Bitcoin wallet address, but forum rules smell like banhammer would be the result of that due to classification as advertising--let me know your feedback on that.

Now, a bit more background...I purchased this vehicle last June from Tesla as a certified pre-owned vehicle, and after driving it from southern Wisconsin to Big Timber, Montana, I received multiple errors intermittently at first, then increasingly until the vehicle was bricked and Tesla towed it from Bozeman, MT to Salt Lake City, UT. I have a status of "Ready for Pickup" and an estimate showing a replacement drive unit is covered under warranty and complete. My conversation by phone with Tesla Service of SLC yielded info that certain parts, shear plates at the rear and suspension knuckle at right rear were so significantly corroded that they were also replaced under warranty, as I later see on the estimate.

I've been following Tesla since the S was codename Whitestar, and am still a $TSLA shareholder, but my confidence has been shaken. Given the background with my vehicle and your own knowledge and experience, what thoughts do you have? It was great to have tow service and rental arranged under warranty, but I'd like to avoid this in the future, including when my vehicle goes past its 8 yr warranty period before 100k miles in the near future.

Given your need to make the trip in under 36 hrs suggests that you use Superchargers that, while perhaps more costly than alternatives, will provide a quicker and more direct routing (to Monroe in So. Wisconsin). A Better Route Planner indicates about 20 hrs. driving time and at least 6:30 for charging. Doesn't leave a lot of time for rest/sleep but offers the trade off of directness, and assumes driving at the speed limit. You could reduce energy use (and wear?) at lower speed but might not make it in the time allowed. You could also pray for a following (W. to E.) wind.

On the one hand, if you’re going to do a long drive, maybe right after the car has been given a clean bill of health by the SC is the right time to do it? On the other hand if you’re concerned about wear etc you could consider having it shipped? I contemplated collecting mine from Seattle - it would have been a fantastic road trip if I could have cleared two weeks to do it in. But what with Covid and work, I decided to have it brought on a truck ... it should be arriving tomorrow morning ...

Not sure I understand the Bitcoin reference?

What wear are you concerned about? You're just driving on the highway. Rock chips? You can cover the front end in painter's tape, lots of folks do that on cars for road trips and track days to avoid rock chips. It's basically a temporary PPF.

20100504_1.jpg

Other than that, avoid deer and you'll be fine.

Given your need to make the trip in under 36 hrs suggests that you use Superchargers that, while perhaps more costly than alternatives, will provide a quicker and more direct routing (to Monroe in So. Wisconsin). A Better Route Planner indicates about 20 hrs. driving time and at least 6:30 for charging. Doesn't leave a lot of time for rest/sleep but offers the trade off of directness, and assumes driving at the speed limit. You could reduce energy use (and wear?) at lower speed but might not make it in the time allowed. You could also pray for a following (W. to E.) wind.
Thanks, yes I think Superchargers are overall the way to go for this interstate route. I have used the ABRP app with some success. Charging breaks and AP1.0 help immensely with fatigue.

On the one hand, if you’re going to do a long drive, maybe right after the car has been given a clean bill of health by the SC is the right time to do it? On the other hand if you’re concerned about wear etc you could consider having it shipped? I contemplated collecting mine from Seattle - it would have been a fantastic road trip if I could have cleared two weeks to do it in. But what with Covid and work, I decided to have it brought on a truck ... it should be arriving tomorrow morning ...

Not sure I understand the Bitcoin reference?
Good luck getting yours trucked back. I did consider that. The Bitcoin would be for donations and support for someone down on their luck.

What wear are you concerned about? You're just driving on the highway. Rock chips? You can cover the front end in painter's tape, lots of folks do that on cars for road trips and track days to avoid rock chips. It's basically a temporary PPF.

20100504_1.jpg

Other than that, avoid deer and you'll be fine.
Wow, that tape technique is new to me, and I would consider doing that if I get a new vehicle to prevent chips before any semi-permanent wrap could be applied. My current vehicle had swirl marks buffed out and some chips touched up, but probably not worth wrapping or taping. I'm mostly concerned about battery and motor failure or premature wear due to driving style such as charging too high to often, letting battery go down too low in estimated range too often, or excessive speed or acceleration. 99% of the time I drive conservatively and defensively; generally with the flow of traffic.

Wow, that tape technique is new to me, and I would consider doing that if I get a new vehicle to prevent chips before any semi-permanent wrap could be applied. My current vehicle had swirl marks buffed out and some chips touched up, but probably not worth wrapping or taping. I'm mostly concerned about battery and motor failure or premature wear due to driving style such as charging too high to often, letting battery go down too low in estimated range too often, or excessive speed or acceleration. 99% of the time I drive conservatively and defensively; generally with the flow of traffic.

I gotcha. I wouldn't worry about killing the battery, you're not doing anything that hasn't been done a thousand times before in other vehicles. Remember, there are Teslas in rental fleets that get run from 100% to 2% charge and back up every single day, with over 400k miles. Just drive it, enjoy it, and don't hit a deer.