Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replaced tires on my 2022 MX Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I knew they were bad but didn't think they were this bad. Exactly 21500 miles at replacement. I have the 22's so no rotation but kept all tires at 42 psi and last rotated at 10K miles. These are the OEM Continental SportContact 6. I would NOT get these again.

52715453346_c0a91dbc16_c.jpg

52715931438_7d9c13edc1_c.jpg

52715931458_ca283b2dc7_c.jpg

Replaced them with Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06. I should get more than 21K miles on this set.

52715453096_5944523a7f_c.jpg

52715051812_15a2750af7_c.jpg

How much more noise would you say? Do you have active road noise reduction on? I turn mine off so I can compare.
Enough to notice it every time I drive. I do have ANC on but I don't notice a difference. I now have 250 miles on new tires and they produce a slight hum during highway driving. My old tires had the foam in them and these new ones don't. I'm surprised how much of a difference the foam makes.

Ive driven about 50 miles on the new tires and I immediately noticed the increased road noise. These new tires do not have the foam inside like the OEM Sportcontacts did. Ill report back once I put more miles on these tires.

I was curious how much louder non-foam vs foam would be in our 3 and honestly I can't tell the different over the other road noise.

Do you notice your rear doors and black plastic are peppered from rocks and chips? i have 13K miles and looks like a shotgun bird shot. I have a full body PPF and the clear PPF looks like a bunch of dots.

Yes and I noticed this a few days after I picked up the car from the shop. They ended up redoing the rear doors as a courtesy but 1 year later and there's dots all over.

FWIW the falken fk510 was noticably quieter than the latitude 3s I had before. I can highly recommend.

Good to know. Oh yeah different tires are going to sound different as well. I put on the Michelin PS all seasons to replace the foamy Pirellis. I put some junky Nittos on my X to replace the foam OEs as well and they were also quieter.

Enough to notice it every time I drive. I do have ANC on but I don't notice a difference. I now have 250 miles on new tires and they produce a slight hum during highway driving. My old tires had the foam in them and these new ones don't. I'm surprised how much of a difference the foam makes.
Hi @chudiddy,

So, I'm looking at needing to replace at least my rear tires on my 2022 Model X Plaid with the 22" wheels. Here's the weird thing. I have 12800 miles on my car and the front tires have plenty of tread on them. I can probably easily get to 20K+ miles. The rears are almost slicks now though. I'm flabbergasted. I have the OEM Continental SportContact 6's and was thinking about going with the DWS All Weather because here in the DC area snow and ice are definitely a concern.

I was worried about the road noise from the DWS's though because of their lack of foam. Now that you have had your tires for a while, would you make the same choice again? I don't want more road noise for sure. Is it annoying enough to avoid the tires without the noise reduction foam?

Anyone, else reading this have any insight? I'm debating between 2 x SportContact 6's for the rears or all 4 new DWS All Weathers.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi @chudiddy,

So, I'm looking at needing to replace at least my rear tires on my 2022 Model X Plaid with the 22" wheels. Here's the weird thing. I have 12800 miles on my car and the front tires have plenty of tread on them. I can probably easily get to 20K+ miles. The rears are almost slicks now though. I'm flabbergasted. I have the OEM Continental SportContact 6's and was thinking about going with the DWS All Weather because here in the DC area snow and ice are definitely a concern.

I was worried about the road noise from the DWS's though because of their lack of foam. Now that you have had your tires for a while, would you make the same choice again? I don't want more road noise for sure. Is it annoying enough to avoid the tires without the noise reduction foam?

Anyone, else reading this have any insight? I'm debating between 2 x SportContact 6's for the rears or all 4 new DWS All Weathers.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
I love the DWS06+ as I’ve run them on a few non-tesla owned vehicles but I won’t be getting them on my X (with 22’s) when the time comes due to noise complaints. I plan on getting the Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season tesla spec. These have pretty good reviews on this forum and way better tread rating over the stock summer continentals (500 vs 240).

I thought about the Michelin PS4 AS but they aren’t Tesla spec for our 22 inch size (no noise reduction), and I’ve read a few posts here complain about noise with them.

FWIW I also live in the DC/NOVA area.

Attachments

• IMG_0069.jpeg
    IMG_0069.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 37
I love the DWS06+ as I’ve run them on a few non-tesla owned vehicles but I won’t be getting them on my X (with 22’s) when the time comes due to noise complaints. I plan on getting the Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season tesla spec. These have pretty good reviews on this forum and way better tread rating over the stock summer continentals (500 vs 240).

I thought about the Michelin PS4 AS but they aren’t Tesla spec for our 22 inch size (no noise reduction), and I’ve read a few posts here complain about noise with them.

Skip the foam.

I did actually see the Pirelli's on Tire Rack and was considering those. I was going to read up in the forum to see what people thought of them. Yeah, I'm in NOVA as well and I'm getting a bit nervous about the weather turning and my tires being as bald as they are. Hmm..

I did actually see the Pirelli's on Tire Rack and was considering those. I was going to read up in the forum to see what people thought of them. Yeah, I'm in NOVA as well and I'm getting a bit nervous about the weather turning and my tires being as bald as they are. Hmm..
Lmk what you end up going with. I only have about 3,500 miles so will likely switch tires next fall.