Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Replacement frunk spring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered it from Prime-Line 7/16 in. Dia. x 1-7/8 in. L Extension Spring 2 pk, SP 9605 49793096050 | eBay
But delivery is making Tesla seem fast, so wouldn't recommend. Another thread had a more locally avaliable alternative that it might be worth searching out.
Those are the ones I bought as well off eBay. Ordered on 25 October and just got them delivered by Royal Mail on Monday. Got struts today from Amazon and my Frunk now opens fully when you hit the open button in car or on the phone app.

These are the struts I purchased from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XB6GM8Q/ref=cm_sw_r_em_tai_c_tvSWDbM62XJ1N

They seem overly strong for the task but are working. It is just not an elegant whoosh as they open with quite a gusto. Will see how long they last.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrew_SE23
frunk springs.PNG
IMG_1297.JPG

I've experimented with a few springs and have found one that works quite well. The frunk opens more quietly and can be closed with less force now. When I need to I'm happy to close the frunk with one hand. The frunk also always opens an inch intially like the factory spring - with weaker springs the frunk unlocks but is not strong enough to push the frunk up a bit.

1. Prime-Line Products SP 9605 Spring (ebay/amazon)
11mm x 48mm x 1.2mm

Bought this one based on earlier posts in this thread. Spring is far too weak, unlatches frunk but does not push frunk up.

2. Flexo Springs - MO 6012
| Flexo Springs
12mm x 60mm x 1.5mm Rate 1.67 N/mm

Tried this one, a little better but again spring not strong enough to push frunk up.

[Prime-Line Products SP 9610 Spring
12.1mm x 64mm x 1.6mm
Some people have said they have had success with this one but it's very similar to the #2 (MO 6012) spring I tried and found to be too weak.]

3. Flexo Springs - AM 3316
| Flexo Springs
9.5mm x 50.8mm x 1.42mm Rate 3.14 N/mm

This is the one I'm currently using. It's better than the factory spring but if I could find a spring that's just a tad weaker it would be ideal, ie, one that provides a little less resistance to close. Possibly this one might be the one:

Flexo Springs - MO 6010
| Flexo Springs
12mm x 50mm x 1.5mm Rate 2.24 N/mm

4. Tesla original frunk spring
Approx 14mm x 58mm x 2mm

The good thing about the Flexo Springs is that they have a ton of different springs and they will sell individual springs at low cost (unlike extortionate ebay/amazon prices for 1 or 2 springs). However they have a minimum £9 + VAT order value + £6 + VAT delivery charge - so highly uneconomical for 1 or 2 springs. I was able to pick up a few different springs from Flexo Springs and save on delivery cost.

Also worth noting, the intial distance the spring needs to hook onto is around 65mm and the extended length is around 85mm.

View attachment 483476 View attachment 483478

I've experimented with a few springs and have found one that works quite well. The frunk opens more quietly and can be closed with less force now. When I need to I'm happy to close the frunk with one hand. The frunk also always opens an inch intially like the factory spring - with weaker springs the frunk unlocks but is not strong enough to push the frunk up a bit.

1. Prime-Line Products SP 9605 Spring (ebay/amazon)
11mm x 48mm x 1.2mm

Bought this one based on earlier posts in this thread. Spring is far too weak, unlatches frunk but does not push frunk up.

2. Flexo Springs - MO 6012
| Flexo Springs
12mm x 60mm x 1.5mm Rate 1.67 N/mm

Tried this one, a little better but again spring not strong enough to push frunk up.

[Prime-Line Products SP 9610 Spring
12.1mm x 64mm x 1.6mm
Some people have said they have had success with this one but it's very similar to the #2 (MO 6012) spring I tried and found to be too weak.]

3. Flexo Springs - AM 3316
| Flexo Springs
9.5mm x 50.8mm x 1.42mm Rate 3.14 N/mm

This is the one I'm currently using. It's better than the factory spring but if I could find a spring that's just a tad weaker it would be ideal, ie, one that provides a little less resistance to close. Possibly this one might be the one:

Flexo Springs - MO 6010
| Flexo Springs
12mm x 50mm x 1.5mm Rate 2.24 N/mm

4. Tesla original frunk spring
Approx 14mm x 58mm x 2mm

The good thing about the Flexo Springs is that they have a ton of different springs and they will sell individual springs at low cost (unlike extortionate ebay/amazon prices for 1 or 2 springs). However they have a minimum £9 + VAT order value + £6 + VAT delivery charge - so highly uneconomical for 1 or 2 springs. I was able to pick up a few different springs from Flexo Springs and save on delivery cost.

Also worth noting, the intial distance the spring needs to hook onto is around 65mm and the extended length is around 85mm.

I bought the SP9605 one off eBay and agree with your assessment that it is too weak. I wanted to try the Flexo AM3316, but the website says minimum order subtotal has to be £9.00. I may buy a few extras just to hit the minimum...

I just ordered a couple from these guys...

11.1mm OD Tension Springs - Springs And Things

You select the wire diameter (I went with 1.8mm) and then specify the length you want (i went with 48mm, but only because that was the length I've seen other use). There isn't a minimum order and delivery, for me, was 99p.

I'm thinking the 1.8mm wire might be a tad too thick. I think it'll be an improvement on the factory spring but you may just find you need to apply a little more pressure than you would like to close the frunk.

I'm tempted to try: 12.7mm x 52mm x 1.6mm which should be a touch weaker than the one I currently have (Flexo Springs 9.5mm x 50.8mm x 1.42mm Rate 3.14 N/mm) - but difficult to compare as length, spring diameter, and wire diameter all affect tension

Last edited:
I bought the SP9605 one off eBay and agree with your assessment that it is too weak. I wanted to try the Flexo AM3316, but the website says minimum order subtotal has to be £9.00. I may buy a few extras just to hit the minimum...

I have the AM3316 - it's better than the factory spring but could do with being a tad weaker - so the frunk can be shut with a lighter touch.

I was thinking the following might be better than the AM3316

Flexo Springs - MO 6010 12mm x 50mm x 1.5mm Rate 2.24 N/mm

but yes, they have that £9+vat min charge (+ £6 + vat delivery).

I'm on the 9605 and it seems ok to me? Gentle open, easy close. In the cold the frunk doesn't pop high enough, but I can get a finger nail under it. I do have struts to fit, and the second spring if this one annoys too much, but it's been fine so far.

Ps, Tesla made a fuss about warranty when they noticed. Combined with the won't open problem a couple of people have reported that may scare some off. It's on them to show that a mod caused a problem tho, so it's really a how much do you want to argue rather than a real problem. They would have to show direct cause effect I think for you to lose any cover.

I'm on the 9605 and it seems ok to me? Gentle open, easy close. In the cold the frunk doesn't pop high enough, but I can get a finger nail under it. I do have struts to fit, and the second spring if this one annoys too much, but it's been fine so far.
The weak opening is my concern, particularly having read the other thread with a stuck frunk. While that may be a specific problem with the mechanism, I will accept some extra force needed to close the frunk (provided it is less than the original Tesla spring) for a more robust opening. I do have the spare 9605 spring but fitting two springs seems odd to me as opposed to finding one that is a good compromise between robust open and moderate closing pressure.

I have the AM3316 - it's better than the factory spring but could do with being a tad weaker - so the frunk can be shut with a lighter touch.

I was thinking the following might be better than the AM3316

Flexo Springs - MO 6010 12mm x 50mm x 1.5mm Rate 2.24 N/mm

but yes, they have that £9+vat min charge (+ £6 + vat delivery).
Okay, being willing to be part of the beta team on this, I have now ordered 2x AM3316 (since it sounds like a workable option albeit possibly stronger than needed), 1x MO6010, and 1x AP3416. I will report back after I have them.

Okay, being willing to be part of the beta team on this, I have now ordered 2x AM3316 (since it sounds like a workable option albeit possibly stronger than needed), 1x MO6010, and 1x AP3416. I will report back after I have them.

Great!

I have also ordered 1 x 12.7mm x 52mm x 1.6mm from Springs and Things.

Hopefully one of these springs will be the ideal one and we can sell to millions! or at least recommend to others :)

Crazy how so much time and money can be spent on a little spring.

Does it work OK?

The spring in the link of my original post was about the same as the one that comes with the car. I ended up getting a 48mm length of one of these instead and it works like a charm... I can easily close the frunk gently with one hand and it doesn't come unlatched.

I would point out that I also bought the stronger frunk struts from Abstract Ocean so the frunk opens 'automatically' (well it does most of the time). Without those struts the frunk doesn't pop up much (barely at all) with the softer spring - I could get my fingers in to open it though.